Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug Nuts for Aftermarket Wheels and 129lbs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, newb here with a question about lug nuts that can be used with aftermarket wheels and still be able to handle the 129 lbs torque spec from Tesla. I've done quite a bit of searching but I either find someone who's got aftermarket wheels and lugs but doesn't torque them to the suggested 129lbs, a lot of threads asking to replace the poor quality OEM lugs for their STOCK wheels (ie, Gorilla lugs sold by Amazon or evannex), OEM lugs going from close ended to open ended, Tsportline/Unplugged Performance wheel upgrades that were madder to work with factory lugs, etc.

I have yet to find any that specifically state the type, brand, model, etc, of the AFTERMARKET lug nuts that they are using with their AFTERMARKET wheels that can handle the 129lbs of torque specified. Can someone with aftermarket wheels pleaser let me know what lugs they are using and if they are torquing them to oem specs.

Some threads that I found

Post #3 is helpful but is again regarding oem wheels
Lug Nuts

Mentions wheels and locks but not brand and if torqued correctly
Musterion's New Staggered Ride (20" wheels + XPEL wrap + Opticoat + Alignment)

Lug nut seat angle but nothing else
Aftermarket winter rims: lug nut seat angle?

Etc, etc. Anyways, sorry for the long post.

These factory open ended lug nuts (pictured right) from Tesla should do the trick. Not pretty, but a improvement over their original close ended lug nuts (left). Simply purchase lug nut covers to hide the unsightly open hole design.

IMG_2983.JPG

These factory open ended lug nuts (pictured right) from Tesla should do the trick. Not pretty, but a improvement over their original close ended lug nuts (left). Simply purchase lug nut covers to hide the unsightly open hole design.

Great. Thank you for the reply. I'm coming from a Mitsubishi Evo X that had to get aftermarket tuner lugs when I got my Advan Racing GT wheels. I'm kind of surprised that the OEM lug nuts work. Just to confirm one more time (I'm kind of slow I guess...and thank you for your time), the factory lug nuts will work with aftermarket wheels like Vossen, Avant Garde, etc?

The torque won't be an issue, as its a matter of bolt size so any nut that fits on the tesla studs will be able to handle the torque. The shape of the lug nuts can vary depending on after market wheels though. Some have a cone shape and some have a spherical shape. Some also have very narrow counterbores around that nuts that require special lug nuts. Whoever sells you the wheel should be able to provide you some nuts that will fit properly. I know tire rack does this without you even having to ask.

The torque won't be an issue, as its a matter of bolt size so any nut that fits on the tesla studs will be able to handle the torque. The shape of the lug nuts can vary depending on after market wheels though. Some have a cone shape and some have a spherical shape. Some also have very narrow counterbores around that nuts that require special lug nuts. Whoever sells you the wheel should be able to provide you some nuts that will fit properly. I know tire rack does this without you even having to ask.

Thanks. That helps. I guess I was just being paranoid due to the high torque specs.