TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lower and lower miles.....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RYCO, Aug 13, 2016.

1. RYCO

RYCO Member

I have had my refreshed S90D since the beginning of June '16. When I would charge it to the recomended daily charge, it would go to like 272 miles. Slowly its getting less and less. After just over 4k miles, this morning its at 265 at a full recomended daily charge. I have done a few 100% charges on trips and such, but just 3 or 4 times. Whats up with that?

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Have you run it down to 10-20% and then done a full 100% charge? It needs that from time to time to rebalance and recalibrate the rated range. If that doesn't work best to complain in writing to your Service Center.

3. RYCO

RYCO Member

Ok, ill try that. Last week i did draw it to 10% and only charged it to the 90% daily charge though. Ill have to try that again.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

L
    let us know your results.

5. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

90% of 294 = 264.6
    Seems to me it is right where it should be.

• Like x 1
  6. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Battery degregation is the worst the first year. I wouldn't panic.

7. msnow

msnow Active Member

Yep, I missed that. You're good at 265 the 272 was an outlier.

8. travwill

travwill Member

265 is perfect really at 90%. But you'll likely continue to see some degradation in the first year mainly, and a little more if you are in a colder season climate during the Winter - 50-60 degrees and less... But it should stabilize after the first year, maybe after 2% loss on average, down to about 260 or so.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

I've seen some degradation on my P85DL. 90% used to be 227 miles. It's now down to 225 miles after 25K miles.

10. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I'm getting 247 at 90% on my 90D that isn't even a year old so.... I think you're fine... :)

Jeff

11. robert774

robert774 Member

If you're adjusting the charge level with the in-car on-screen controls you might not be at 90% ... You might actually be at 89%. I set my daily charge to 80% and I found that when I adjust with the car settings and later look at them with an app like the Remote S app that lets you apply a numerical percentage, the amount may be off be a percent one way or the other. This could explain your situation.

Please download one of those apps or use Visible Tesla to determine the exact charge percent you are using.

Good luck.

12. RYCO

RYCO Member

I have checked it on the car switching to energy and miles. It's charging to 90%. I guess android doesn't have those apps either.

13. RYCO

RYCO Member

So, I got it down to about 18% then did a trip charge to 100%. Seemed to work as it said my rated miles was 294. Interesting though, I drive it to work and ended up having a late job so I drive my 2015 GMC 2500 home and left the tesla at my office. (I was covered in mud and didn't want it to get all over my tesla.) Leaving the tesla at my office at 204 miles at 8 am yesterday, not plugged in, when I got in it today after work, at 5 pm, it was at 193. What causes 11 miles to go away in 30 hours or so? Is that normal? It was like 110 degrees during the day.

14. Maximus8

Maximus8 Member

Probably cooling the battery. Do you have temperature conditioning active?

15. zambono

zambono Member

I've always had 265 at 90%

16. RYCO

RYCO Member

What is that? The temperature conditioning? Are you talking about running the air conditioning while I'm not in a car? If so no I did not have that active.

17. byan1232

byan1232 Member

@jeffro01 Whoa... less than a year and 90% at 247? Can you say that is a defect and have the SC replace the battery? I'm at 255 at 90% with my 90D. I've driven a little over 14k miles and took delivery 3/14/16

18. msnow

msnow Active Member

He's talking about "Smart Preconditioning".

19. RYCO

RYCO Member

What is smart preconditioning? Is that where the AC kicks on automatically when it thinks you're going to get in the car soon? If so that is turned off.

20. msnow

msnow Active Member

Yes, this is from the Owners Manual:
    • "Smart Preconditioning: If on, Model S predicts your driving schedule and automatically

adjusts the temperature of the cabin based on your last set temperature and your driving schedule, making Model S comfortable and ready to drive. It may take some time for Model S to learn your driving habits and if you do not have a regular driving schedule, it will be unable to identify a pattern.

Note: To conserve energy in situations where Model S has a low charge level, smart preconditioning may not occur.

Note: Smart Preconditioning is available only if you save your home and work locations

(see Favorite Destinations on page 118) "