Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR awd vs RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I just got a quote for custom rwd for $44500 of course no autopilot. Basically wondering a couple things: rwd vs awd? Is rwd that much more efficient? Is the 2k I be saving going to rwd worth it?And the price point between Sr+ and rwd is 8k with autopilot is that price worth the mileage I be getting? And finally is there any other differences between the car other than mileage and sound system? Like is interior any different?

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: jbrady3324
so I just got a quote for custom rwd for $44500 of course no autopilot. Basically wondering a couple things: rwd vs awd? Is rwd that much more efficient? Is the 2k I be saving going to rwd worth it?And the price point between Sr+ and rwd is 8k with autopilot is that price worth the mileage I be getting? And finally is there any other differences between the car other than mileage and sound system? Like is interior any different?

Thanks for your help!

Hey I own a RWD LR Model 3, reason i went this route is because i solely depend on using public chargers or the superchargers to charge my vehicle. Don't own a house or live in a dwelling where I could have easy access to charge my vehicle. It was a no brainer for me to go LR because of 325 miles range faster amp allow to charge vehicle i think it tops some where in the 40a+ instead of all other model 3 tops at 30a so that can benefits for fastest charging speed maybe you wont need this because you will have access to a home charger but in my case this was a deal breaker for me. Also if you don't care about sound quality which LR comes with premium sound go for the standard model 3 which you can still buy offline. Is a standard range + software lock limited to 220 miles range instead of 240. The standard model 3 is the best buck for your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go for a LR RWD if I did not want AP. If I wanted AP, it's not as easy of a decision. I don't personally need AWD as I live in Southern California and never travel on icy roads. If I did I might lean toward AWD.

AWD is slightly faster but a bit less efficient. Many people who order AWD make the situation even worse by going with the 19" wheels, which causes an even bigger drop in range.

So if range is important, I'd stay with LR RWD. If you drive on icy roads, or just really need that extra half second of speed, go with AWD.

The SR+ is hard to argue with for $8k less. It has the partial premium interior instead of full premium and less range/acceleration, but that’s a lot less money.

Between the LR RWD and AWD, I’d take the better acceleration of the AWD for $2k. Though, the actual range is somewhat better on the RWD. I just figured I’ll make the range work.

I guess it depends on your priorities. Range? Acceleration? Stereo? Total cost/money left for other options?

If you are down in Georgia, I think it's a no brainer to get a RWD.
I really need the AWD and if I didn't need it I would have got a RWD for the extra range.

Some people get the AWD or AWD Performance for more power. You didn't mention anything about that "preference".

Thank you for all your help! Do we actually know the real difference between the Sr and Sr+ it seems to keep changing. Like the heated seats? Have they done the software downgrade of the SR yet? Last I seen everyone still has Sr+

Hey I own a RWD LR Model 3, reason i went this route is because i solely depend on using public chargers or the superchargers to charge my vehicle. Don't own a house or live in a dwelling where I could have easy access to charge my vehicle. It was a no brainer for me to go LR because of 325 miles range faster amp allow to charge vehicle i think it tops some where in the 40a+ instead of all other model 3 tops at 30a so that can benefits for fastest charging speed maybe you wont need this because you will have access to a home charger but in my case this was a deal breaker for me. Also if you don't care about sound quality which LR comes with premium sound go for the standard model 3 which you can still buy offline. Is a standard range + software lock limited to 220 miles range instead of 240. The standard model 3 is the best buck for your money.
5k? I thought it was only a thousand?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for your help!

As a LR RWD owner in GA, absolutely no need for AWD. I believe that there's over 10% difference in range. I just tripped to MS today and realized that I didn't put my aero covers on, I could easily see the 5% difference in the covers.

IMO, if it is 2k USD difference, I'd go with AWD. The car is so fun to drive, AWD will have better resale value as well.

I have a RWD, but that's because the price difference for me was about 8k CAD (got a deal due to the price change period).

IMO, if it is 2k USD difference, I'd go with AWD. The car is so fun to drive, AWD will have better resale value as well.

I have a RWD, but that's because the price difference for me was about 8k CAD (got a deal due to the price change period).

I don't know where the $2k difference is coming from. As far as I can tell the difference is $5k.

Comparing a Demo AWD or Inventory vs Custom order or something is comparing apples and oranges.

For some folks the extra range alone is worth it regardless of money savings which is icing on the cake.

• Informative
Reactions: Fishcomb
I don't know where the $2k difference is coming from. As far as I can tell the difference is $5k.

Comparing a Demo AWD or Inventory vs Custom order or something is comparing apples and oranges.

For some folks the extra range alone is worth it regardless of money savings which is icing on the cake.

It depends on whether you plan on purchasing AP or not.

LR RWD is $44,500 not including AP. Add $3K for AP and it costs $47,500 or $2,000 less than LR AWD, which includes AP in the base price. If you don’t want AP, you can save $5K with LR RWD.