Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE / 5G

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the recent Ryan Shaw video on YouTube there is no 5G.

1704630250680.png

• Informative
Reactions: Evee and madmax240
I was curious about 5G on new cars. I know on my cellphone, 5G is terrible and inconsistent to the point where I just decided to set the phone to LTE. I'll have full bars 5G and zero service daily. How will this affect newer Teslas with 5G? How would they get around this?

I was curious about 5G on new cars. I know on my cellphone, 5G is terrible and inconsistent to the point where I just decided to set the phone to LTE. I'll have full bars 5G and zero service daily. How will this affect newer Teslas with 5G? How would they get around this?
There are so many variables, but 5G works poorly indoors or anywhere it has to go through a wall. A vehicle with 5G should work well in the open, especially since the antenna is far better placed (on the roof) than a hand-held phone. That said, 5G and even LTE may not work in a parking garage.

The phone design also matters as to how well they work. The older the phone, the more likely it has fewer 5G bands, although it could be the carrier too. The number of 5G cells is also far fewer than LTE cells, but this may change as the networks improve. Generally, phones and cars with 5G should drop to LTE if they don't detect a usable 5G signal. Not sure why your phone is not doing this. It's been seamless for me (Pixel Pro 8, Bay area, California).

Generally, phones and cars with 5G should drop to LTE if they don't detect a usable 5G signal. Not sure why your phone is not doing this. It's been seamless for me (Pixel Pro 8, Bay area, California).
I've been supremely disappointed with my Pixel 7 Pro for many reasons, this being one of them. It does not drop to LTE with no signal. It just sits with no 5G doing nothing and when I toggle to LTE it works fine.

I've been supremely disappointed with my Pixel 7 Pro for many reasons, this being one of them. It does not drop to LTE with no signal. It just sits with no 5G doing nothing and when I toggle to LTE it works fine.
You might ask others with different phone brands on the same carrier if they have the same issue nearby. It might be the 5G cell for your carrier has a serious problem and nothing to do with the phone, or it could be a design flaw in the phone. @DblOSmith didn't state what brand/model that he was having problems with.