Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud whirring sound in dash when speed is less than 15mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just used supercharging for the first time and I started to hear really loud noise when j switch the car out of parking. The noise happens during reverse or when the car is less than 15 miles. I have attached video file to show this. Anyone have similar problem ? Thanks.

Hi all,

I just used supercharging for the first time and I started to hear really loud noise when j switch the car out of parking. The noise happens during reverse or when the car is less than 15 miles. I have attached video file to show this. Anyone have similar problem ? Thanks.
Miteric -- Just wanted to say I've a new "S" and this behavior just started last night, after the car was simply parked for 3 hours. The sound you posted (very helpful) is exactly my car's sound.
For clarity: increases with pitch and volume as I increase speed, then fades away at 15 mph. Louder in reverse. Playing music produces no change, and no music can be heard.
If anyone has an idea, greatly appreciated.

Hold both steering wheel scroll wheels until the center screen goes blank; the system will reboot.

This is the first time I’ve heard a Tesla make a sound like that! It’s very futuristic and quite fitting. Regardless of how cool it is, it shouldn’t do that.

Thanks for the replies. The sound was really quite loud and irritating. Works well in a Jetson's episode, but a pain in the butt.

Agree, resetting might have cleared it. Since I wasn't that far from home, I just gritted it out and left it over night. In the morning, problem disappeared.

We all love our Teslas, but as a software guy, this ticks me off. Resetting is the "rubber gloves for leaky fountain pens" solution.
Sorry for the noob question, but does Tesla have a bug reporting system?

tnx. B.

We all love our Teslas, but as a software guy, this ticks me off. Resetting is the "rubber gloves for leaky fountain pens" solution.
Sorry for the noob question, but does Tesla have a bug reporting system?

tnx. B.

You can hit the voice button on the steering wheel and say "Bug Report", followed by what the bug is, or just click the contact us link at the bottom of every Tesla Webpage.

Seems like the voice command bug report feature is hit or miss.

does Tesla have a bug reporting system?
Yes, as @Fiver described, and in addition you can also call your local Service Center in Maryland and describe the problem. That is what I would have done in your situation.

You may think that doing a reboot is not a “solution”, but in the modern world of mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, computers, Teslas) that is the first thing to try. Sometimes it works, issue goes away and it might never come back. If it does come back, then contact Tesla.

Did anyone figure out what is causing this? I have experienced the same issue twice now, about a month apart. Same thing where the noise is VERY LOUD below 15mph and goes away above that. The first time it happened I was on the freeway, and all I could think was that I was in the movie Speed and the car would explode if I went under 15...

I've never found out, but then again the noise never returned. As has been stated, I did resets of the system (press, hold steering wheel thumbwheels) and that took care of the problem at the time.
Distressing to hear you've just experienced this problem. I assumed they had "fixed" a known problem. Guess not...
B.