Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only get 150 kw max at supercharger in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when you say battery fully preconditioned, what do you mean exactly? did you enter the supercharger in the navigation, see the conditioning message appear and drive until it disappeared before you arrived at the SC? Did the car show the new "battery too cold for optimal charging" message?
EDIT: and you're sure it was a 250kW?

Reactions: Zoomit
There are several sites that were originally 150kw, and were expanded to include new 250kw stalls. Usually they have a sign on top of the pedestal. But the real identifier is the size of the cable. The new 250kw actually have smaller cables because they are liquid cooled to prevent overheating.

I routinely use 2 SC sites (West Lebanon, NH and Brattleboro, VT) that started out as early v2 150kW sites. Later Tesla doubled the size of both, adding 250kW v3's.

They did not upgrade the existing stations (still 150kW v2), and the did not label which is which. If you don't know what to look for, you could easily plug into a v2 by mistake at either of the sites.

The burst of >150kW charging is so short before it tapers to <150kW that the impact to your total charging time is pretty minimal anyway. Personally, I'd rather use a v2 if I have the choice and minimize stress on my battery.

Reactions: archae86
when you say battery fully preconditioned, what do you mean exactly? did you enter the supercharger in the navigation, see the conditioning message appear and drive until it disappeared before you arrived at the SC? Did the car show the new "battery too cold for optimal charging" message?
EDIT: and you're sure it was a 250kW?
yes to the first two questions. I did not see the message of battery too cold And the app shows it has 250 KW.

Middletown, DE​

What is the specific supercharger? Check for it at tesla.com/findus and make sure it isn't one of those mixed 150/250 sites (so that there's no way you could have plugged into a 150 by accident).

What is the specific supercharger? Check for it at tesla.com/findus and make sure it isn't one of those mixed 150/250 sites (so that there's no way you could have plugged into a 150 by accident).

Supercharger
Wawa
5018 Summit Bridge Road Middletown, DE 94020
Driving Directions

Roadside Assistance Number (877) 798-3752

Charging
8 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 250kW

Amenities
restaurants
wifi
shopping
beverage
restrooms
View all Tesla Location

I myself experienced the same situation at 2 superchargers on my way back to NY from MASS that both displayed 250KW on the navigation and also on PlugShare. I did see the preconditioning battery while en route probably for 30 minutes or more and had been traveling prior (battery was not cold and it was a destination on my GPS). Fairfield southbound supercharger Connecticut and Lisbon landing supercharger Connecticut. Both for 150KW.

On my way up to Mass I did stop at the Charlton supercharger off 90 and did received 250KW.

Middletown, DE​

Supercharger
Wawa
5018 Summit Bridge Road Middletown, DE 94020
Driving Directions

Roadside Assistance Number (877) 798-3752

Charging
8 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 250kW

Amenities
restaurants
wifi
shopping
beverage
restrooms
View all Tesla Location
Definitely a V3 site. However, 250kw is max. Doesn’t mean it will be 250kw every time. You seem to know it is reliant on battery temp and exterior temp but there are other factors.

How long did you drive before arriving at the charger? Since you are in Delaware, did you just plug in the location in to the nav when you left your house?

My house is less than 5 minutes from the supercharger so I do’nt expect preconditioning. However I recently took a 60 mile trip and started on Autopilot navigating back to the Supercharger. Temp was in the 50’s. Trip took an hour and 10 minutes. Mostly 50-55MPH. Preconditioning went on and off during the trip. Arrived at 39%. Initial rate went to 171kw but rapidly dropped and pretty much leveled off at 58kw when reaching 80%.

My house is less than 5 minutes from the supercharger so I do’nt expect preconditioning. However I recently took a 60 mile trip and started on Autopilot navigating back to the Supercharger. Temp was in the 50’s. Trip took an hour and 10 minutes. Mostly 50-55MPH. Preconditioning went on and off during the trip. Arrived at 39%. Initial rate went to 171kw but rapidly dropped and pretty much leveled off at 58kw when reaching 80%.
That's normal in my experience. I only ever get 250kw if the SOC is under 20%. Even then, it's only at 250 for maybe a few minutes at most, very rapidly ramps down under 200, and continues to ramp down as the SOC rises. Near 80% it will only be charging at around 40-50kw.

That's just how batteries work, they can't take full kw at higher SOC.

That's normal in my experience. I only ever get 250kw if the SOC is under 20%. Even then, it's only at 250 for maybe a few minutes at most, very rapidly ramps down under 200, and continues to ramp down as the SOC rises. Near 80% it will only be charging at around 40-50kw.

That's just how batteries work, they can't take full kw at higher SOC.
1702929540534.png

Reactions: Mrbrock