Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Keyfobs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over a one month+ period, my wife's Samsung S8 has worked 100% of the time. I bought the key fob for myself. It arrived last week. I bought a silicone florescent cover for it - glows in the dark! I don't carry a smartphone. Personally, I'm loving NOT having a smartphone in my pocket.

Touche. ;) I can't imagine not having a smartphone in my pocket. I'll admit it, I'm addicted.

A few reasons for me...

3. Ability to give the keyfob to someone who will be providing a service, and know they know what to do with it. I even bought a keycard wallet, that I could give to someone if needed (valet parking, car washing, window tinting, car wrapping, relative running to the store, etc etc). Explaining usage of this keyfob takes 20 seconds, because everyone understands a car keyfob at this point. Push once on the roof to lock, twice to unlock. Done.

Handing someone a keycard, even in a wallet, and telling them that is for driving your car, and they get a glazed look on their face that says "whaaaa?????" even if they dont say it. As Model 3s get more and more "out in the wild" that will be less and less of an issue, but for right now, it is definitely an issue. Not giving someone my phone, and afraid they would lose my keycard if they cant hang it with the rest of their keys. Even with the key wallet, it is different than their normal processes... and different is not necessarily good when it comes to these things.

I felt the price was more than fair, actually. Unlike some that are complaining about $150 being excessive for a key, that seems like a drop in the bucket when coming from German car keys.. BMW keys can be 300-400 even 500 dollars, depending on the dealer and the state you are in, and then they want to charge dealer programing for it.

So, $150 for the "life of the car" or "life of the keyfob" which I expect the keyfob to last at least 5-6 years unless I drop it and step on it or something, seems like a small price to pay. All money "worth" is relative though.

Makes sense. I valet'd my other car this past weekend and was wondering how awkward it was for the Model 3 owner that I saw parked out front.

As for the cost, I agree with you, it's not all that much. Maybe I should purchase one just as a backup / valet / service tool.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I am on a business trip atm but took a pic just now of my BMW key and Tesla key (with the keyfob holder I mentioned earlier in the thread) together.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5396.JPG
    IMG_5396.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 43
With all the talk about how prestigious the key fob looks I may just have to get one. This way I can take it out of my pocket and wave it around when I am out places so everyone can be impressed. Maybe I'll keep using my phone as a key, as unimpressive as that is. And I won't even put a battery in the fob in case any of the impressed people try and steal it...

I mainly use the key fob for easy access to the frunk/trunk. Avoids having to whip out the phone. I can't say that's worth the $150 but it is convenient.

Now that we have a "Pin to Drive" option, maybe we'll get passive entry added as an option?

With all the talk about how prestigious the key fob looks I may just have to get one. This way I can take it out of my pocket and wave it around when I am out places so everyone can be impressed. Maybe I'll keep using my phone as a key, as unimpressive as that is. And I won't even put a battery in the fob in case any of the impressed people try and steal it...

Make sure you take your phone out of your pocket and wave your phone as you are approaching your car.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin