Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$3500 price difference for Model 3 Long Range AWD vs Performance. Which one should I go with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD on order with 19” wheels. Price $59,500

I realized I can get the performance model for only $3,500 more at $63,000

For those with an LR AWD, if you were to go back and buy again, would an extra $3500 for the performance be a no brainer?

I definitely want more practicality in a car than performance, but for an extra $3500 it seems like too good of a value to not at least consider the upgrade.

And with the 19” wheels on the LR AWD, the extra 15-20 epa estimated range compared to the Performance doesn’t seem to be sacrificing much.

While with the Performance I do worry about extra costs in tires and insurance

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Jane4
This thread has a few pages of discussion on the same basic topic:

I definitely want more practicality in a car than performance, but for an extra $3500 it seems like too good of a value to not at least consider the upgrade.

If you prefer practicality over additional performance, then it is possible that the P model is less valuable to you than the LR model:
  • Worse economy and range.
  • Potentially higher cost for tires (check tire prices and treadwear).
  • Potentially higher cost for insurance (check on-line insurance quotes).
If the negative value of the above is greater than the positive value of the additional performance for you, then it makes no sense to pay extra for the version that you like less.

If you prefer practicality over additional performance, then it is possible that the P model is less valuable to you than the LR model:
  • Worse economy and range.
  • Potentially higher cost for tires (check tire prices and treadwear).
  • Potentially higher cost for insurance (check on-line insurance quotes).
If the negative value of the above is greater than the positive value of the additional performance for you, then it makes no sense to pay extra for the version that you like less.
A+++ post. Thanks for breaking it down logically. Makes a ton of sense! The LR is much better suited for my needs

I see you’re in CA so you’ll probably be fine with the Performance. Other than potential pot holes causing flat tires or damaged wheels due to the thinner tires on the Performance.

In places with colder climates (eg snow) then you would need a second set of wheels/tires for the winter since the Performance comes with summer only tires. That can easily add $2-3k plus storage space for another set of wheels and tires.

If you were planning to get the AB anyways then just go for the performance IMO.

But if you weren’t going to get the AB then just stick with LR and save your money. The LR is more than fast enough especially if you aren’t going to do any tracking or racing with it.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
A+++ post. Thanks for breaking it down logically. Makes a ton of sense! The LR is much better suited for my needs

Sure, as long as you dont start asking yourself 6 months to a year from now, "gee I wonder if I should have gotten the performance model"? If you think you will EVER want to purchase the performance boost for the LR, that means the price delta is now $1500.

Only you know which car is suited for your needs, and thats the one you should get, but with that being said you should expect someone who purchased a particular model to favor that particular model (me included).

Very rarely do people say "man I wish my TV was smaller" or "Man I wish my car was slower" (it happens, but frankly thats rare). People say the reverse all the time, though, and entire industries exist to make "the slower one" get faster, but they dont exist to make the faster one get slower.

its true that there could be more expensive insurance costs, and accommodations made for tires, but as long as you can tell yourself that for the ownership of your car you wont feel like you "wish you got the faster one", then its probably the right one for you.

=======================================

Full disclosure - My wife has a 2022 Model Y performance that we picked up this year, that is in chill mode under her profile, because the price delta between the LR and Performance at the time of purchase was 5k and I felt that 5k was an acceptable price for the upgrade for the few times I drove her car and wanted the extra performance.

My point in saying this is, I felt that 5k was an acceptable price delta for me between the two cars, and "voted with my wallet" so to speak, so of course I would have that preference, as I said above. To each his or her (or their) own.

Last edited:
I have a 2023 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD on order with 19” wheels. Price $59,500

For those with an LR AWD, if you were to go back and buy again, would an extra $3500 for the performance be a no brainer?

And with the 19” wheels on the LR AWD, the extra 15-20 epa estimated range compared to the Performance doesn’t seem to be sacrificing much.

What are your thoughts?
We've had a Model 3, LR, since 2020 and have been very happy. It goes plenty fast, in my opinion. Not that I am a speedster. I would NOT pay for FSD. 3 years and nothing...

Sure, as long as you dont start asking yourself 6 months to a year from now, "gee I wonder if I should have gotten the performance model"?

Very rarely do people say "man I wish my TV was smaller" or "Man I wish my car was slower" (it happens, but frankly thats rare). People say the reverse all the time, though, and entire industries exist to make "the slower one" get faster, but they dont exist to make the faster one get slower.
That was part of my logic in buying the Performance over the LR, but the LR does have objective benefits over the Performance, especially for someone who values practicality more.

Having gotten the Performance, occasionally I do think "Man I wish I had more range" or "I wish my car had a more comfortable ride". Ultimately the aesthetics of the Performance brakes, Uberturbines, and spoiler are worth it to me, but that won't matter to everyone. This is a case where the cheaper option might actually be better depending on your needs.

That was part of my logic in buying the Performance over the LR, but the LR does have objective benefits over the Performance, especially for someone who values practicality more.

Having gotten the Performance, occasionally I do think "Man I wish I had more range" or "I wish my car had a more comfortable ride". Ultimately the aesthetics of the Performance brakes, Uberturbines, and spoiler are worth it to me, but that won't matter to everyone. This is a case where the cheaper option might actually be better depending on your needs.

The difference in range is the wheels (20 inch sticky summer tires). They have the same battery and the same (lack of) getting EPA range for most people. I also dont think there is any difference in the suspension any longer (there was when I got mine in 2018 but I dont think there is now), so its really less total range with the delivered tires, vs faster off the line acceleration.

That's a fair point to mention and was indeed a consideration when I chose the Performance over the LR. I bought the Performance with the idea that I would later be able to get the benefits of the LR if I wanted (mostly by switching out the wheels/tires as you said). Whereas if I had gotten the LR it would have been harder or even impossible to reach parity with the Performance later (at least without risking warranty issues).

But for the OP who doesn't value performance as much and is considering the extra cost associated with the performance, I'm not sure it's worth paying more up front for a vehicle which is less practical. Ultimately only OP will be able to answer that question.

Reactions: jjrandorin
The difference in range is the wheels (20 inch sticky summer tires). They have the same battery and the same (lack of) getting EPA range for most people. I also dont think there is any difference in the suspension any longer (there was when I got mine in 2018 but I dont think there is now), so its really less total range with the delivered tires, vs faster off the line acceleration.
Doesn't the Performance model have a slightly lower suspension, even if it's the same general ride quality? That could make it slightly more likely to take damage when going over speed bumps or into or out of driveways with high clearance requirements.

I saw a post yesterday where someone was saying that he or she likes keeping his or her car way above 50% SoC because he/she notices a decrease in performance starting at around 50% SoC (this was in a thread about what percentage you should charge your car to). Well, I don't actually notice any difference unless it goes below about 20% SoC and I wonder if that's just because the power on my LR is software limited such that the batteries can produce the max (software limited) power all the way down to 20%. There's some advantage to having the ability to have a higher maximum power level but there's also an advantage to having a more consistent experience all the way down to a very low SoC.

Buy the Performance and, if you do find the range/ride isn’t what you want, I bet you could trade for some 19” rims right here on this very forum, and you might even make some $$$ in the process. Also, the resale value should be higher on the Performance.

When I bought my LR AWD, the price difference to the Performance was $16k!

Reactions: ODWms
When I purchased my M3LR the price difference for the Performance was about 8k so I got the LR and purchased Acceleration Boost. Now the price difference is only 3.5k, I think if I had to buy right now I would go with the Performance even if it doesn't perform as well as the LR in the top end.

Reactions: Destiny1701

What are your thoughts?
Unnecessary but fun! Good for 'party' tricks, other than that, why?! :)