Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low frequency sound/air pressure sensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all-

I will finalize my order next week (probably P85 white), and test drove a P85 yesterday in Menlo Park.
I loved the drive, as did my wife. We have been test driving a number of car of late, including Maserati GT, Jaguar XF supercharged and Porsche Panamera S.
None of these cars come close - in fact, the wife nailed it: the Tesla feels so much lighter. I believe it is because of the instant acceleration, which _does_ make the car feel so agile.

Let me come to the question that I have for you, worthy members of this community:
as I was driving yesterday, I was bothered by some kind of low frequency booming 'sound'. It is so low frequency that I hesitate to call it a sound, more like a air pressure variation, akin to what you feel when you have only one window open in a car, and you feel the pressure variation. But I clearly felt it, mostly around 20mph.
The sales guys did not feel it (he was sitting at the back).

Has anyone experienced this? For those who have, please let me know if you have the pano roof (as I suspect it may cause this sensation).

It is the only thing thing bugging me at this stage.

Many thanks to all. I will post more post delivery I guess.

Saw this on a "hidden features" post:

-If you experience a very low frequency pressure fluctuation on certain roads (like you're inside a bass drum being thwacked), adjust the two set screws with bumpers on them inside the rear liftgate. This will stop the hatch from oscillating under certain road conditions.

The other possibility is that you are hearing the climate control heat pump compressor, located under the frunk. It's variable speed so can generate subsonic vibrations, like a super low bass note. It's quite noticeable when the car is parked with climate control on and it's working hard to achieve the set point. Some people may not be able to hear it.

You're not the only one. Far from it. There's a thread somewhere in here where a few of us discuss this. The rubber screw trick definitely helped *a lot* for me, although I still feel it from time to time.

Search the forum for "buffeting" and you'll find the old posts.

And rest assured, you're not insane.

Or, at least... *this* isn't why you're insane.