Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lowering links, but cheap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If i may interject I have had lots of success buying things from 3rd world countries and sketchy sellers. In fact once I had my identity stolen, but the guy ended up increasing my credit score! win/win!?

I assure you there is a load. The small spring, located inside the sensor, presses with the full force of 0.0564924 newton meters! Yes i measured it :)

Not on mine. The green sensor arms spin freely 360 degrees with the links detached.

I'm going to surmise that your buddy made several mistakes because otherwise those printed links would never break and would last pretty much forever.

1) He probably didn't print at 100% fill which is absolutely required for a critical component. No the links aren't really structural as they really just relay a mechanical signal with no load but they are still critical to safety and need to be solid and strong.

2) He probably use PLA instead of PETG or Polycarbonate. PLA is great for display objects but not so much for a mechanically functioning object.

3) The release joints at the ball where probably still fused with the brim plate. If here was no brim, then the part would have most certainly warped badly at 100% fill.

I surmise that you assume a lot.

You're probably wrong, he does this for a living, reviewed the files and printed a few to test resolution and dimensions. All in All they fit, they work, and they are STRONG as can be.... and if one breaks, guess what??? I have spares in my glove box, can pop one on if an emergency were to surface.

I surmise that you ASSume a lot

You're probably wrong, he does this for a living, reviewed the files and printed a few to test resolution and dimensions. All in All they fit, they work, and they are STRONG as can be.... and if one breaks, guess what??? I have spares in my glove box, can pop one on if an emergency were to surface.

Hopefully I am wrong. That said you should know the print settings and material of any 3d printed component where safety is an issue.