TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

LR AWD vs LR AWD (Stealth) Performance resale value?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by trisk, Nov 30, 2019.

1. trisk

trisk Member

I placed an order for an LR AWD a few weeks ago, and each time I've called the sales office, they've suggested to match me with a Stealth Performance from inventory (in production or pre-production). They gave me a VIN to check if it would affect insurance premiums (it didn't, although insurers might eventually care about the "C" digit in the VIN). I don't have any pressing need for the extra oomph or track mode, but do folks reckon it'll retain value better than a regular LR AWD vehicle?

• Informative x 1
  2. patrick40363

patrick40363 Active Member

Stealth should be your choice.

• Love x 2
  3. iamroy

iamroy Member

No one can predict the future. Figure out what you want and get that.

4. jpfive

jpfive Supporting Member

OK, I'll plead ignorance here. What exactly is a Stealth Performance? When Tesla offers one in substitution for a LR AWD (like I ordered yesterday) what exactly is the difference in cost and specs?

5. Evergreeen

Evergreeen Member

Probably negligible or a penalty since no one wants a car that's been beaten

• Funny x 1
  6. iamroy

iamroy Member

It's the same as LR-AWD, but it has whatever is needed to get the performance speed without the visual components (brakes, wheels, spoiler, etc.). It's also about $7k cheaper than the full performance.

• Informative x 1
  7. Zextraterrestrial

$2k more for 1 second faster to 60~( 3 vs 4) & 1/4 mile ~(11.2 vs 12.2) + 30 mph higher top speed.
    wicked quick when you need it. just picked up one yesterday. for 2k I would never not get it if it was an option. isn't/wasn't always an option

• Like x 1
  8. m3-ricardo

m3-ricardo Member

unless you find someone that wants a stealth car-- it wil probably resell as a LR-AWD

• Like x 1
  9. RangerMac

RangerMac Member

Everything is performance model. Vin, software, badges. Just not wheels and brakes .....so on

10. dandrewk

dandrewk Supporting Member

That shouldn’t be any problem at all. In fact, owing to their relative scarcity, you might get a premium above the $2k.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  11. jpfive

jpfive Supporting Member

Thanks for that information folks. This is definitely not your grandfather's auto company.

• Funny x 1
  12. NickFie

NickFie Member

I’m a grandparent, bought a stealth performance 3 for my wife last year. She loves it! I don’t mind driving it either. The silent, instant acceleration and solid handling have to be experienced to be understood.

The 3 is our second Tesla, after an S two years ago. Guess that makes Tesla this grandfather’s car company.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 2
  13. astrorob

astrorob stealth performance M3

does this mean that some stealth performance m3s are hanging around? i got the impression that they would all mostly be gone by now.

14. m3-ricardo

m3-ricardo Member

you are right -- you can sell it as a performance package to someone who didn't know to check for the wheels / brakes / suspension and rear spoiler.

15. iamroy

iamroy Member

I'm picking mine up in 2 weeks. There are some out there, but they're going quick.

16. jpfive

jpfive Supporting Member

I'm a grandfather also, so quite agree with you. I was making allusion to GM's unfortunate marketing campaign for Oldsmobile that preceded the death of that division. Also, what normal car company mixes and matches components to create interesting, and rare, factory hybrids? Quite refreshing.

17. rtshefe

rtshefe Member

just think of how many times youll have to say "Its a performance, trust me!" while owning the stealth..

while the performance + has its balls visibly dangling for all to see..

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. RangerMac

RangerMac Member

Ha sorry that was not what I meant. I hadn’t read through the original post and it popped up. I thought this was the “what is the trim thread.” :) sorry for the stupid post. Too many out there to keep up with lately.

anyways I do think it will have a greater value then the LRAWD and probably at a slightly higher proportion than the $2k price increase.

Sorry for the confusion I had just picked up my car and was flying high.

• Like x 1
  19. JeremyE

JeremyE Member

Just the little red line under "Dual Motor" thus the "Stealth" factor :) Personally, I love that I don't advertise the extra punch of the performance. I much prefer to leave people wondering. Love my PM3-

20. Solmors

Solmors Member

To be fair, you can buy the red underline online for $10.

For the 2020s, the VIN specifies it as a performance. Or you could pull up track mode which only the P has. Or show them a verified Dragy 0-60 or 1/4 mile time. Or give them a ride and floor it!