Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud wind noise coming from roof on freeway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this just a characteristic of the Model Y or might there be an issue I should be bringing up in the first 7 days of ownership? It sounds like there is a window that is just barely open but there isn't. And it is definitely coming from the roof and not the sides. Thanks

Is this just a characteristic of the Model Y or might there be an issue I should be bringing up in the first 7 days of ownership? It sounds like there is a window that is just barely open but there isn't. And it is definitely coming from the roof and not the sides. Thanks
Check your seals and roof alignment.

There might be a gap - does it leak water too? That would be a bigger problem. Look closely or listen closely to where the sound is coming in from, I don't think it should sound like a window is open.

I put it through a car wash during the first few days to confirm it wouldn't leak and I didn't see any leakage. I have a service appointment for another fix next week so I will have them check the seals and alignment at the same time. Thanks.

Model 3 owners complained about wind noise. There’s “kits” you can buy of basically neoprene foam to fill the gaps.

Example:
BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Wind Noise Reduction Kit Quiet Seal Kit 4.0 Upgraded https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z765JMR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PL6bFbRA3F0JJ

To check side window tightness, and old trick is to roll up the window on a dollar bill and look for loose spots then adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Model 3 owners complained about wind noise. There’s “kits” you can buy of basically neoprene foam to fill the gaps.

Example:
BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Wind Noise Reduction Kit Quiet Seal Kit 4.0 Upgraded https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z765JMR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PL6bFbRA3F0JJ

To check side window tightness, and old trick is to roll up the window on a dollar bill and look for loose spots then adjust accordingly.

Thanks for this but should I really have to be dealing with this with a 7-day old car? Shouldn't this be addressed and rectified by Tesla Service?

I don't believe it is characteristic of the car. I don't have any abnormal noise at freeway speeds.

If you get a decibel app on your phone and give us a reading at various speeds, maybe some of us can do the same and compare?

Might be hard depending on road/surface quality but I think we'll probably get a good consensus here.

I think part of the problem is that many don’t know what abnormal noise sounds like.

People freak out and ask about any noise, it seems.

I really don't think I'm "freaking out" over the obvious excessive wind noise in the cabin of the MY. I just came from an Audi Q5, before that a Lexus, before that a Range Rover. There wasn't anything near this kind of wind noise in any of those cabins. I really want to believe that this is specific to my car and can be fixed and not really how it sounds in every MY. I'll try to do a decibel reading and let you know. Good idea!

Check your gap between windshield and ceiling glass. If its large...that is probably where the noise is coming from and you should buy the rpm tesla wind noise reduction kit or the cheaper knockoffs as linked to above.

I went ahead and bought the wind noise reduction kit...with the door noise reduction kit from rpm tesla, just to try out. I didn't previously notice abnormal high speed wind noise...but it was cheap enough to try out to see if there would be a difference. But...my gap was too small and I couldn't even install it so I sent it back. I most likely don't have a "wind noise" problem, which...I"m happy about of course.

Since all panel gaps on teslas are not created equal...I assume you have a larger than normal windshield to ceiling glass gap.

Reactions: captanzuelo

ooh, I hear something like this too. The first few times I thought I had left a rear window slightly open. That's what it sounds like to me. I don't hear it on the 3. I normally have music playing so noises aren't that obvious. A friend who test drove the vehicle didn't notice it. I'll have to pay more attention and see if it is coming from the roof.