Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous upgrade booked March 30, 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's reasonable... you'll certainly get some of it back, and I keep considering it. But I do expect that the most of the people looking for L vehicles will tend toward the P90DLs.

The really early P85Ds - yours and mine - that we bought at close to par $$$ in 2014 have really held their resale value. That's a mix of the C$ drop and the fact that the PD vehicles have gotten progressively more expensive in general.

If your still considering it, let me help you pushing you across to the dark side...

WIth the price of Ludicrous going up again (no more P90DL, ONLY P100DL), I think being Ludicrous even in a lowly P85DL will help keeping the (your) car value up...more so than what the P85D or P90D will go for!
...but then I have a stake in this, so not totally objective ;)

It will be interesting in a few years to see prices for similar mileage 85Ds, 85DLs, 90Ds and 90DLs. There isn't too much else different in the cars other than the battery size and Ludicrous (or not).

Speaking as someone who bought via CPO program, we chose the 85 over the P85 because the P was constantly stepping out and required extremely accurate throttle inputs in wet conditions to avoid the traction control from stepping in compared to the 85 which is more subdued.

If the D and DL were on the CPO market when we were looking, we would have considered the DL over the D any day.

If your still considering it, let me help you pushing you across to the dark side...

WIth the price of Ludicrous going up again (no more P90DL, ONLY P100DL), I think being Ludicrous even in a lowly P85DL will help keeping the (your) car value up...more so than what the P85D or P90D will go for!
...but then I have a stake in this, so not totally objective ;)

Uh oh. This is starting to make sense. That's worrisome. :)

Reactions: Roadrunner13
Good for you. Let us know how you feel about it once complete. I'm due for an inspection in the next month and that would be a good time to do it if I'm ever going to.

That was also my reasoning... please take my money NOW, so I can at least enjoy it for as long as possible!!!
I was about to say, waiting won't make the price go down...but then again, our country's $ is pegged to petrol, so who knows! :)

Good for you. Let us know how you feel about it once complete. I'm due for an inspection in the next month and that would be a good time to do it if I'm ever going to.
Do they still let you sign up for it? This what they said when they announced it:

"This option will cost $10k for new buyers. In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor."

Now that was 13 months ago and they didn't even start doing upgrades in Canada until well past the six month mark so perhaps they changed their mind on the time limit.

Do they still let you sign up for it? This what they said when they announced it:

"This option will cost $10k for new buyers. In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor."

Now that was 13 months ago and they didn't even start doing upgrades in Canada until well past the six month mark so perhaps they changed their mind on the time limit.

I think yes...

I got my car back today after my upgrade and it does feel zipper although, for some reason, it was set to Sport rather than Ludicrous. But I haven't had a chance to try it out too much.

The only issue was that it took an extra day as my touchscreen was dead after Ludicrous upgrade. So they had to replace the MCU. And in doing so it looks like I now only have a 3G radio - I paid to have it upgraded to LTE a year ago. And with the new MCU all of my settings were wiped so I had to reprogram my Homelink, Wifi passwords, phone connection, etc. Not to my mention Slacker Favorites, web page bookmarks, etc.