Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla network in underground !!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have full LTE in my underground on my cellphone (sometimes 5G) parking on P3.
When I park on P2 , 5G easy.

However, 0 signal/network on P3 or P2 for my Tesla. Even P1 is rare.

How can I have full cellular on my cell but nothing in car lol. Is the range/antenna that bad in Teslas for network connection for LTE ?

So, I have full LTE in my underground on my cellphone (sometimes 5G) parking on P3.
When I park on P2 , 5G easy.

However, 0 signal/network on P3 or P2 for my Tesla. Even P1 is rare.

How can I have full cellular on my cell but nothing in car lol. Is the range/antenna that bad in Teslas for network connection for LTE ?
You need the same cell provider signal for your Tesla Sim card brand.

The signal maybe 100% for 1 brand but 0% for another.

You need the same cell provider signal for your Tesla Sim card brand.

The signal maybe 100% for 1 brand but 0% for another.
And how do I arrange that ? Thx

Edit: just read they use Telus in Canada.

Telus uses the same towers as Bell. So it’s not the network, it’s the weak receiver in Teslas I guess. Too bad.

Last edited:

Telus uses the same towers as Bell. So it’s not the network, it’s the weak receiver in Teslas I guess. Too bad.
Keep reading. A lot of us lost all LTE at times in the past couple of months as they move different regions over to a different company.

Although I knew it wasn't just my car, I put in a service ticket for it. The response: "There is a Rogers issue currently affecting connectivity. Tesla and Rogers are working hard on this issue."

If I am not mistaken, Telus uses many of the same towers as Bell, but not necessarily given.
If I am not mistaken, Telus uses different antennas than Bell. On some sites, Telus may be higher, on other Bell may be higher.
The highest site isn't necessarily your friend,

In buildings and parking garages (as well as stadiums and other places). The cellular companies implement in-building systems that are designed just to cover the building.

This is RF, Radio Frequencies, which the experts in the field will say is somewhat akin to black magic, especially at cellular frequencies.

You didn't really mention if P1 was higher than P3, but if P3 is the lowest, there could be an in-building system that the car is seeing.

I can assure you that in downtown Toronto, most of the buildings have in-building systems in place and that if you are in your office and can see a cell tower, that's probably not the one that you are using. Actually, downtown, I dare say that none of the coverage is from a tower, they are building mounted or in-building.

.....You didn't really mention if P1 was higher than P3, but if P3 is the lowest, there could be an in-building system that the car is seeing.....
Live in (or more correctly live above) a MONSTER Parking deck and use lots of others. All the decks I have been in P1 is the highest level and higher numbers go to lower levels (at least in below street level decks). Of course the OP is in Canada so guess it could be different.

Live in (or more correctly live above) a MONSTER Parking deck and use lots of others. All the decks I have been in P1 is the highest level and higher numbers go to lower levels (at least in below street level decks). Of course the OP is in Canada so guess it could be different.
The second that I assume that P1 is on top, there's a designer who put it on bottom.

After rereading your post, it may seem as if your phone's provider has an in-building system in your garage, but Telus doesn't. That's very common.

If I am not mistaken, Telus uses many of the same towers as Bell, but not necessarily given.
If I am not mistaken, Telus uses different antennas than Bell. On some sites, Telus may be higher, on other Bell may be higher.
The highest site isn't necessarily your friend,

In buildings and parking garages (as well as stadiums and other places). The cellular companies implement in-building systems that are designed just to cover the building.

This is RF, Radio Frequencies, which the experts in the field will say is somewhat akin to black magic, especially at cellular frequencies.

You didn't really mention if P1 was higher than P3, but if P3 is the lowest, there could be an in-building system that the car is seeing.

I can assure you that in downtown Toronto, most of the buildings have in-building systems in place and that if you are in your office and can see a cell tower, that's probably not the one that you are using. Actually, downtown, I dare say that none of the coverage is from a tower, they are building mounted or in-building.
It’s the Tesla. The frequency is weak for their LTE, similar to 3G on a cell phone but really weak.

This is why no reception.

The phone frequency is far superior that’s why I and others can get cellphone reception and not my Tesla.

There’s no “antenna boost” for my cellphone provider in the parking levels lol.

It’s Tesla. Had a friend with one try it too. He has a different cell provider. No problem with phone but his Tesla too had zero signal on most of P1 and nothing further down.

Hopefully Tesla looks at this down the road. Hate no connection with my vehicle should Sentry go off - wouldn’t know anything
P1 = 1st level
P3 = 3rd level

Ps: friends cellphone was Telus. Phone 5G, Tesla no signal

It’s the Tesla. The frequency is weak for their LTE, similar to 3G on a cell phone but really weak.

The phone frequency is far superior that’s why I and others can get cellphone reception and not my Tesla.

I'm confused. How is it that a small device like a cellphone be more capable of receiving LTE than a large device (TESLA)? There is much more space in a car to position an antenna and the size and shape of the antenna is less limited.

I have also experienced loss of streaming music at certain locations while driving and the cell phone has no problems with signals at the same location.

I know next to nothing about this subject and I'm sure there is a reasonable answer to my question.

I'm confused. How is it that a small device like a cellphone be more capable of receiving LTE than a large device (TESLA)? There is much more space in a car to position an antenna and the size and shape of the antenna is less limited.

I have also experienced loss of streaming music at certain locations while driving and the cell phone has no problems with signals at the same location.

I know next to nothing about this subject and I'm sure there is a reasonable answer to my question.
Antennas are embedded in the phone and the car and both are only about an inch long. There are multiple antennas for the different bands that can be used. Cellular uses between 600MHz to 60,000MHz.

There’s no “antenna boost” for my cellphone provider in the parking levels lol.

It’s Tesla. Had a friend with one try it too. He has a different cell provider. No problem with phone but his Tesla too had zero signal on most of P1 and nothing further down.

Hopefully Tesla looks at this down the road. Hate no connection with my vehicle should Sentry go off - wouldn’t know anything
P1 = 1st level
P3 = 3rd level

Ps: friends cellphone was Telus. Phone 5G, Tesla no signal
I hate to say it, but you are wrong. That's not the way that cellular works.

How do you know that there's no in-building systems in your garage? Do you know what they look like? Do you realize that it could look like a WiFi router or just a long cable? Nearly impossible to know exactly what it is.

The phone frequency used by your phone is very possibly the same as use by the built-on cellphone in the Tesla. Both your phone and the car use a module probably from Qualcomm.

And most importantly, talk to any cellular engineer. Cellular just isn't expected to cover inside a subterranean garage. Most RF just won't penetrate that deep in the ground.

Reactions: derotam
I hate to say it, but you are wrong. That's not the way that cellular works.

How do you know that there's no in-building systems in your garage? Do you know what they look like? Do you realize that it could look like a WiFi router or just a long cable? Nearly impossible to know exactly what it is.

The phone frequency used by your phone is very possibly the same as use by the built-on cellphone in the Tesla. Both your phone and the car use a module probably from Qualcomm.

And most importantly, talk to any cellular engineer. Cellular just isn't expected to cover inside a subterranean garage. Most RF just won't penetrate that deep in the ground.

ok so enlighten me then.

How does my iPhone have 5G (LTE full bars at worst) all the way down on Parking Level 3, easily on P2 and perfect on P1 but my Tesla has "No LTE signal" on P1, and going down no-chance to P2,P3....

I read Tesla runs on Telus network. My phone is Bell, same towers.

To to help you out more, I spoke to building management, they basically laughed at the thought of "in building systems" for cell service which I already knew but just yo help you out as I stated. And it's a commercial building lol.

Conclusion is this: Cellphones are far superior for network connection than Tesla built-in SIMs unfortunately

Stronger signal receptors in cellphones. Tesla SIMs run on that of an iPhone 4 when it did 3G capabilities is the only thing I could find searching.

Wish I could make my Tesla 5G capable. Hard when you live in a building to connection to vehicle especially for Sentry alerts

ok so enlighten me then.

How does my iPhone have 5G (LTE full bars at worst) all the way down on Parking Level 3, easily on P2 and perfect on P1 but my Tesla has "No LTE signal" on P1, and going down no-chance to P2,P3....

To to help you out more, I spoke to building management, they basically laughed at the thought of "in building systems" for cell service which I already knew but just yo help you out as I stated. And it's a commercial building lol.

Conclusion is this: Cellphones are far superior for network connection than Tesla built-in SIMs unfortunately

You are assuming the same towers. Not necessarily so.
In the city, you are assuming that the service is on towers, absolutely not.
You are assuming that the service that your phone is getting is coming from the same location that the car's is, probably wrong.
You are assuming that the frequencies that your phone is using it the same as those that the car is using, possibly not.
You are assuming that the equipment that each provider is using is equal in capability, probably not.

And you conclusion that cellphones are far superior to Tesla built-in SIMS is a prime example of just how little you understand cellular operations.

Both your phone and the car use a SIM (or electronic equivalent).
Both your phone and the car use a chipset, probably from Qualcomm to provide service.
Your car, I believe has the capability to do voice calls, just not from the consumer.

The frequencies of the signals (which may be dramatically different dependent on which service that is being used) are notorious for not penetrating things. And ground and concrete are two of those that the signals don't work well through.
I know in the tunnel system in Toronto that there are cellular systems all over the place to provide service in the underground.

And I don't know what "building management" that you talked to, but I guarantee you that there's probably a couple of hundred throughout the buildings downtown.

It's not as if I worked for a cellular company determining where cell sites need to be place.

Want to see the difference in coverage between the providers? I did a quick search and got Telus/Koodo 3G / 4G / 5G coverage in Toronto, Canada - nPerf.com
The two maps don't look exactly the same, do they?

1688663133037.png

1688663157706.png

• Informative
Reactions: derotam
ok so enlighten me then.

I was going to add some things to what @ewoodrick said but it really would just be saying the same thing a different way. I will specifically state my opinion though that you have fundamental misunderstanding about celular devices, RF propagation, cellular tower equipment and configuration...etc..etc...

And a Tesla being forced to use 5G would be worse in your situation if there is no 5G infrastructure assets in that garage...because frequencies in use, propagation...etc...etc

Ok, makes sense, so why doesn't Tesla upgrade their SIMs ?
If you want them to, they may do it for you.

But a SIM has NOTHING to do with your signal. A SIM is a subscriber identification module that says who you are. They are little cards, with metal pads, just about identical to what's on a credit card. A SIM change may be needed if you move a card from one country to another.

You are assuming the same towers. Not necessarily so.
In the city, you are assuming that the service is on towers, absolutely not.
You are assuming that the service that your phone is getting is coming from the same location that the car's is, probably wrong.
You are assuming that the frequencies that your phone is using it the same as those that the car is using, possibly not.
You are assuming that the equipment that each provider is using is equal in capability, probably not.

And you conclusion that cellphones are far superior to Tesla built-in SIMS is a prime example of just how little you understand cellular operations.

Both your phone and the car use a SIM (or electronic equivalent).
Both your phone and the car use a chipset, probably from Qualcomm to provide service.
Your car, I believe has the capability to do voice calls, just not from the consumer.

The frequencies of the signals (which may be dramatically different dependent on which service that is being used) are notorious for not penetrating things. And ground and concrete are two of those that the signals don't work well through.
I know in the tunnel system in Toronto that there are cellular systems all over the place to provide service in the underground.

And I don't know what "building management" that you talked to, but I guarantee you that there's probably a couple of hundred throughout the buildings downtown.

It's not as if I worked for a cellular company determining where cell sites need to be place.

Want to see the difference in coverage between the providers? I did a quick search and got Telus/Koodo 3G / 4G / 5G coverage in Toronto, Canada - nPerf.com
The two maps don't look exactly the same, do they?

View attachment 953738
View attachment 953739
Absolutley, positively, did not nor cannot answer my question lol

You really have a lot of time on your hands though - very nice maps :)

Absolutley, positively, did not nor cannot answer my question lol

You really have a lot of time on your hands though - very nice maps :)

What do you want me to say? I'm just stating facts.

Yes, I spent hours making those maps in Adobe.

or maybe I got them from Telus/Koodo 3G / 4G / 5G coverage - nPerf.com
Or do your own work and compare networks.

Here's another one Canada Cellular Coverage Maps Compared - Cellular Maps.com

Wow, everyone is making this stuff up since every cellular provide is on the exact same tower. So how are their coverage maps so different?

I actually find the Tesla to get better reception than my cell. My cell is on Telus. Tesla is on ???...maybe Telus in BC?
Last time was on BC Ferries from Victoria to Van. Usually I have no problem with my cell in my car on BC Ferries but I'm usually closer to the front. I think this last time I was in the middle, no open windows close by.
Tesla was fine streaming YT during the voyage but my phone could barely get a connection and timed out just trying to load a simple webpage.

On that same trip I was in a campground area without cell service. The Tesla kept signal further into the no cell area than my phone did. Tesla would start streaming music before my phone could receive an email on the way out as I got closer to the cell service area.