Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD off menu again. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a LR RWD M3 March 19th. My car delivery is now impending. I've already paid for the car but there is still an "upgrade to autopilot" button enable. Just for fun, I pressed it to see what the cost might be. If I upgraded to Autopilot before delivery it would be $CDN 4,000, $CDN 5,300 if after.

Oh, $4k Canadian. My apologies, I assumed you meant USD.

I have already read the article but I still maintain it’s due to profit margin. The only difference is the addition of a front motor. Panasonic cannot meet Tesla demand as suggested by media.

I own LR RWD

The induction motor costs less than $800. But they can raise the cost of all LR cars by $3000 with it.

AP is software, there is development costs, but no inventory. Adding that to all vehicles raises avg sale price by another $2000.

Combine the two and while some buyers will pay less, overall the profit margin is better for Tesla.

Same for the low end, base car is basically 40k now (SR+ with AP). You can get the 35k with AP For $37k.

All of this is good. We want Tesla to stay profitable and in business for years to come. If for no other reason other than our warranties remaining valid.

I hate to see the LR RWD off menu again. I own two Model 3's and have come to realize that range is king. I love the extra power of the AWD. Had current prices been available I would have ordered the Performance. I still often have Performance envy. However, that is because I have the RWD as a trip car. The extra range, especially in winter, is very nice. The excellent traction control means it is still good in rain. It did fine in the mountains. Even on steep grades there is still plenty of power. I also feel the steering on the RWD is slightly better. That could be tires or it could be because I have owned a lot of RWD sports cars so the RWD is closer to what I am used to.