Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Louvers not opening during supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5EF127E7-CA19-4ABB-9040-94E6989B7E14.jpeg

Look at the schematic above I’m only guessing, but there are two gray “lines” (one left and one right) just behind the main radiator (#1) and off to the sides. I believe those might be the main louvers you speak of and have a picture of.

Notice the multiple lines in front of the left and right radiators (#11). I believe those are the visible louvers by the fog lights.

I never heard back from Tesla's 'reviewing my logs and getting back to me'.

Since then it worked fine for one trip day. Other trips the louvers did not open at all. It was hot outside and similar %soc so I would have expected similar behaviors.

It's going into the service center tomorrow for some unrelated recall fixes. I will update when I know more.

This happened to my 2013 and the louvers needed to be replaced with a "louver retrofit". Apparently there has been a redesign. My louvers also did not open during supercharging and and I received an alert regarding reduced cooling performance while the car was supercharging. In other words, it could not cool the cabin and the battery at the same time so cabin cooling was compromised. I called Tesla service, they saw the error immediately when they pulled up my VIN on their computer, and scheduled me for an emergency louver replacement at a service center closest to my destination. Amazing service!
AmpedRealtor, were you charged for this, was it under warranty, or was it goodwilled? PM me if you prefer.

I am being given a quote of over $600 to replace the throat louvers, including oddly related elements such as two wiring harnesses, the horn, and the key fob antenna. And I am being told that my Battery Coolant Heater has failed, which was causing Contactor resistance issues, but that is somehow completely unrelated to non-functioning and permanently closed throat louvers.