Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Model X Reservation Number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming reservation

I don't think the OP is getting Tesla involved which is different than what others have tried to do in the past (sell their reservation spot). He's accepting delivery of the vehicle and then selling the 'used' new car to someone else knowing they might lose tax incentives. I agree with Nigel though that it would be hard to make the deal seem financially appealing enough but if someone is desperate enough for a Model X it's possible.

Its obvious that Tesla does not allow this but of course you can work out a deal to take over a car as soon as it is available. . It may seem impractical to the "average car buyer" but so is paying cash for a car, buying a car off the internet on say Ebay, or say putting down $5000 for a car you have never seen that has not even been built and waiting 3 years, to the the "average car buyer".

I would think mainly affluent Tesla buyers willing to part with $5000 and wait years would be a little more creative than most.People buy "options" to buy real estate all the time. You are simply paying someone for the right to buy their car immediately after delivery. If original owner never registers the car I dont believe you pay sales tax as you pay that at your DMV when you register the car for the first time, so its not double tax. As long as the original buyer agrees that he is not claiming the tax deduction their is nothing that stops the new buyer from claiming it. You just cant both do it. Again no different than if someone buys a rental property mid year, both people cant claim the deductions for it. If original owner claims the deduction than it is he who is defrauding the goverment and the new owner can certainly prove that he was the first person to register the car (even if not first on title). Thats if it ever comes up at all (dont think this is a high priority for the IRS)

Lastly, there are thousands of people who have a paid a premium to a dealer to be the first to get the latest say Corvette (dealer calls it a "market value adjustment" to be cute). Why would anyone be suprised that a well off exec would be willing to pay a premium to be first on a Tesla product. You can put money in 3rd party escrow company to keep the players honest. I thought Tesla was about thinking outside the box.

If original owner never registers the car I dont believe you pay sales tax as you pay that at your DMV when you register the car for the first time, so its not double tax.
Depends on the state. In all that I'm familiar with that collect sales tax, the initial buyer must title the car in their name prior to selling it, and the mere act of titling triggers a sales tax liability (unless the initial buyer is a dealer). So yes, it would be double taxed.

As long as the original buyer agrees that he is not claiming the tax deduction their is nothing that stops the new buyer from claiming it.
First buyer only. There's a lot of misinformation out there that says "If the federal credit was never used, a subsequent owner can claim it". Not true. The point of the program is to help manufacturers sell electric cars, not to encourage resale of them. You may get away with it, but you're skating on thin ice.

- - - Updated - - -

Take delivery in NJ? :p
NH has a non-resident title/registration program, which could work, too (don't quote me on that).

Last edited:
First buyer only. There's a lot of misinformation out there that says "If the federal credit was never used, a subsequent owner can claim it". Not true. The point of the program is to help manufacturers sell electric cars, not to encourage resale of them. You may get away with it, but your skating on thin ice.

Yup. The official language is that the "original use must commence with the taxpayer". Original use doesn't cover use as a dealer demonstrator / inventory car.

It's true that the IRS might not catch you if you are the second owner and claim it, because they go by a database of VINs in looking at previous claims; but if audited, you'd be responsible for paying that back plus penalties and interest.

I have a reservation for an X lower than 400, and would be willing to explore a post-purchase transfer for someone interested in getting one of the early Model X's. I'm in no hurry, could wait another year for mine. Need to figure this out in the next month as ordering is getting closer.

With 25,000 reservations now and a stated 1,000+ per week build rate by year end - why worry about getting a low number? Just order one up and enjoy later builds which will not have any early issues that may occur like the early MS builds did.

With 25,000 reservations now and a stated 1,000+ per week build rate by year end - why worry about getting a low number? Just order one up and enjoy later builds which will not have any early issues that may occur like the early MS builds did.

If conservatively 20% of those reservations bought Model S "D", have already cancelled or will defer because the timing isn't right, (I think it's higher than that), and they achieve their targeted 1,000 MX build rate by year end, that's still 20 weeks or 5 months until an order made today would be delivered. So there might be people out there who want to pay a premium to the OP to drive an X this winter.

I'm hoping many people sub-P#83 have either upgraded to Sig, bought a Model S "D", cancelled after all the delays, or will defer. I want a really low Production serial number since I intend to keep mine in the family for a long time. I'm not worried about any early bugs, since I live just 10 minutes from Tesla Factory Service.

The Model X will become an instant classic IMHO, just as Model S has, and win all the awards. Except, with the falcon wings, someone's Founder or Signature X will be sitting on display in the Smithsonian someday... :smile: