Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 due to arrive today, 580-mile trip tomorrow: Am I crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post and my first Tesla, an M3, long range, AWD. I did not determine when it would arrive, of course, but my wife and I really want to be with our daughter in Atlanta for Christmas so tomorrow is the travel day whether we like it or not: Little Rock to Monroe on the other side of Atlanta. We could take our other car, a Prius, but that's not gonna happen unless you guys convince me taking the M3 is crazy. So any advice for me? Bad idea? No problem? I've done a reasonable amount of time planning this, but there is a lot I don't know. The plan is to stop at SCs in Memphis, Tupelo, Birmingham, and Oxford (AL).

This is my first post and my first Tesla, an M3, long range, AWD. I did not determine when it would arrive, of course, but my wife and I really want to be with our daughter in Atlanta for Christmas so tomorrow is the travel day whether we like it or not: Little Rock to Monroe on the other side of Atlanta. We could take our other car, a Prius, but that's not gonna happen unless you guys convince me taking the M3 is crazy. So any advice for me? Bad idea? No problem? I've done a reasonable amount of time planning this, but there is a lot I don't know. The plan is to stop at SCs in Memphis, Tupelo, Birmingham, and Oxford (AL).
Not crazy at all, just be a little conservative at the superchargers and have even more remaining charge at the next supercharger than you think you need. It just calms the nerves when you are driving a brand new car that has a different fueling strategy. Once you drive it more you'll get used to the nuances.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

Only thing I would strongly suggest is to stop at a Supercharger to before leaving (hopefully have one nearby) to verify you can Supercharge (ie no issues with the charge port).

Also in case people aren't aware, you need to add a credit card to your account if you haven't already done so that when you go to Supercharge the Tesla system can do the payment portion.

Since there's no motor to gently break in like in an ICE car, you should be good to go. Maybe pack some bug spray to clean your car if that's going to be an issue traveling south.

Thanks to you all for really good points of advice.

I think the Birmingham SC will work out because it's right on the route i normally take to bridge the gap in interstates, but I'll double check.

I'll check the charger situation at Birmingham before leaving Tupelo, thanks for the heads up. But it's Alabama, not S CA l!! :)

Good idea to try out the local SC (the only one in AR, and it's only a few miles away). To see if I can do it and whether my credit card is properly in the system...it's listed in my Tesla app.

I will definitely check out ABTP later but my hands will be full on this trip. I have tried it out on my computer and it certainly adds a lot over the Tesla app.

Will register my referral as soon as I can figure out how!

And I'll definitely be conservative until I have figured out what to expect with my driving style. With my Prius I know that there is a rapid drop-off in mileage above 65 mph, will be interested in how the M3 compares on this point. I'm sure this has been discussed but I have not seen it yet.

In general, keep it to the speed limit and you should be fine. If there’s ever any question about range, just slow down 5 mph. Do that early in the leg and 5 mph might be all that’s needed. Do it when you’re 3/4 of the way through the leg and more drastic slowdowns will be needed.

The energy app on the screen is good to keep track of your progress. The Trip page on that shows how you’re proceeding compared to the prediction for the current leg. The Consumption page shows you you efficiency over the last 5/15/30 miles.