Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 performance order placed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1 week ago I said I’d never have one. Tuesday test drive, ordered.
Epic motor.
Ordered Blue with black/white interior performance. Due in 3 months.
Any recommendations for upgrades? I will be de-chroming in satin black to match wheels and light smoke tint on windows.
Also having new paint correction and ceramic paint protection added.
Doesn’t seem to be much else about and I’m 40 with two kids so the full Vorsteiner seems extreme!!

Cant give you to many tips on upgrades, although I have got the centre console wrap from Abstract Ocean as the standard piano black is apparently a) not that good, and b) easy to scratch. I have a small dachshund who would make mincemeat of such a finish, so I'm covering it up on day.one.

Regarding Ceramic Paint protection. I had my Audi ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum. A separate coat of EXO kept it super shiny and hydrophobic. Three years later it still looked like new despite never ever receiving a coat of wax, or indeed anything beyond detergent and a rinse.

Fantastic stuff, can't recommend it enough, and I'd definitely get it again for the model 3 if it were actually mine (it's leased). Can also recommend the C5 wheel treatment to keep brake dust from eating your wheels and the G5 glass treatment. It's like RainX, but 1000x better. You simply don't need windscreen wipers anymore.

The photo below shows the first wash in at least 4 months on a 3-year-old car. No wax or polish (ever), just a jetwash, snow foam, detergent and hot water. Dirt just falls off it.

IMG_6711.JPG

Reactions: Roy W. and Latibes

hehehe ... you missed the bit where a mate should have told you that "Test drive" = "Slippery slope" :)

Any recommendations for upgrades?

These might not be have been on your initial list ... but ...

There is chatter that soft paint on sills can be damaged (winter grit etc.) so you may want to consider front mud flaps and PPF wrap for the bottom sills (Tesla has released a corrective Winter Pack in Canada for those bits, that might become available in UK soon).

The Model-3 is not as quiet as the Model-S, so if you fancy ultra-quiet cabin then that might be worth considering. Life in an EV is different to ICE in that regard. Enjoyment of music and just general "personal karma" is enhanced by the quiet, and every bit of extraneous noise is what you actually wind up hearing, hence you might find you want to put some effort into that.

I don't know what peoples opinion of Tesla's Sentry Mode compared to a Dashcam. Sentry Mode uses a lot of juice (relatively speaking) so no good when parked at airport for long period, or if on a range challenged journey. By comparison Dashcam runs on almost-nothing.

You'll need decent (otherwise it will die quickly in harsh car climate) USB storage for SentryMode. leave a bit in the budget for APPs too (once you have the car) to log data / schedule it to be ready for you, and so on. "Alexa: Warm the car" ... proper first world problem ...

Worth having a look at Abstract Ocean. They have a number of interesting bits - everything from badge variations and logo puddle-lights to ... "Vote Musk" bumper stickers!

You may find that wrap for central console is essential to avoid scratches and finger prints. Screen protector too perhaps.

I've had my Model-Ss PPF wrapped. Returned the first one after nearly 4 years and 100,000 miles and it looked as good as new - my cars almost never get washed, so for me the PPF is definitely a boon, and I have zero worries about snuggling up to a countryside hedge etc. Expensive compared to Ceramic though ... and relative to Model-3 vs Model-S price PPF probably seems expensive on Model-3. You could wrap with a unique / distinctive colour though (and just buy White and save a £grand on special paint choice (I've seen the Blue, M3, it does look good ...)

hehehe ... you missed the bit where a mate should have told you that "Test drive" = "Slippery slope" :)

There is chatter that soft paint on sills can be damaged (winter grit etc.) so you may want to consider front mud flaps and PPF wrap for the bottom sills (Tesla has released a corrective Winter Pack in Canada for those bits, that might become available in UK soon).

The Model-3 is not as quiet as the Model-S, so if you fancy ultra-quiet cabin then that might be worth considering. Life in an EV is different to ICE in that regard. Enjoyment of music and just general "personal karma" is enhanced by the quiet, and every bit of extraneous noise is what you actually wind up hearing, hence you might find you want to put some effort into that.

I don't know what peoples opinion of Tesla's Sentry Mode compared to a Dashcam. Sentry Mode uses a lot of juice (relatively speaking) so no good when parked at airport for long period, or if on a range challenged journey. By comparison Dashcam runs on almost-nothing.

You'll need decent (otherwise it will die quickly in harsh car climate) USB storage for SentryMode. leave a bit in the budget for APPs too (once you have the car) to log data / schedule it to be ready for you, and so on. "Alexa: Warm the car" ... proper first world problem ...

Worth having a look at Abstract Ocean. They have a number of interesting bits - everything from badge variations and logo puddle-lights to ... "Vote Musk" bumper stickers!

You may find that wrap for central console is essential to avoid scratches and finger prints. Screen protector too perhaps.

I've had my Model-Ss PPF wrapped. Returned the first one after nearly 4 years and 100,000 miles and it looked as good as new - my cars almost never get washed, so for me the PPF is definitely a boon, and I have zero worries about snuggling up to a countryside hedge etc. Expensive compared to Ceramic though ... and relative to Model-3 vs Model-S price PPF probably seems expensive on Model-3. You could wrap with a unique / distinctive colour though (and just buy White and save a £grand on special paint choice (I've seen the Blue, M3, it does look good ...)

Second shout out for Abstract Ocean; great products, solid quality and great customer service...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
And a third shout for Abstract Ocean!

First of all I fitted a console wrap from TapTes, but that was rubbish. That came off and on went a carbon fibre finish wrap from AO. Perfection! Definitely worth the extra cost.

Here’s a photo of the AO wrap fitted:

UK accessories for RHD Model 3

If you decide to order from AO send me a PM and I can send you a code for $10 off your first order :)

Last edited:
Cant give you to many tips on upgrades, although I have got the centre console wrap from Abstract Ocean as the standard piano black is apparently a) not that good, and b) easy to scratch. I have a small dachshund who would make mincemeat of such a finish, so I'm covering it up on day.one.

Regarding Ceramic Paint protection. I had my Audi ceramic coated with Gtechniq Crystal Serum. A separate coat of EXO kept it super shiny and hydrophobic. Three years later it still looked like new despite never ever receiving a coat of wax, or indeed anything beyond detergent and a rinse.

Fantastic stuff, can't recommend it enough, and I'd definitely get it again for the model 3 if it were actually mine (it's leased). Can also recommend the C5 wheel treatment to keep brake dust from eating your wheels and the G5 glass treatment. It's like RainX, but 1000x better. You simply don't need windscreen wipers anymore.

The photo below shows the first wash in at least 4 months on a 3-year-old car. No wax or polish (ever), just a jetwash, snow foam, detergent and hot water. Dirt just falls off it.

View attachment 480206
Thanks for the advice, that car looks mint!!! I will speak to the Gtec guy about the other products!

And a third shout for Abstract Ocean!

First of all I fitted a console wrap from TapTes, but that was rubbish. That came off and on went a carbon fibre finish wrap from AO. Perfection! Definitely worth the extra cost.

Here’s a photo of the AO wrap fitted:

UK accessories for RHD Model 3

If you decide to order from AO send me a PM and I can send you a code for $10 off your first order :)
Thanks - There are several bits on there I would ilke to order so I will have a proper look and come back to you for the voucher!

Reactions: Roy W.

Thanks! Abstract Ocean looks like Aladdins cave!
I haven't heard of Sentry yet so will have a look in to it on here, like I said - just over a week ago I was trying to talk a friend out of ordering a Model 3, now I cant wait to receive mine!!
Have you got any further tips on the noise reduction? I did notice driver door wind noise at speed so any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks! Abstract Ocean looks like Aladdins cave!
I haven't heard of Sentry yet so will have a look in to it on here, like I said - just over a week ago I was trying to talk a friend out of ordering a Model 3, now I cant wait to receive mine!!
Have you got any further tips on the noise reduction? I did notice driver door wind noise at speed so any tips will be appreciated.
You’ll certainly find that there’s lots of opportunities to spend your money on M3 accessories! I’ve never bought so much stuff for any car before...

On the subject of wind noise, I’ve never found it too bad. About the only thing you can do is add extra door seals to all the doors. There are a few videos on YouTube showing this, like this one:

Epic motor.
Ordered Blue with black/white interior performance. Due in 3 months.
Any recommendations for upgrades? I will be de-chroming in satin black to match wheels and light smoke tint on windows.
Also having new paint correction and ceramic paint protection added.
Doesn’t seem to be much else about and I’m 40 with two kids so the full Vorsteiner seems extreme!!

If you don't want to wait three month, this spec is on the Existing Inventory page, give them a call and claim it.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/new/5YJ3F7EC4LF595061?redirect=no

I used Abstract Oceans centre console wrap but found the width to be very tight and wasn’t that happy with the tuck down at the edges. It’s on but I feel that the summer heat may affect it and produce an edge. I did buy mine quite a while back, long before I had the car, so maybe they’ve improved the fit now.

I used Abstract Oceans centre console wrap but found the width to be very tight and wasn’t that happy with the tuck down at the edges. It’s on but I feel that the summer heat may affect it and produce an edge. I did buy mine quite a while back, long before I had the car, so maybe they’ve improved the fit now.

hmmm. does not sound right. The wrap width vs the console does depend on how forward and back you place some of the pieces because they are not parallel sided. Cup holder piece might need tucking under the console finish piece, but you should be able to get a decent match on the other pieces. The only tuck down was the cup holder, (agree, will need to keep an eye on), and front/back edges of the tilting pieces - enough overlap so would be surprised if they became an issue.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Reactions: Durzel and Roy W.