Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 and rebate in the new FORD era...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although you should in theory also lose $14k in accelerated deprecation in year one of the cars life...and another $14k when your evil gets clawed back for not holding the rwd car for 12 months.

Just because you got a 14k deal doesn't mean that the vehicle will instantly lose 14k value. If the vehicle is still full price in many other parts of the country and can be sold there with a normal depreciation adjustment. And, if Ontario loses the 14k rebate, then even in Ontario that vehicle will only have normal depreciation.

Just because you got a 14k deal doesn't mean that the vehicle will instantly lose 14k value. If the vehicle is still full price in many other parts of the country and can be sold there with a normal depreciation adjustment. And, if Ontario loses the 14k rebate, then even in Ontario that vehicle will only have normal depreciation.
it's an approximation. Cars generally lose 15-20% of their value in the first year, and when trading in to a dealer, that discount can widen. While a tesla depreciates less aggressively than fossil car over time, in the first year or so, it's not too dissimilar.

20% of $70,000 = $14,000

3094jf8.png

So I hear ford talk about eliminating the cap and trade system, but is that related to the EVIP program? Are they not separate things? More concerning, I recall the province changing the EVIP conditions annually without any law change it seemed. It just happened one day as a surprise. Realistically, how quickly can ford scrap EVIP? First day? First week? First month? Do they actually have to pass a bill to cancel the program, or do they just make an announcement and it’s over? I’m likely taking delivery June 30th and am really hoping it’ll take a few weeks to get eliminated

So I hear ford talk about eliminating the cap and trade system, but is that related to the EVIP program? Are they not separate things? More concerning, I recall the province changing the EVIP conditions annually without any law change it seemed. It just happened one day as a surprise. Realistically, how quickly can ford scrap EVIP? First day? First week? First month? Do they actually have to pass a bill to cancel the program, or do they just make an announcement and it’s over? I’m likely taking delivery June 30th and am really hoping it’ll take a few weeks to get eliminated
They are totally 100% linked. If Ford announces scrapping it before you take delivery you're hooped.

Not necessarily. Depends on the wind down. We have to wait and see. Worst case scenario and your correct.

The minute Ford tells bureaucrats the program is dead the bare minimum that'll occur immediately is the department will stop taking new applications. How existing applications are handled, how the program exits, how existing contracts are honoured, that's all more complicated. But he's said killing it is his first item of business, and the first step in killing it is stopping new applications for rebates. Do you see it playing out any other way? I think new applications could be done in 2 weeks, depends how long it takes him to work out the official announcement.

The minute Ford tells bureaucrats the program is dead the bare minimum that'll occur immediately is the department will stop taking new applications. How existing applications are handled, how the program exits, how existing contracts are honoured, that's all more complicated. But he's said killing it is his first item of business, and the first step in killing it is stopping new applications for rebates. Do you see it playing out any other way? I think new applications could be done in 2 weeks, depends how long it takes him to work out the official announcement.

As you know cap and trade is a widely diversified program covering multiple industries across Ontario. The EV incentive among other things is financed by it. Our concern is the EV program. With cap and trade dismantled the EV program, as it stands, won’t continue. The political rhetoric is centered around gas prices to please the masses. I just don’t see it happening overnight. Hopefully as you say new apps will still be valid and accepted for a time. We’re just going to have to wait.

We’re pretty good at waiting :)