Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's better photos of the car with the lowering springs without the spacers that Eibach just sent me. I am still waiting to hear from their engineer on spring specs, etc! and the last photo is what some of you think it looks like when Teslas are lowered LOL

IMG_7600.jpg

IMG_7606.jpg

IMG_7606_DONOTPOST.JPG

OK! So I finally had some significant seat time behind the wheel of our 3 this weekend. I took it on my daily commute of 80 miles round trip Friday & Saturday and drove it in different scenarios Sunday & Monday (local driving, smooth roads, rough roads).

I still haven't heard back from Eibach on the actual specs of the springs but I recall from conversation they mentioned the rears of the Eibach protoypes are progressive springs, and the fronts are linear. They also mentioned that they were going to keep the stock spring rates. Fronts and Rears drop the car 30mm and 25mm respectively. They also had to trim the bump stops (not sure by how much) to address the drop in height, (but the bumpiness as well).

During the measurement phase, they did mention to me that the stock rears are almost riding on the bump stops with very little clearance. I assume Tesla maybe did this to compensate for torque "squat" on take off. The downside to having bump stops so close to the travel range is that it can cause harsh rides under certain conditions.

CLEARANCE:
First of all, the drop looks conservative from the side profile but its enough to tell that the car is definitely lowered. I did not have to do any crazy type of "maneuvering" at angles, etc to get on/off driveways. I also was able to clear average speed bumps and street rain dips straight on without having to go at an angle. The nose of our cars are short enough to mitigate clearance issues with these Eibachs so I am proud to say these are definitely WIFE-proof. (my wife at least). The front end will also still clear your standard parking blocks without making contact.

RIDE QUALITY:
I have a 2xxx VIN model 3 so my dampers/springs are a tad on the "bumpier" side. For reference these are the current P/Ns from my stock springs:
1044379-03-C
1044472-01-C
I forget which were fronts and which were rears.
If we were measuring ride quality and harshness level from 1-10 (using 1 as BEST and 10 as my benchmark for stock feel), the Eibachs have minimizized and mitigated most of my ride quality complaints down to a 3-4.

I never had an issue with the way the stock car felt, but I could definitely feel what most were describing as harsh in terms of bounciness, If I hit a certain patch of freeway with repeated uneveness, the car would get into this bouncy rythm (or frequency) where it would start to buck (almost as if there was no suspension travel). Being RWD and having no front motor definitely made the front end buck in a rythmic pattern under specific conditions. This is no longer the case with the Eibachs.

The overall ride quality definitely feels smoother and not nearly as harsh. Make no mistake though, the car still feels very well planted and not bouncy/soft whatsoever, it just doesnt have the "harshness" to it. Best way to describe it would be (as an example), if you had tire PSI set to Super hard 50psi+ and then letting the air out to 35psi. I would say it is very close to a heavy german vehicle on factory sport suspension.

I am waiting to to hear back whether this was mitigated by the trimming of the bump stops, or if the springs themselves are making the ride quality better. My guess is both, but Ill confirm once I hear back. So far my feedback is 100% positive, which is what I sent Eibach. Assuming they make no changes, I am confident the production version of these springs will satisfy a good portion of Model 3 owners looking to reduce that factory wheel gap, without sacrificing ride clearance and quality.

Any other questions, ill be be happy to help answer or find out the answer for you!

Last edited:
It think that is because of how short the stock spring is. See Jack's video here where he estimates it to be 4-4,5 turns:
View attachment 289747

Actually this is how long the rear stock springs are in uncompressed state. As you can see it is no different or shorter than any other average spring. The bump stops are on the dampers themselves so they need to be trimmed to give the cars dampers pistons more travel.

E28C7BB8-B231-473E-8237-4040DE5F73EE.jpeg

Actually this is how long the rear stock springs are in uncompressed state. As you can see it is no different or shorter than any other average spring. The bump stops are on the dampers themselves so they need to be trimmed to give the cars dampers pistons more travel.

View attachment 289809
Well, would you look at that!
Granted, I know nothing about springs, aside from the fact they are scary as hell to work on. :)

Reactions: Cricket88
I am very interested in Eibach's offering. I had Eibach Pro-Kits and Koni Yellows on a moderate drop back in the day and was quite impressed by how good it felt. I wonder if Koni has any plans to make shocks for the TM3...

SoCal people, where do you go for suspension work on your TM3?

Just shy of 2 fingers in the rear and a little over 2 fingers in the front. Your finger size may vary
Can you also measure from the highest part of the fender lip/opening to the center of the wheel hub, front and rear? This is the most consistent way to get ride heights as it also eliminates differences in wheel/tire size. Alternatively, just measure from the ground to the highest part of the of the fender opening.

Thanks!

Can you also measure from the highest part of the fender lip/opening to the center of the wheel hub, front and rear? This is the most consistent way to get ride heights as it also eliminates differences in wheel/tire size. Alternatively, just measure from the ground to the highest part of the of the fender opening.

Thanks!

Fronts (from ground to fender) 27 1/2”. Rears 27 1/4”

Hey guys, we previously missed this thread, but wanted to quickly jump in to provide some more information on our springs, the different options, and how they are functionally different than any other springs produced for Tesla (and most other cars).

Our springs are available in 3 configurations, each of which is engineered with a specific user in mind. This chart is the probably the most helpful way to explain the differences:
Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Spring-Set-Diagram.jpg

For more specific details regarding the technology, the springs are in collaboration with HYPERCO, who, for those of you unfamiliar, a winning Formula 1 and Indy car spring supplier, and utilize what is known as "Dual-Rate" spring technology.

What this means is that there are two distinctive spring rates, which for all intents and purposes, function independently. The chart above explains more details about how the springs actually function, but the most important fact is that Dual Rate spring technology allows for best of both worlds. The car rides at noticeably softer spring rates around town, and when sporty handling is desired, natural cornering g forces activate the spring’s sportier secondary spring rate which reduces body roll and gives noticeable difference in both feel and handling at the limit.

We recently released a 3rd version of our springs - "Mild" - which is designed for anyone who wants a softer ride, with a minimal drop. The "Moderate" (pictured below) has been the most popular so far though, with more than 100 sets sold (several of which to Tesla employees):

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-Moderate_02.jpg

For anyone interested in more information, including an independent video test of the springs, check out the product page on our site:
Unplugged Performance | Dual Rate Lowering Springs for Tesla Model 3

Also, feel free to reach out to us directly!

Last edited:
For anyone interested in more information, including an independent video test of the springs, check out the product page on our site:

UP - thanks for posting the info. I've been reading a bunch about the various options, and one concern I have is about the ability to get a neutral alignment on the Model 3 given that it has no built in camber adjustment. How are you dropping more than an inch without introducing negative camber and increasing tire wear? Also, do you recommend any modification of the bump stops? I have heard that even the default suspension has fairly little travel, so dropping the car might result in hitting the stops more easily. Does the dual rate spring account for that lack of travel? Thanks!

UP - thanks for posting the info. I've been reading a bunch about the various options, and one concern I have is about the ability to get a neutral alignment on the Model 3 given that it has no built in camber adjustment. How are you dropping more than an inch without introducing negative camber and increasing tire wear? Also, do you recommend any modification of the bump stops? I have heard that even the default suspension has fairly little travel, so dropping the car might result in hitting the stops more easily. Does the dual rate spring account for that lack of travel? Thanks!

We've pushed our Model 3s quite extensively without bottoming out on the bump stops. Our customer also took his Model 3 (equipped with the moderate springs) to Laguna Seca last month and pushed the car very hard with no issues:
Tesla Model 3 performance put to the test on Laguna Seca raceway

With regards to alignment, another customer of ours did a quick before and after of his alignment settings and shared in a Facebook Group:

The accompanying text he posted:
For someone who is interested on how your alignment look like after installing Unplugged Performance 1.5” lowering springs.

0.6 degree increase on negative camber all around and 0.2 in positive caster.

Really happy with a ride quality and on paper this set up will aid to the cornering performance with almost no increase on tire wear.

Top view Tesla springs
Bottom view Unplugged Performance 1.5” lowering springs.

For anyone interested in more fine-tuning of the suspension, we have adjustable suspension arms in the works (as well as coilovers and adjustable sway bar end links):

29542852_1970219543050908_1960784563065755471_n.jpg

Hey guys, we previously missed this thread, but wanted to quickly jump in to provide some more information on our springs, the different options, and how they are functionally different than any other springs produced for Tesla (and most other cars).

Our springs are available in 3 configurations, each of which is engineered with a specific user in mind. This chart is the probably the most helpful way to explain the differences:
Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Spring-Set-Diagram.jpg

For more specific details regarding the technology, the springs are in collaboration with HYPERCO, who, for those of you unfamiliar, a winning Formula 1 and Indy car spring supplier, and utilize what is known as "Dual-Rate" spring technology.

What this means is that there are two distinctive spring rates, which for all intents and purposes, function independently. The chart above explains more details about how the springs actually function, but the most important fact is that Dual Rate spring technology allows for best of both worlds. The car rides at noticeably softer spring rates around town, and when sporty handling is desired, natural cornering g forces activate the spring’s sportier secondary spring rate which reduces body roll and gives noticeable difference in both feel and handling at the limit.

We recently released a 3rd version of our springs - "Mild" - which is designed for anyone who wants a softer ride, with a minimal drop. The "Moderate" (pictured below) has been the most popular so far though, with more than 100 sets sold (several of which to Tesla employees):

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-Moderate_02.jpg

I'm really interested in the Mild option, I just want to make sure it's not too soft. Is the comparison to factory you show above against the original stiffer Tesla springs or the softer re-design that early owners have an option to update to now?

Thanks!