Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE connection almost completely unreliable lately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S 90D that has developed a serious LTE connectivity problem (roughly 50% no-service) over the last month or so. It’s tough to timeline it to any particular event, but I would say that two things happened around the same time that I started noticing this:

1) I upgraded to the .12 firmware (and it is still stuck on .12....)
2) I had my large middle screen replaced for a yellow discoloration around the perimeter of the screen.

The symptom is no very frequent no cellular coverage - no bars with a line thru the icon. Often an MCU reboot from the screen will bring it back to live temporarily.

This has gone from a minor hassle to a major usability issue with the car - no maps, no traffic, no voice control, ....

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I should note that home base is upstate NY (about an hour north of the city) with perfectly adequate AT&T coverage on phones. Today I drove from manhattan to boston and back with the issue happening for up to an hour at a time.

Yes, I have a 2018 MX MCU2 with severe LTE issues.

Do you happen to have an Apple Watch?

Mine is/was Intermittent. Zero bars with lines through them. Then a reboot would fix it.

I pretty much narrowed it down to my Apple Watch Cellular connection. As long as the LTE Cellular is "OFF" on my Apple Watch, I don't have any LTE/Connection issues.

The only recurring now is that my Tesla Web Browser doesn't browse. IT's an all white screen even after I type in a new web address. It doesn't appear the browser is even accessing any data. A reboot also fixes this. But for a short time.

Let me know if that helps. Otherwise, may be another issues.

• Informative
Reactions: trace
Interesting I have a MX75 MCU 1. Have had issues intermittently over the past week but I blamed it on my trip up to Canada. Today connectivity is lost every time I leave the car and the main screen is almost frozen or lagging by 25-50 seconds. Almost unusable GPS, and even my climate control is down since screen gets so lagged down. Called support multiple times today to no avail. I’m running 18.2, no prior connectivity issues or screen issues before.

Hi all - just an interim followup. My issues with the intermittent LTE connection have continued - turning my cellular Apple Watch off (and using airplane mode) didn’t seem to improve the issue. I have an appointment in with my local service center next week and will follow up here on any conclusions from that.

• Informative
Reactions: deonb
Hi all - just an interim followup. My issues with the intermittent LTE connection have continued - turning my cellular Apple Watch off (and using airplane mode) didn’t seem to improve the issue. I have an appointment in with my local service center next week and will follow up here on any conclusions from that.

Same here. No improvement by turning off my watch. Also disconnected my phone from Bluetooth with multiple triple resets and no improvement. When my LTE goes out sometimes my turn signal sounds lag or my door closing tone doesn’t ring until I force reset. Same with back up cam and turn signs sounds. Time for SC appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: deonb
I've August 2016 MS (was 60D, upgraded to 75D). I had identical issue on my car. in last about 8 weeks. Service Center replaced following....they also updated with 2018.18 patch.

Corrections: SIM Card - With SIM Extender (Remove and Replace)
Removed MCU and replaced sim card for connectivity. Tested LTE operation to confirm
connection.
Part Quantity
SIM CARD, JASPER (1035347-00-A) 1
PCBA, LTE CONNECTIVITY, UBLOX GPS
(1054968-01-A)
CBL,COAXIAL.50.OHM,100mm.U.FL
(1010854-00-A)
CLIP, TRIM, A-PNL 1.3, B-PNL 12.51
(1007722-00-A)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Connectivity Board (Without Gyro Board)
With replacement of the sim card, we also replaced the connectivity board.

Even after this, LTE continued disconnecting frequently (only at the start of the car) and would work normally after I hard reset (two scroll wheels). I put car in once again for repair. They checked and told me that it happens as I seem to be using another (other than google) browser. I don't recall using any other browser, but after they cleared this, car is working normally. It's now 4 days after this.

Same here. No improvement by turning off my watch. Also disconnected my phone from Bluetooth with multiple triple resets and no improvement. When my LTE goes out sometimes my turn signal sounds lag or my door closing tone doesn’t ring until I force reset. Same with back up cam and turn signs sounds. Time for SC appointment.
I’m having similar issues with my 85D. I’m curious if anyone having these issues also uses the Tesla Waze website, as I do? I’m wondering if its resource needs may have started to have some effect when using Tesla’s browser and first gen display hardware.

Hi - just wanted to close out my experience with this issue for posterity.

Service diagnosed my issue as a bad modem card. They replaced the "connectivity board" and SIM card under warranty:
Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 10.35.03 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Nevek and brkaus