Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 broke down, was not drivable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 Model 3 (VIN 2588) just died on me yesterday. I was making my first Costco run in 3 weeks during this pandemic. I got back to my car and got warnings to "safely pull over" and "electrical power reduced." Fortunately I was not driving. Got towed to Tesla Buena Park and still have not heard back. I've had my Model 3LR for 2 yrs 3 months. 60k on the odometer. This is my first major issue I've had. SOC was about 80 - 85%. Have been driving to work about 3 days a week, so it has not been sitting in the garage for long periods. Hopefully Tesla will cover this as I am just out of warranty due to mileage.

Attachments

• 20200424_125317.jpg
    20200424_125317.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200424_125320.jpg
    20200424_125320.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I just looked it up. You're right - for battery and drive unit:
8 yrs 100,000 miles for SR
8 yrs 120,000 miles for LR

Tesla roadside said I was out of warranty and they were going to charge me for a tow. Luckily I had AAA and got a free tow.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Just curious, did they tell you just based on online diagnostics that it wasn't your battery (HV) and drive which should still be under warranty? Or is it just that your free roadside service ended with your 5 year / 50k mi warranty? I'm thinking they should still cover it if may be your battery or drive that needs replacement...

No, I wasn't. Models S and X are the only ones that you can get an extended warranty on (which covers roadside I believe), not 3 or Y.

FWIW you can get an equivalent-to-OEM extended warranty on the 3 here:

X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

You can use code MJC4JI9375 for $100 off.

They do S/X too but you'd have to judge how it compared with Teslas there... No Y yet, but I expect they'll add that eventually.

FWIW you can get an equivalent-to-OEM extended warranty on the 3 here:

X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

You can use code MJC4JI9375 for $100 off.

They do S/X too but you'd have to judge how it compared with Teslas there... No Y yet, but I expect they'll add that eventually.

No offense but I feel like non-mfr extended warranties are a scam. I've tried to use the warranty before and I've gotten the run around on why they don't cover any little cost and they try to make excuses why not to cover your repairs or parts replacement. Total nightmare. I ended up having to pay a lot of it out of pocket to an extent were it wasn't even worth the time and effort spent in arguing.

I just looked it up. You're right - for battery and drive unit:
8 yrs 100,000 miles for SR
8 yrs 120,000 miles for LR

Tesla roadside said I was out of warranty and they were going to charge me for a tow. Luckily I had AAA and got a free tow.

The towing is only covered for the extent of the primary warranty (4/50), and 12v battery would fall under that anyway, but if its the motor, that should be covered under the 8 year/ 1x0 mile warranty.

Note: Glad I kept AAA membership

No offense but I feel like non-mfr extended warranties are a scam. I've tried to use the warranty before and I've gotten the run around on why they don't cover any little cost and they try to make excuses why not to cover your repairs or parts replacement. Total nightmare. I ended up having to pay a lot of it out of pocket to an extent were it wasn't even worth the time and effort spent in arguing.

I mean- this one literally covers the same stuff the Tesla 4 year/50k one does (but out to well north of 100k depending what version you buy).... and is exclusionary (meaning they cover everything except specifically listed-in-writing exclusions)-again basically mirroring Teslas original coverage.

Usually the extended warranties with issues are the ones where they tell you a lot of surprise things aren't covered- in this case everything not specifically in writing on the exclusions disclosure is covered.

And all work is done at Tesla.

Of the few folks who've actually posted here as owners of the coverage who needed work, AFAIK none ever had any issue getting their work paid for by the warranty company.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Of the few folks who've actually posted here as owners of the coverage who needed work, AFAIK none ever had any issue getting their work paid for by the warranty company.

I saw one that had an issue getting the repair authorized, but it was resolved fairly quickly and the X-Care rep said they made sure to update all of their adjudication staff on the correct policy so as not to have the same problem with anyone else.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
It was the typical pick up experience of just being handed the key with no explanation. The service advisor texted me that the rear drive unit was replaced and the car was ready to be picked up. The invoice was supposed to emailed but never was. When I picked up the car, there was no service provider there. When asked what was repaired, I was told the 12V battery was replaced. I texted back asking for the invoice but did not receive a reply. I had to call again today and finally received the invoice.
"Replaced rear drive unit. Rear drive unit failed when performing test. Replaced pyro fuse. Pyro fuse open due rear drive.
Replaced 12v battery. 12v Battery failed load test."
Not sure what that means.