Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Plaid "Refresh" Lowering Links / Spacers 22" Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't seem to find this anywhere, so I did it myself. And I'm too stubborn to pay 3x as much for parts to do this when it's not necessary.

Spacers - 25mm : Amazon.com : $95
Lowering Links : Airlinks Lowering Links for 2012-2020 Tesla Model S with Air Suspension | eBay : $60

First things first. I wanted 20mm spacers initially from research but only came across some overpriced ones. From china, lol. So I found some 25mm ones that actually ended up putting the wheel in a better position IMHO. I torqued them to 99 ft. lbs. (FYI, this car is brand new and wow I couldn't believe how easy it was to get the lugnuts off, the factory does not tighten them much. Maybe 85-90 ft. lbs.).

The lowering links I had to modify. The 2023 Refresh Plaid X is different. The front and rear are the same whereas before the rear had longer ones. So, easy peasy, just cut down the threads on the links and made them shorter. Used a dremel. Used some lithium grease and ensured I used the locking pins to hold them on. NOTE : you'll see on the rear of the X (not sure of the S) that you can't go too long on the links otherwise they bump into a huge screw on some suspension parts. But in the "very low' mode, no rubbing and the tire goes just under the fender. So it worked out perfectly. Another cool thing about the refresh X is that the nipple for the link is removable so it makes it a bit easier to install / remove, etc.

Here's a photo of it on "very low" model:

D0FAE63A-0884-436F-B92F-952DB72AEC74_1_102_o.jpeg

It will always look exaggerated if you don't lower the vehicle. The camber makes it fit better albeit with increased tire wear. 25mm in the rear looks flush to me (tiny poke on the bottom) and the front could have gone another 5mm imo. depends on preference.

Also big notice here but with the car lowered to this level, definite reduction in ride quality on both low / very low setting. I can deal but family doesn't like it. I have to raise it to medium height to restore a smooth ride but unfortunately the car won't stay on medium setting once you get to a certain speed on the freeway.

Reactions: Paul8810
It will always look exaggerated if you don't lower the vehicle. The camber makes it fit better albeit with increased tire wear. 25mm in the rear looks flush to me (tiny poke on the bottom) and the front could have gone another 5mm imo. depends on preference.

Also big notice here but with the car lowered to this level, definite reduction in ride quality on both low / very low setting. I can deal but family doesn't like it. I have to raise it to medium height to restore a smooth ride but unfortunately the car won't stay on medium setting once you get to a certain speed on the freeway.
you can't set it to ALWAYS in air settings?

SALE: BLOX Racing Air Suspension Lowering Links for Tesla Model X

Another option here:

Your X looks beautiful but buying cheap stuff that’s not rated for the X’s extreme weight is kinda dicey to me TBH. Pay extra and get the better quality parts. This is a safety thing, do you really want to save $80 on a $100K car?
Not sure who your post was directed at.... OP? 🤷‍♂️

I do agree though.... Buying cheap wheel spacers or DIY/3D printed lowering links is probably not the best of choices for a vehicle of this class.