Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luton Airport Car Park 2 Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
think the valuable lesson from this whole thing is: people shouldn't fly out of Luton to begin with.
Don't drive to Luton Airport. There is a rail link.

Oh, absolutely not. Manchester is the absolute pits.
Mind you, deciding which UK airport is worse is no easy task…

Manchester.

To be fair, I've only sampled Manchester, Heathrow, Gatwick and Liverpool.

Whilst we're picking, it's in my old Manchester borough called Trafford, so strictly speaking, it is 👍
Is it?

1697116303538.png

Nice council tax area there 👍 The comings & goings are all processed through TBC
It has it's own Mcr postcode designation - M90
It's a Mcr airport 😉Unless you suggest it's in somewhere else; called what btw?
well, i just plugged in Trafford in google and it showed me the area.

there many many airports in the world which has city's name and is not in the city itself. it does not make them some different destination.

when you fly to Stockholm you land in Arlanda. but it is Stockholm Arlanda airport.

not sure why this discussion, as such, is here at all :D

We have a lot of pointless debates on here but this one is taking the biscuit.
No one actually likes airports, any airports. They are all a pain in the butt.
The best airport is the one that has a flight to the destination you want to fly to at the time you want to go at the best price on an airline you can tolerate and is the shortest distance away from where you live and is not currently on fire. Period. No one choses an airport based on the colour of the walls or how friendly the staff are.
Now lets get back to discussing getting those dangerous ICE vehicles banned from carparks can we?

Serious question.
Now that the vehicle that started the fire has been pretty unambiguously identified, you can litterally read the number plate on one of the videos, does that mean 1000+ people and Luton airport get to make a claim against that persons insurance?

At the risk of going off topic once more but for the avoidance of doubt, Manchester Airport falls within the boundaries of Manchester City Council and therefore it is fair to state that it actually is in Manchester! If in doubt check the official ward boundaries on the city council website: Ward boundaries - All wards | Manchester City Council
I have flown from Manchester airport twice this year and I am flying from there again next year and yet strangely I don't care.

Reactions: JupiterMan
My condolences… ;)
To be fair I have flown from there many times and my car has never so much as been singed. so there is that.

I used to say any flight you can walk away from is a good one but after this week I am raising the bar to any flight you don't have to walk away from, cos you no longer own a car, is a good one.

I am not sure you can make a carpark out of steel and design it not to collapse in a decent car fire

Not a good look that the penny pinching Luton airport execs skimped on sprinklers, given it was only build 4 years ago

I have no idea if what would have saved the day, but wouldn't it have quenched the fire enough to stop it developing before the Brigade got there?

So many things collide here…

• All those heavy EVs - Might be true someday but far outweighed by all the SUVs
  • Fire suppression - Water on liquid fuel is not a great idea. I’d like to know the best solution, foam or oxygen staving gas. I guess it would make for an expensive system
  • ICE cars dump liquid/fuel when burning so easily spread fire
  • EVs burn hotter but the comparison to exploding bike batteries is probably no a good one as the batteries are much better contained
  • Hybrids worst combo on so many levels.
  • EVs fuel is hidden deep within to prevent damage therefore reasonably protected vs a plastic fuel tank
  • EVs fuel most at risk during heat stress, interestingly this brings up the issue of charging while in the car park
  • EVs have a lot of management surrounding the batteries, fuses/thermal cutouts etc.
  • Car parks, due to my work I commission lighting in them. The amount I see under buildings made me question the fire risk long before this.
  • Fire brigade response - by design they are easy for people to get in and out of, so the risk to life is low. Cars are insured so in this world of health and safety why put your staff at risk

Status
Not open for further replies.