Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 driving stiff or is it just me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's really good mileage for a powerful ICE car. My G35 Coupe was about the same HP, but it only got about 18 mph around town! I was going through 2 tanks of premium a month. About 320 miles per tank and $60 to fill! That's one of the reasons I got rid of it.
Yeah, the Charger for its size and HP rating is fantastic on the mpg’s. It has an 8-speed transmission so that, along with it being a V-6, has something to do with the great mileage.

I too find the ride stiff and jarring sometimes especially at low speeds. Highway speeds it seems to be soaking up the bumps pretty good except those big ones. I am running very low PSI (37 cold), feels better than the recommended 45. Not minding the warning message. My other car is a CRV, using for two years now, may be the reason for this feel. I think I am also getting used to the ride, but researching on aftermarket comfort suspension on the parallel.
wondering if you got used to the ride? I'm at seven days after driving an S for nearly 3 years. Lowered tire pressure to 42 from 45... still very stiff.

It’s a great ride and handles bumps really well. Like I said, it’s just an obvious observation and not what I expected. My Charger is really comfortable on long trips and I hope my Model 3 is as well. The seats are very comfortable in the M3 so no worries there. I know it’s a sports suspension, but I’ll need to dial it in to get ready for long trips.

tey changing the steering mode to comfort instead of sport. Curious if that makes a difference in the feeling for you.

I have mine in sport mode, but to me this thing feels really nimble. If I accelerate hard around a corner it feels like the tail end just float around and comes in line.

now full disclosure - this is my first sports car... I’m coming from a 2003 Tundra... so um. Yeah. Nimble. Haha

Reactions: house9
I think Tesla was targeting BMW when they tuned the suspension. It is on the firmer side. If you have never owned a car with a sportier suspension then it will take a little getting used to. It is supposed corner flatter, change direction quicker, hug the road better, sharper, more direct, etc. The trade off is you feel every bump in the road. This is where adaptive suspensions (magnetic ride shocks) enable the best of both worlds. The higher trims on a Dodge Challenger, Chargers, Chevy Camaro, Corvette, Cadillac, even Mustangs offer mag ride suspension now. With the press of a button you go from feeling every pebble in the road to a comfort setting for highway cruising. I am sure Tesla will eventually add it to the Model 3 but folks would love it right now.

wondering if you got used to the ride? I'm at seven days after driving an S for nearly 3 years. Lowered tire pressure to 42 from 45... still very stiff.

Got used to the ride a bit, but still looking for a comfortable ride. Running 39PSI as the temperature fluctuation these days drops it quite a bit. Reading these forums for an aftermarket suspension, I haven't found one yet which can convincingly say will give a smoother ride.

Yep, these cars are suspended for performance. I completely upgraded the suspension in my '66 Mustang to Shelby spec. Stiffer coils/leaf springs, replaced 3/4" front roll bar to 1" and installed 3/4" in the rear where there was none, and all rubber bushings with poly.

First drive out of the garage I was stunned at the stiffness, but quickly realized a massive improvement in handling. My Model 3 feels almost identical. Being an older guy I came from engineering where a soft ride was the goal, but the old cars handled like a refrigerator on a skateboard in comparison.
Performance suspension = safer, more responsive. I fault the road condition instead of the suspension. I predict you will adapt and grow to appreciate the engineered suspension. With its low center of gravity, the M3 LR AWD handles better than any car I've ever driven.

no. I’ve lowered mine to 40. Ride is still bouncy. It’s just not a great suspension.

I think Tesla was targeting BMW when they tuned the suspension. It is on the firmer side. If you have never owned a car with a sportier suspension then it will take a little getting used to. It is supposed corner flatter, change direction quicker, hug the road better, sharper, more direct, etc. The trade off is you feel every bump in the road. This is where adaptive suspensions (magnetic ride shocks) enable the best of both worlds. The higher trims on a Dodge Challenger, Chargers, Chevy Camaro, Corvette, Cadillac, even Mustangs offer mag ride suspension now. With the press of a button you go from feeling every pebble in the road to a comfort setting for highway cruising. I am sure Tesla will eventually add it to the Model 3 but folks would love it right now.

The ride is not good firm. At least on the non-performance, it’s a bad combo of firm, with a lack high speed control.

Yep, these cars are suspended for performance. I completely upgraded the suspension in my '66 Mustang to Shelby spec. Stiffer coils/leaf springs, replaced 3/4" front roll bar to 1" and installed 3/4" in the rear where there was none, and all rubber bushings with poly.

First drive out of the garage I was stunned at the stiffness, but quickly realized a massive improvement in handling. My Model 3 feels almost identical. Being an older guy I came from engineering where a soft ride was the goal, but the old cars handled like a refrigerator on a skateboard in comparison.
Performance suspension = safer, more responsive. I fault the road condition instead of the suspension. I predict you will adapt and grow to appreciate the engineered suspension. With its low center of gravity, the M3 LR AWD handles better than any car I've ever driven.

I couldn’t disagree more. The suspsension on the Model 3 isn’t an excellent sports
suspension. It’s an “ok” stiff suspension with not a lot of ride control when the inputs start to get more intense.

I’ve owned quite a few performance cars, some stock, some modded. My current weekend car is a 911 Carrera S. It honestly has a better ride than my Model 3. And far better handling. A sporty suspension shouldn’t be overly stiff. BMW’s of the 89’s and 90’s that defined the “Ultimate Driving Machine” tagline weren't overly stiff. They were all comfortable cruisers that had excellent body control. The whole “sporty = stiff” started about 15 years ago and has gotten progressively worse as wheels have gotten larger, tire sidewalks smaller, and rides worse.

The Model 3 suffers from having overly stiff springs while also being under damped. This leads to a flinty, bouncy ride but at higher speeds, the control starts to erode. It feels “sporty” because it’s stiff, but if you’ve ever driven a really well set up sports suspension, you’ll know the Model 3 isn’t it.

I’ve heard good reports about aftermarket coilovers. A buddy of mine who owns and has tracked both his M3P and his 911
GT3 has just installed the MPP Sports and reported what other have reported: better ride AND more control and composure. I’m looking forward to trying a set locally and then pulling the trigger.

no. I’ve lowered mine to 40. Ride is still bouncy. It’s just not a great suspension.

The ride is not good firm. At least on the non-performance, it’s a bad combo of firm, with a lack high speed control.

I couldn’t disagree more. The suspsension on the Model 3 isn’t an excellent sports
suspension. It’s an “ok” stiff suspension with not a lot of ride control when the inputs start to get more intense.

I’ve owned quite a few performance cars, some stock, some modded. My current weekend car is a 911 Carrera S. It honestly has a better ride than my Model 3. And far better handling. A sporty suspension shouldn’t be overly stiff. BMW’s of the 89’s and 90’s that defined the “Ultimate Driving Machine” tagline weren't overly stiff. They were all comfortable cruisers that had excellent body control. The whole “sporty = stiff” started about 15 years ago and has gotten progressively worse as wheels have gotten larger, tire sidewalks smaller, and rides worse.

The Model 3 suffers from having overly stiff springs while also being under damped. This leads to a flinty, bouncy ride but at higher speeds, the control starts to erode. It feels “sporty” because it’s stiff, but if you’ve ever driven a really well set up sports suspension, you’ll know the Model 3 isn’t it.

I’ve heard good reports about aftermarket coilovers. A buddy of mine who owns and has tracked both his M3P and his 911
GT3 has just installed the MPP Sports and reported what other have reported: better ride AND more control and composure. I’m looking forward to trying a set locally and then pulling the trigger.

I agree with you. I actually think the suspension is one of the weak spots of the Model 3 Performance I own. I came out of a Camaro 1LE and then all C7 Grand Sport and and those cars have much better control at the limit than the Model 3. Chevy has some of the best chassis engineers in the industry and put down some of the best lateral grip numbers. Combined with mag ride dampers they offer great handling on track and street.

I set my expectations low for the Model 3 when it comes to handling when I traded the corvette. It handles ok but like you said many folks have not owned a true sports cars before so they don’t have anything to compare it to. I have a SR+ as well and I prefer the way it handles over my M3P+. 400lbs less weight over the nose and having the weight of the rear motor where it sits makes the SR+ handle more like a mid engine car.

We just need more time for true EV sports cars to hit the market. I really wonder what a Mazda Miata EV would drive like. Keep it really light, under 2500lbs, RWD with about 300 hp and torque. That would be a wild ride. I am interested in what a convertible EV would be like as well without the noise, seems weird.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
I agree with you. I actually think the suspension is one of the weak spots of the Model 3 Performance I own. I came out of a Camaro 1LE and then all C7 Grand Sport and and those cars have much better control at the limit than the Model 3. Chevy has some of the best chassis engineers in the industry and put down some of the best lateral grip numbers. Combined with mag ride dampers they offer great handling on track and street.

I set my expectations low for the Model 3 when it comes to handling when I traded the corvette. It handles ok but like you said many folks have not owned a true sports cars before so they don’t have anything to compare it to. I have a SR+ as well and I prefer the way it handles over my M3P+. 400lbs less weight over the nose and having the weight of the rear motor where it sits makes the SR+ handle more like a mid engine car.

We just need more time for true EV sports cars to hit the market. I really wonder what a Mazda Miata EV would drive like. Keep it really light, under 2500lbs, RWD with about 300 hp and torque. That would be a wild ride. I am interested in what a convertible EV would be like as well without the noise, seems weird.

The next Boxster and Cayman will be EV’s.

If you haven't driven sports cars you will thick Tesla's suspension is hard but after a while you'll enjoy more and more as you feel what the car does on the road than you previous soft sponge of a vehicle suspension. Try not to lower your tyre pressure below 42psi as you'll chew through your tires real fast as well you could bend the rims on potholes. I won't go above 18" tires on any vehicle I have owned in the past.
F1 cars don't have big rims & Formula E are 18" and I'm not saying Tesla's are full on racing cars.
470F80AA-9A24-4DC7-B597-164B2AD62688.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 19.05.54.png

Are there any aftermarket solutions offering mag ride shocks?

Are there any aftermarket solutions offering mag ride shocks?

I have not seen anything. I would doubt you would see magnetic dampers offered as an aftermarket item as they are pretty complicated and need to be integrated into the software of the vehicle for proper tuning. Think drive modes and the controller needs to communicate with the ECU, etc. The more common aftermarket solution would be coil overs.

If you haven't driven sports cars you will thick Tesla's suspension is hard but after a while you'll enjoy more and more as you feel what the car does on the road than you previous soft sponge of a vehicle suspension. Try not to lower your tyre pressure below 42psi as you'll chew through your tires real fast as well you could bend the rims on potholes. I won't go above 18" tires on any vehicle I have owned in the past.
F1 cars don't have big rims & Formula E are 18" and I'm not saying Tesla's are full on racing cars.View attachment 496270View attachment 496271

again, I disagree that you’ll “enjoy it more”. I have owned and do still own, cars with a stiffer suspension than this. But they still have a better ride.

Regarding tire pressure, I have run 40 psi since new and have 30k on mine and still have at least 1/4 tread depth left. This is mainly highway driving, though. I agree on too low pressure will leave you vulnerable to sidewall damage.