Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low vs High Mileage 2016 Model S P100D's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm sure this has been talked about in some capacity but I'm trying to make a switch to my first EV ever. I'm looking at two P100d's Same Spec/same options as my dream spec both are 2016s heated and cooled seats/sunroof NO FREE SUPERCHARGING since both are from dealers.
Car 1. $53.5k 26k Miles No FSD, No mcu2 upgrade
Car 2. $49.9k 72k Miles No FSD No Premium sound(which sucks because the premium to me is really good), I believe it has the mcu2 It's the weekend so I couldn't get to this dealer in time to confirm but when they took a picture of the backup cam there were two displays showing the side cam view Car 1 did not. I test drove a 2019 Performance but that deal fell through, but it had that same feature with obviously the updated software/tech.

Lets assume Car 2 has the mcu2 which I know is definitely needed because that old tech is a BIT laggy. Which car might be the better buy?

Both cars are too far to test but I can get a PPI for both.

Is it really worth it to save 3.5k?

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr_Joe
Go put the two VIN numbers in Carvanas website and request a quote. Now come back here and post their value.
I'm seeing what you're saying but I'm also seeing that there's basically no point in buying a P100D at all at any of these prices. Like I said the cheapest p100d I'm seeing right now is 47k across the country. Lol idk man is carvana actually the measuring stick when their stock has plummeted completely and can't even actually offer up real value for cars?

Reactions: byeLT4 and ucmndd
I'm seeing what you're saying but I'm also seeing that there's basically no point in buying a P100D at all at any of these prices. Like I said the cheapest p100d I'm seeing right now is 47k across the country. Lol idk man is carvana actually the measuring stick when their stock has plummeted completely and can't even actually offer up real value for cars?

It provides insight into what those dealerships own those two vehicles for (less 10-15% for profit). At the end of the day, you decide if your willing to buy a 6yr old robot for 50% off.

Reactions: morbidz
Attempting to answer your question instead of clueless and unsolicited commentary on pricing:

I think you'll want MCU2. It really transforms the whole car. That said, I think you'll also want the premium audio. I'm generally not afraid of high miles on these cars (My late 2016 MS has 160k miles), and I'd probably go for the cheaper car with higher miles if it had UHFS, but I'm not sure I'm willing to live without the better stereo.

It provides insight into what those dealerships own those two vehicles for (less 10-15% for profit). At the end of the day, you decide if your willing to buy a 6yr old robot for 50% off.
I think that that's actually irrelevant and what's more relevant is what's being sold at the time and what's moving off the lot currently. Priced for P100D's have been dropping since the beginning/middle of last year. I could put any car into the Carvana site and get an even lower value for it than what's being sold by almost every dealer..

Attempting to answer your question instead of clueless and unsolicited commentary on pricing:

I think you'll want MCU2. It really transforms the whole car. That said, I think you'll also want the premium audio. I'm generally not afraid of high miles on these cars (My late 2016 MS has 160k miles), and I'd probably go for the cheaper car with higher miles if it had UHFS, but I'm not sure I'm willing to live without the better stereo.
Thank you for answering I can shell out 2.5k NP if needed but yeah I cant live without a good sound system. However I see the model S is so easy to just update the sound..

So I'm sure this has been talked about in some capacity but I'm trying to make a switch to my first EV ever. I'm looking at two P100d's Same Spec/same options as my dream spec both are 2016s heated and cooled seats/sunroof NO FREE SUPERCHARGING since both are from dealers.
Car 1. $53.5k 26k Miles No FSD, No mcu2 upgrade
Car 2. $49.9k 72k Miles No FSD No Premium sound(which sucks because the premium to me is really good), I believe it has the mcu2 It's the weekend so I couldn't get to this dealer in time to confirm but when they took a picture of the backup cam there were two displays showing the side cam view Car 1 did not. I test drove a 2019 Performance but that deal fell through, but it had that same feature with obviously the updated software/tech.

Lets assume Car 2 has the mcu2 which I know is definitely needed because that old tech is a BIT laggy. Which car might be the better buy?

Both cars are too far to test but I can get a PPI for both.

Is it really worth it to save 3.5k?

I would find out what the estimated range is at 100% charge on both cars. In my opinion, battery degradation is more important than the mileage on the car until you are ready to resell. Then it becomes mileage on the car, and you will want to unload the car before the warranties run dry (expensive HV/DU components). For about 10% cost difference to get nearly a quarter of the miles...should be an obvious choice ;)

MCU1 is fine - it takes less than a minute for my car to wake up after not driving it for a day, and thereafter parking/driving is instant. The screen refresh rate is not bad either, so unless you really want access to the games, browser functionality, or need/want near-instant wake up in the morning, I don't see much value until you have leaking MCU1 dash screen. It's roughly $1,500 + $500 if you want to retain fm/am radio.

Go put the two VIN numbers in Carvanas website and request a quote. Now come back here and post their value.

That is infinitely irrelevant unless you are interested in what less than wholesale pricing looks like. Only fools and the desperate would sell their car to a website that is buying them at under wholesale.

Now, if you said compare to Carvana's website pricing, you'd have a leg to stand on.

I would find out what the estimated range is at 100% charge on both cars. In my opinion, battery degradation is more important than the mileage on the car until you are ready to resell. Then it becomes mileage on the car, and you will want to unload the car before the warranties run dry (expensive HV/DU components). For about 10% cost difference to get nearly a quarter of the miles...should be an obvious choice ;)

MCU1 is fine - it takes less than a minute for my car to wake up after not driving it for a day, and thereafter parking/driving is instant. The screen refresh rate is not bad either, so unless you really want access to the games, browser functionality, or need/want near-instant wake up in the morning, I don't see much value until you have leaking MCU1 dash screen. It's roughly $1,500 + $500 if you want to retain fm/am radio.
I'm now off both of those cars XD and I'm interested in a 2018 P100d $54k 46k miles and a 2020 Long Range S $55k 41k miles. Both great cars and have all the specs needed..... ahhhh idk what to do I think the P100D is the best bang for buck and has the MCU2 upgrade

Just for reference. Neighbor just sold 2016.5 P100DL with no fsd / mcu1/ 44K miles clean carfax heated/cooled seats prett much loaded 58K
FREE Supercharging 4 life
Msrp around 142K

He stated buyer specifically was searching for a car with free super charging so obviously those cars are becoming unicorns and will bring a significant premium

Last edited:
Just for reference. Neighbor just sold 2016.5 P100DL with no fsd / mcu1/ 44K miles clean carfax. 58K
FREE Supercharging 4 life
Yeah these things aren't going for super cheap. The Free supercharging is a game changer. This one I'm picking up 2018 MCU2/FSD/Premium Sound Heated and cooled seats. Everything i wanted but no free supercharging :(. How much money is it to really get a full charge on lets say 250 miles?