Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to program louvers (sinc) on 2012 tesla s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi there,
i just replaced one of the louvers on my model s and i dont know how to sinc both to be open during supercharging.
as of now only in the morning at first sturtup when you open driver door both louvers open and after 10 sec. close and stay closed all the time.
went to service mode and thermal test was ok and only error was showing that there is no feed back from left and right louvers.....what should be issue here ??

There is no issues with overheating but just wondering how to get louvers shutters working .Is there any temperature sensor that must be replaced or something else.Taking new firmware update didnt help.

Attachments

• 20230917_170034.jpg
    20230917_170034.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 172
  • 20230812_132057.jpg
    20230812_132057.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 107
All actuator, motors working fine ,front right louver assembly is new.single wire connecter to condersor was actually actuator wire for fob key not temperature sensor like someone posted on youtube.How to synchronize both shutters is question.

Attachments

• 20230713_160534.jpg
    20230713_160534.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20230801_140721.jpg
    20230801_140721.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230713_144602.jpg
    20230713_144602.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230801_161806.jpg
    20230801_161806.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20230801_161809.jpg
    20230801_161809.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230801_140721.jpg
    20230801_140721.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 98
I believe you need access to Tesla's Toolbox subscription to sync and calibrate the louvers. I'm getting a similar error for the right radiator shutter not getting feedback despite the louvers opening/closing and the temperature on the surface of the radiators being between 104-116F while Supercharging. I'm not sure if the error is because there is something physically wrong with the hardware or a software glitch during a patch update.

The errors in service mode are a known false-positive. The logic/algorithm for the louvers on our older cars changed (for the worse IMO) over time. Mine only seem to open like what you describe - for tens secs when sometimes first opening a door. I don’t supercharge much, but the last time I did, they did not open.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and danielk04
Here is from tesla s manual details about louvers.still is question how to synchronize them.
Correct answer is:
I believe you need access to Tesla's Toolbox subscription to sync and calibrate the louvers.
I have described the process here.
The errors in service mode are a known false-positive.
That claim does not have to be always correct even though I've been told the same many times. For example in my case I believe it didn't apply. My louvers were 100% mechanically OK. They just randomly opened and closed when I moved with the key around the car. They never opened when hot and supercharging even the fans were super loud. I used to have also the related faults in service menu (CondRightShutterNoFeedbk or so..). After I run the calibration process via offline Toolbox 2.1 I went to Supercharger and the side louvers opened, the two faults had disappeared. Nevertheless the Radiator faults remained (my thought is that it's somehow based on the usage of the louvers within some time after calibration).

Even now while pretty cold outside (+-10°C out there) when I supercharge for a longer time with power >100kW the car heats the battery first and after a while when it reaches temp +-40°C louvers opens and help to cool the battery - yes, it seems not to be the most energy efficient way, but the most time efficient. So that's what I'd expect as normal behavior. Also the fans are not that loud as they used to be before louvers worked.

Correct answer is:

I have described the process here.

That claim does not have to be always correct even though I've been told the same many times. For example in my case I believe it didn't apply. My louvers were 100% mechanically OK. They just randomly opened and closed when I moved with the key around the car. They never opened when hot and supercharging even the fans were super loud. I used to have also the related faults in service menu (CondRightShutterNoFeedbk or so..). After I run the calibration process via offline Toolbox 2.1 I went to Supercharger and the side louvers opened, the two faults had disappeared. Nevertheless the Radiator faults remained (my thought is that it's somehow based on the usage of the louvers within some time after calibration).

Even now while pretty cold outside (+-10°C out there) when I supercharge for a longer time with power >100kW the car heats the battery first and after a while when it reaches temp +-40°C louvers opens and help to cool the battery - yes, it seems not to be the most energy efficient way, but the most time efficient. So that's what I'd expect as normal behavior. Also the fans are not that loud as they used to be before louvers worked.
Thanks for the details. What I meant was that they are false-positives in terms of people interpreting them as the louvres are bad/have failed. A software issue for sure as you’ve pointed out Toolbox reset has worked for you. Mine still open when when my car’s in the garage, but not while supercharging. Been prob three years since they did that, even in summer temps and low SoC. Fans are screaming like jet engines, but louvres closed.

Thanks for the details. What I meant was that they are false-positives in terms of people interpreting them as the louvres are bad/have failed. A software issue for sure as you’ve pointed out Toolbox reset has worked for you. Mine still open when when my car’s in the garage, but not while supercharging. Been prob three years since they did that, even in summer temps and low SoC. Fans are screaming like jet engines, but louvres closed.
Sorry, got you wrong.. Now it's clear..seems like you're experiencing the same symptoms as me, so there might be a clear solution..

i thing must be toolbox programing needed or just bad connection in wire loom, i will do more research next spring .now i like to see how will go thrue winter being closed all time except cold start in the morning.thank you guys for all replys its so helpfull in order to find solution for this " simple "issue

I am having this same issue and not sure how to troubleshoot it. I was thinking maybe I wire it up to a switch on the dash and manually open it when I know the car needs it during supercharging in the heat of the summer. Anyone tried that?
Meh, I don’t think it’s that detrimental to warrant hard wiring. Having them open during supercharging is absolutely beneficial, but even if they remain closed the air does have a pace to go (front end not a totally sealed env).
Tweet at Elon for a fix? Please include turning the auto wiper freq of position one back to the way it was in ‘15 please. 😀

Reactions: xAgyex and hydro
I am having this same issue and not sure how to troubleshoot it. I was thinking maybe I wire it up to a switch on the dash and manually open it when I know the car needs it during supercharging in the heat of the summer. Anyone tried that?
It would be probably a bit difficult as the actuators are LIN bus driven, not by analog signal +5/12V or so... Also I think it's better when the car controls it as it knows also the feedback so for examole the fans don't have to run at max rpm and so on....

• Informative
Reactions: maximizese
Meh, I don’t think it’s that detrimental to warrant hard wiring. Having them open during supercharging is absolutely beneficial, but even if they remain closed the air does have a pace to go (front end not a totally sealed env).
Tweet at Elon for a fix? Please include turning the auto wiper freq of position one back to the way it was in ‘15 please. 😀
I have had my closed for years now, and yes hasn't been a problem, but I do have very slow super charging at all times. I just don't sweat it when I am traveling...I take it slow anyways. But if it is a simple problem with a simple fix then I would take that. I will Tweet, but I don't think my calls go answered hahaha.

well heat distribution isnt big issue because we can see new tesla with face lift they dont use louvers anymore.

i a;m trying to understand wher is heat sensor and what louvers have to do in order to be calibrated.

must be some solution other than go via tool box software

.manualy overide switch can de3finitly work but what to do with feedback signal from louvers that are not acctual
ly connected to main harness only to new wires controled by switch inside cabin.

i think manual overide will be benefitial in this case considering that tesla will not release any updated firmware for cailibrating louvers by itself

still question is why in the morning after cold start louvers open and after 10 sec. close that was mi8stery for ever???¿!!!!

I finally got the RH Passenger fixed via Q Bond with plastic reinforcing powders and now it needs to be calibrated and synced?

I wonder if I can just go on without these louvers and perhaps diy a grille for the opening on both side. Any other options?

looks like only tesla tool box can fixed this louvers out of sync issue.

i was playing with passanger side louver adjusting vents and selecting different levels and fan speeds and i got it working ,warrning message disappeared from service menu and now its only one from driver side left over.

its more fun like this work in progress.