Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowered suspension or just bigger wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this pic on Twitter from an owner in South Carolina. The gap in he wheel well looks smaller than what we've seen so far indicating either a lowered suspension or bigger wheels. Thoughts? I really like this look :)

IMG_9806.jpg

I cant imagine they would lower a Model 3 mule/RC/early production car just for the sake of lowering it.. at least not using traditional lowering methods. So unless this is a Model 3 fitted with some prototype air suspension (which I personally doubt), I would have to say its just the illusion of a smaller gap on a car fitted with the larger wheels.

I agree though.. it looks much much better than what I'm used to seeing.

Last edited:
I suppose its possible.. but, I wouldnt think they would make the 20" wheel look exactly like the 19" wheel. And even if it was a 20" wheel, the wheel gap shouldnt change, unless you think they're rolling on a meatier (higher sidewall/profile) tire to fill the gap.. which would throw off the speedo n' all that.

The original silver alpha had 20 inch wheels that were the same as the now current 19 inch wheels. I have to believe this car has air suspension on it due to the ride height and judging by the fender gap. Could be doing testing/tuning with larger wheels and air suspension.

putting bigger wheels on a car will not make it drastically lower.

my guess is that this one is probably lower from factory as a prototype or used for ads etc, the lower stance makes the car look more appealing. you see this a lot from other auto manufacturers

I suppose its possible.. but, I wouldnt think they would make the 20" wheel look exactly like the 19" wheel. And even if it was a 20" wheel, the wheel gap shouldnt change, unless you think they're rolling on a meatier (higher sidewall/profile) tire to fill the gap.. which would throw off the speedo n' all that.

You are correct. Wheel well gap does not change when you change tire/wheel combos IF the combo meets the same aspect ratio. You all know of the huge low riders with 22" that clearly were not designed for the cars original wheel/tire ratio.

AFAIK it's been rather definitive that there is no air suspension. The larger wheels will have tires with less sidewall, to get the same total diameter, so the most likely explanation is different springs. I've put aftermarket springs on most of my cars over the years and I'm sure there will be many options to do the same on the Model 3 after it's been out for a while.

AFAIK it's been rather definitive that there is no air suspension.
As I recall, at least one of the RC cars was tested with SAS. I don't know if the car pictured was one of them. I think that it is possible that SAS may be part of a performance package when/if it is ever offered on the T3.

Be aware that photography often distorts photos. This photo may be a simple case of distortion.

AFAIK it's been rather definitive that there is no air suspension. The larger wheels will have tires with less sidewall, to get the same total diameter, so the most likely explanation is different springs. I've put aftermarket springs on most of my cars over the years and I'm sure there will be many options to do the same on the Model 3 after it's been out for a while.
Air suspension will most definitely be an option at some point. Being that this is a prototype car of some sort (not production), it is plausible they are doing testing and/or tuning of ride quality.

You are right though, for the cars with coil suspension, there will most definitely be lowering spring available.

Adjustable coil overs are already available for most applications.
That is true, but I think 99% of the people who will want to lower their 3 will use different springs as opposed to swapping out for adjustable coil overs primarily due to cost. Of course the coil overs are far superior but definitely more costly and aimed at more enthusiast application. For someone just going for aesthetics, the springs will achieve that.