Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 recalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s all 2014 to 2021 model S as well. Apparently opening and closing the boot can damage the cable harness to the rear view camera. I’ve not heard about a recall in the UK, but it doesn’t sound like it would be a safety recall, so would be down to Tesla whether they wanted to do a recall outside the US.

It’s all 2014 to 2021 model S as well. Apparently opening and closing the boot can damage the cable harness to the rear view camera. I’ve not heard about a recall in the UK, but it doesn’t sound like it would be a safety recall, so would be down to Tesla whether they wanted to do a recall outside the US.
Rear view camera IS a safety issue.

You can check if your Tesla needs a recall on their website: Tesla Service
I checked the VIN of my August 2019 M3P and it's covered by the recall - it says:

Description:
The Model 3 trunk harness is equipped with a solid core coaxial cable that provides the rearview camera feed for visibility on the center display. Over time, repeated opening and closing of the trunk lid may cause excessive wear to the coaxial cable. If the wear causes the core of the coaxial cable to separate, the rearview camera feed is not visible on the center display.

Safety Risk:
Unavailability of the rearview camera display may affect the driver’s rear view and increase the risk of a collision. If there is a loss of rearview camera display, the driver can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors when backing.

Remedy:
Tesla Service will inspect the trunk harness on affected vehicles for wear. If wear is determined to be within specifications for the coaxial cable, Tesla Service will equip the harness with a guide protector to ensure a sufficient radius when the harness holds in a closed trunk state and prevent further wear. If wear is determined to be beyond the specifications for the coaxial cable, Tesla Service will install a new harness and guide protector.

Tesla is recalling almost half a million of its Model 3 and Model S vehicles, citing two separate technical defects that could increase the risk of accidents. In a report filed December 21 with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, found by Barron’s, the automaker said the issues affect all Model 3s made between 2017 and 2021 and certain Model Ss made between 2014 and 2021. It says opening and closing the Model 3’s trunk can damage the rear-view camera cable harness, preventing the camera from being able to display images. In Model Ss, meanwhile, a potentially faulty latch could cause the vehicle’s front hood to open all by itself.

I could be wrong my guess is the exposed coaxial in question is the one leading into the purple-ish connector below:

1640905616386.png

Likely that it can catch against the sharp edges and separate at some point.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
I think you are confusing the suspension recall and I think most of this thread is about the latest US recall which affects 475,000 cars. A fair bit more than 1% ;) Tesla to recall 475,000 cars in the US
No, it was this thread:

and this post:
The Recall Notice seems to suggest that only 1% of Cars may be impacted but all the Media Headlines say 'Tesla recalls almost 500,000 Cars' I suppose we should be used to this kind of thing by now.
In fact, the news item you posted said this:
A safety report, submitted this month, estimates that around 1% of recalled Model 3s may have a defective rear-view camera.

Reactions: CaptUAL