Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Performance (Stealth TM3) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys - I'm a bit out of the loop, but I'm currently very interested in getting a stealth performance. What is the best way to go about ordering one in Los Angeles?
Talk to your sales rep, do not use the words Stealth or sleeper, the way I did it was I asked for inventory cars that are price discounted, once he pulls that list, ask him for cars that are Performance LWD with 18" wheels, and then use the word sleeper. :)

same here, and it is interesting that they are doing this. did he give you any indication if the car is almost ready? my guy said my car is in "pre production" but the VIN is in the HTML source of the reservation status page.

unfortunately my lease has been stuck in "we're checking your credit" for more than a day now. when they first ran the credit check when i reserved an LR AWD, the credit check happened almost immediately. but from the sound of it some people are having problems with tesla finance seemingly not updating loan terms or lease terms at the moment.

My SA originally told me yesterday it will take 7 days for delivery, but today I see the order updated with VIN and the scheduled delivery date of Dec 8th. I don't think it's a "pre production' car but hope to find out soon.

I am going with Tesla finance and that status hasn't changed since they ran the credit check and approved. I was trying to get a quote for Tesla insurance but I get an empty page. Called their support number and was told they are having problems in providing quotes for 2020 models. They don't know when they will start it but he took my contact details and said he will let me know. I may end up going with my insurance provider.

• Helpful
Reactions: astrorob
there was a break in the rain last night, and so I went out and took this beauty on a 40 mile joyride. I'd say the first 25mi I drove it fairly hard, but then let the autopilot do the last 15 miles home because I found traffic in LA... (Go figure!?)
20191206_140101.jpg

upload_2019-12-6_15-28-28.png

Reactions: Paullydoughnut
Hi all, I am a complete Tesla noob. I recently first ordered a regular standard range + and then after thinking long and hard decided to upgrade to LR, that's when I called up a friend of mine and he suggested that I ask the SA if there were any inventory price reduced cars available and the SA mentioned that there was a sleeper performance, I was so not sure what he was talking to me about and then he explained to me that it was essentially a performance with 18" wheels, and no specials brakes and no track mode. I did order that car and my delivery date so far did not change. I am hoping it won't. Anything I need to know in specific. Any help and information is greatly appreciated. TIA!

GREAT decision... my car had 4 miles on it when it was delivered, and arrived early... I originally had a regular performance on order because at the time I placed my order, Stealths were not even being created and no one knew when they might..

thanks to the the members of this forum I found out that they were making stealths again and just had to keep pestering my SA/DA about when or where I could one. and ended up hitting paydirt :)

@newvadron they absolutely DO have track mode. my Dragy hasn't come in yet, but i'm going to see how fast these stealths really are ;-)

there was a break in the rain last night, and so I went out and took this beauty on a 40 mile joyride. I'd say the first 25mi I drove it fairly hard, but then let the autopilot do the last 15 miles home because I found traffic in LA... (Go figure!?)View attachment 485504

View attachment 485505

They are fun aren’t they?

Where did that second graph come from?

@astrorob : So, I did find my VIN, does this mean that the car will be available sooner than later? What other information do I need to know or can I figure out? I am also curious to see if this is a used car, and when I did the vin decoder, it said it was a 2020 model. Thank you for all the guidance you wonderful people are providing. :)

i don't know if the car will be available sooner than later... all i know (from reading here) is that when you order a car via the website, the VIN comes pretty late in the process and so i guess is a harbinger of delivery for the car. apparently (again just from reading here) tesla is putting some number of stealth performance machines into the assembly pipeline with no customer order, and then people like you or me end up paying extra $$ to claim one. no idea if the existence of a VIN for a stealth implies that it is in any particular state of build.

although your friend was talking about 'price reduced' inventory i'm not sure a stealth fits that description. i don't have any reason to think these cars are used or so called "fart cars". i feel like they are just putting them into the pipeline to grab a little more money from people who find out about it and are willing to pay. my VIN also indicates the car is a 2020 model year.

My SA originally told me yesterday it will take 7 days for delivery, but today I see the order updated with VIN and the scheduled delivery date of Dec 8th. I don't think it's a "pre production' car but hope to find out soon.

I am going with Tesla finance and that status hasn't changed since they ran the credit check and approved. I was trying to get a quote for Tesla insurance but I get an empty page. Called their support number and was told they are having problems in providing quotes for 2020 models. They don't know when they will start it but he took my contact details and said he will let me know. I may end up going with my insurance provider.

thanks for the info. my SA did tell me that the credit check would be re-done but he characterized it as a "soft pull" of the credit file. i have heard that term before but i don't know what exactly it means, i need to do some googling. since my credit score is in the 800s i feel like there shouldn't be any material difference between the payment for the LR and the payment for the stealth, so it should just sail thru.

anyway my SA quoted me about 7 days as well but i think i must be behind you as the VIN doesn't show up except in the html source code. or else whatever this financing glitch is is preventing the webpage from updating.

edit: it was definitely stuck. the email address for the pre-purchase finance people is: [email protected] and someone working that inbox fixed it for me and i was able to accept the terms. one thing that happened though is that i had set a monthly payment against the LR AWD price and this did not carry forward to the new terms. i think they kept my downpayment constant. not a big deal, but i was unable to modify the terms of the lease; all i could do was accept.

edit x2: [deleted wrong stuff about the VIN changing, my error]

Last edited:
Talk to your sales rep, do not use the words Stealth or sleeper, the way I did it was I asked for inventory cars that are price discounted, once he pulls that list, ask him for cars that are Performance LWD with 18" wheels, and then use the word sleeper. :)

I did the opposite. I was stuck in waiting hell and called them, asked about the Sleeper/Stealth. In two days I had one. Delivery tomorrow.

Where did that second graph come from?

TeslaFi. Free 14 day trial. I wish I had spent the 5 mins at the dealer post delivery to set it up.

Now that it's on there I probably will subscribe. A couple bucks a month is a drop in the bucket compared to 65k
(a P3D- in red with FSD costs 65k all-in, tax and fees included)

thanks for the info. my SA did tell me that the credit check would be re-done but he characterized it as a "soft pull" of the credit file. i have heard that term before but i don't know what exactly it means, i need to do some googling. since my credit score is in the 800s i feel like there shouldn't be any material difference between the payment for the LR and the payment for the stealth, so it should just sail thru.

Soft pull means there isn't a record of its submission on your credit file. Since your credit file includes a dated list of inquiries multiple hard pulls is generally viewed negatively.

A soft pull is essentially a silent pull and doesn't trigger an inquiry update. Companies that already do business with you and have already extended you credit have permission to perform soft pulls periodically to update their risk profiles and or extend or modify your terms.

Generally a hard pull is done because something you asked for (loans etc) and it stays on your report for several years.

If your credit score is in the 800s I wouldn't be concerned with the finance rate. You should definitely shop around for the cheapest rates even if the credit union is not local to you.
My score was mid 700s but I didn't qualify for Tesla partner financing (Tesla doesn't own your loan. Wells Fargo or US Bank or whomever does.) I did qualify for financing at a comparable rate from my local credit union (I have discharged/settled medical debt from a few years ago that ended up unpaid by my insurance. Still shows up in my credit report)

Update on Tesla insurance: now that I got Geico, it worked. Way cheaper - Geico 258/month, Tesla 198/month for similar coverage. I assume I can cancel my geico policy anytime and switch, right?

You can cancel your geico insurance once your new policy takes effect.

I got quotes from Tesla that were much cheaper than geico too (I have the gecko on my truck) (I'll make a new post on that later)

If your credit score is in the 800s I wouldn't be concerned with the finance rate. You should definitely shop around for the cheapest rates even if the credit union is not local to you.

thanks for the description of soft pull, that was helpful.

regarding financing... well i want to lease the car - while a M3 is in an entirely different league i had a hard time selling my 2011 leaf when the stickers expired. it was worth essentially nothing. so i guess i'm paying for the privilege of not having to deal with all of that when the time comes to get another car. as long as the carpool sticker program is going in CA, we'll be getting a new car every 3 years.

tesla's lease terms are really not that hot, but again the convenience and the likelihood that we'll "need" another car in 3 years makes the lease attractive.

regarding the tesla insurance, i wonder how that works when you have an umbrella policy tied to your auto insurance from another insurance company.

@ambudriver03 : I am guessing you live in California, since the Tesla Insurance is not available anywhere else at the moment. If you are from Florida by any chance, let me know how you were able to secure Tesla Insurance.
Also, would you not be able to save the insurance quote Tesla provided to you and check and see with Geico if they will price match? And if you do have the AutoPilot and FSD, technically lower the chance of a collision, so maybe you want to specify that as well and also mention that Tesla is the best rated in crash. :) Just my two cents here.

thanks for the description of soft pull, that was helpful.

regarding financing... well i want to lease the car - while a M3 is in an entirely different league i had a hard time selling my 2011 leaf when the stickers expired. it was worth essentially nothing. so i guess i'm paying for the privilege of not having to deal with all of that when the time comes to get another car. as long as the carpool sticker program is going in CA, we'll be getting a new car every 3 years.

tesla's lease terms are really not that hot, but again the convenience and the likelihood that we'll "need" another car in 3 years makes the lease attractive.

regarding the tesla insurance, i wonder how that works when you have an umbrella policy tied to your auto insurance from another insurance company.

@astrorob : I originally thought of leasing too, but then the SA told me that Tesla doesn't give you the option to buy back the car. Just wanted to make sure you knew.

@astrorob : I originally thought of leasing too, but then the SA told me that Tesla doesn't give you the option to buy back the car. Just wanted to make sure you knew.

thanks, yes i noticed this when agreeing to the lease terms - i had to check a box affirming that they won't let me buy out the car. sucks but for the foreseeable future i think i need to own one ICE and one EV so i'll be OK with letting go of the tesla (and maybe leasing another one, who knows; 3 years is a long time.)

well i suppose even though we all seem to think that the stealths are available with a shorter lead time, perhaps that's not really true. only time will tell. as @jonquiljo has pointed out there are people who have managed to order a stealth which is already sitting at a delivery center vs. one that's working its way thru the factory. i guess i feel a little better about the stealth since they've quoted me a delivery early in the month and that gives them a lot of time to slip until 12/31. with the LR AWD i had no visibility into when the car would actually materialize. time will tell, unfortunately.
I ordered 11/11 for my LR AWD switched 11/20 to stealth got delivery 11/30 of stealth another same order LR AWD same location and same day 11/11 has no word on delivery yet. I have enjoyed the car for a week now.

• Informative
Reactions: astrorob
@ambudriver03 : I am guessing you live in California, since the Tesla Insurance is not available anywhere else at the moment. If you are from Florida by any chance, let me know how you were able to secure Tesla Insurance.
Also, would you not be able to save the insurance quote Tesla provided to you and check and see with Geico if they will price match? And if you do have the AutoPilot and FSD, technically lower the chance of a collision, so maybe you want to specify that as well and also mention that Tesla is the best rated in crash. :) Just my two cents here.

I am in California indeed. I haven't pushed geico to try and match Tesla's quote. With what it costs to fix crashed Teslas I'm not optimistic on a price match.

One accident in my m3p would probably match the calculated premiums for a dozen years.

I'll give it a whirl though