Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD FSD 53100€ vs SR+ FSD 47900€

LR RWD FSD 53100€ vs SR+ FSD 47900€

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there,

It seems that although LR is not available on my country's site, they did say I could have it off-menu.
That's the model I wanted since the beginning, so I'm quite tempted but there's still 5200€ of difference.
I've asked if this was some stock or production, she said production. However when I asked about HW 2 or HW3 she said this depended on the car frame's number.

Trying to make up my mind here, gladly take any input.
  • I'm going to use that extra range something like once a month for bigger trips, the rest of the time I'm really okay with less.
  • In-car internet (LTE right?) really seems like a plus,especially the music streaming and updates without wifi.
  • Rear heated seats are somewhat a +, I don't really mind
  • Better system audio is a plus
So, questions are:
  1. Am I wrong in something I listed?
  2. Am I missing something in that list that would make another +?
  3. Is it, according to you, worth the price difference?
  4. I'm a bit concerned about the off-menu option. I'd hate to have a fee for swapping HW (nothing in the contract actually says it will be free), or to have different future options that "standard" cars, you get the idea, bit anxious.
As per the in-car internet, the salesperson had no info about having it as a future option for SR+, saying that they have to justify the price gap...

...fee for swapping HW (nothing in the contract actually says it will be free)...

If you are satisfied with the 2 functions included in newly reclassified Autopilot:

1) TACC
2) AutoSteer

Then don't worry about swapping HW.

However, if those 2 functions will not be enough for you because you want more like Auto Lane Change, that will require a new hardware swap and that will cost you more.

If you pay now for more than 2 functions above which is called FSD, then it doesn't matter whether you get older hardware or new HW3.

You paid for the function that your car will automatically negotiate with traffic lights, stop signs, roundabouts... and Elon Musk said those functions require more processing power and Tesla will swap the older ones to HW3 for no additional fee.

Tesla said in 2016 that HW2 would be FSD, but then it's HW2.5 and now HW3.

It's a mistake to lock in a contract for hardware because that hardware might not be able to perform the desired function.

Thanks for the replies.

To be honest I intended to buy FSD on both cases to lock the price that's going to rise "significantly" (we'll see about that though).
I do think that TACC is the most important feature given what's available yet, however FSD will probably be a "nice to have" soon, and maybe a "must have" in 2020. Pricing on the order is 5300 today and 7400 after ordering. So that's already +2100, without the price increases.

So FSD aside, I still have no clue if the "upgrade" from SR+ to LR is worth 5200€.

• In-car internet (LTE right?) really seems like a plus,especially the music streaming and updates without wifi.
  • Rear heated seats are somewhat a +, I don't really mind
  • Better system audio is a plus
These are also included in Premium but not in Partial Premium:

Front trunk and interior floor mats
Ambient interior lighting
Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
Web browser
HomeLink

Of the above, HomeLink for an automatic garage door is important to me. It drives me nuts when I don't have it (such as when I got a loaner while doing an annual service).

In general, the 2 features that cost a lot are:

1) Acceleration: a fraction of second is very expensive

and

2) Range: running out of battery just 1 mile for a charger is also very expensive!

I don't know homelink at all. Is it some fully proprietary stuff or can I make this work on something custom?

Homelink is a brand that Tesla uses as a supplier for automatic garage door signal system.

Very old garage door system might be incompatible with Homelink but most modern ones are fine.

For incompatible systems, Homelink offers an adapter which might work as well.

It's convenient because your car can open the garage to get out on its own and closes your garage all automatically without your input (as in today's summon and future robotaxi).

Without summon, I can manually open the garage door to get out and it will close automatically. When I come back to the garage, it would open up automatically and once I got in, I can manually close it.

Last edited: