Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower and lower miles.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my refreshed S90D since the beginning of June '16. When I would charge it to the recomended daily charge, it would go to like 272 miles. Slowly its getting less and less. After just over 4k miles, this morning its at 265 at a full recomended daily charge. I have done a few 100% charges on trips and such, but just 3 or 4 times. Whats up with that?

Have you run it down to 10-20% and then done a full 100% charge? It needs that from time to time to rebalance and recalibrate the rated range. If that doesn't work best to complain in writing to your Service Center.

265 is perfect really at 90%. But you'll likely continue to see some degradation in the first year mainly, and a little more if you are in a colder season climate during the Winter - 50-60 degrees and less... But it should stabilize after the first year, maybe after 2% loss on average, down to about 260 or so.

If you're adjusting the charge level with the in-car on-screen controls you might not be at 90% ... You might actually be at 89%. I set my daily charge to 80% and I found that when I adjust with the car settings and later look at them with an app like the Remote S app that lets you apply a numerical percentage, the amount may be off be a percent one way or the other. This could explain your situation.

Please download one of those apps or use Visible Tesla to determine the exact charge percent you are using.

Good luck.

So, I got it down to about 18% then did a trip charge to 100%. Seemed to work as it said my rated miles was 294. Interesting though, I drive it to work and ended up having a late job so I drive my 2015 GMC 2500 home and left the tesla at my office. (I was covered in mud and didn't want it to get all over my tesla.) Leaving the tesla at my office at 204 miles at 8 am yesterday, not plugged in, when I got in it today after work, at 5 pm, it was at 193. What causes 11 miles to go away in 30 hours or so? Is that normal? It was like 110 degrees during the day.

I have had my refreshed S90D since the beginning of June '16. When I would charge it to the recomended daily charge, it would go to like 272 miles. Slowly its getting less and less. After just over 4k miles, this morning its at 265 at a full recomended daily charge. I have done a few 100% charges on trips and such, but just 3 or 4 times. Whats up with that?

I've always had 265 at 90%

What is smart preconditioning? Is that where the AC kicks on automatically when it thinks you're going to get in the car soon? If so that is turned off.
Yes, this is from the Owners Manual:
  • "Smart Preconditioning: If on, Model S predicts your driving schedule and automatically

adjusts the temperature of the cabin based on your last set temperature and your driving schedule, making Model S comfortable and ready to drive. It may take some time for Model S to learn your driving habits and if you do not have a regular driving schedule, it will be unable to identify a pattern.

Note: To conserve energy in situations where Model S has a low charge level, smart preconditioning may not occur.

Note: Smart Preconditioning is available only if you save your home and work locations

(see Favorite Destinations on page 118) "