Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spotted this on the Tesla website (sorry if already posted):

upload_2020-11-5_11-22-8.png

Looks like the the refreshed models benefit from efficiencies that the older models don't/can't.

There are also still quite a few 'new' 2020 models in inventory.

Last edited:
The WLTP range tests do not take account of heating and cooling ... if they did it would have to be quoted as a range at a particular temperature. IMO the improved range is therefore unlikely to be related to any efficiencies gained by the heat pump.
WLTP protocol has a defined temperature for the test. For Europe I think it’s 14C. The M3 shares/moves heat between systems (cabin, motor, battery etc) using coolant and I think the car isn’t charged immediately prior to the test- so quite possible heat pump will impact on the result.

There’s also a rumour of increased battery density.

There’s also a rumour of increased battery density.

Which is my own bet for the primary reason for the range increase. There may well be a temperature standard for the environment but the HVAC won't be used to maintain a specific higher or lower temperature in the cabin ... but as you say it will play some role in the general management of temperature of the battery so there may be an effect. It would be interesting to get information from Tesla occasionally on these kind of things!

To check my understanding...

So for WLTP, the external temperature is 14C and so no use is made of AC or heating? Hence the heat pump can't have made a difference for the range? Interesting.

To check my understanding...

So for WLTP, the external temperature is 14C and so no use is made of AC or heating? Hence the heat pump can't have made a difference for the range? Interesting.

Thats pretty much the consensus from what I read anyway. Until we have a WLTP standards expert available that’s a reasonable supposition. And only Tesla knows if there is benefit to range through temperature management of battery and motor... and they don’t tell us!

Reactions: Irata
Model S and X have had a bump in range recently as well and as far as I know nothing has changed with them in terms of heat pump etc, so logically it would have to be something else, and something that is not unique to one model. The smart money would therefore be on something like battery density, as said above.

Reactions: Adopado
With the refreshed centre console we obviously get the wireless charging but I haven't seen any mention or photos of whether it still takes the USB-C leads so you can just slide your phone onto the plug. Anyone know?

With the refreshed centre console we obviously get the wireless charging but I haven't seen any mention or photos of whether it still takes the USB-C leads so you can just slide your phone onto the plug. Anyone know?
The parts catalog and videos previously shown suggest that the console goes over the top of the induction mat, and there's no indication at all that there are holes or whatever for cables to go through (see 4 and 13 in the image below)

Screenshot 2020-11-06 121747.png

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
The parts catalog and videos previously shown suggest that the console goes over the top of the induction mat, and there's no indication at all that there are holes or whatever for cables to go through (see 4 and 13 in the image below)

Yeah that's what I've been thinking. Not everybody has a wireless charging phone so there must be something we're missing. Fingers crossed anyway.

Looks like there are 2 USB C sockets in the cubby hole under the sliding door.

Images from the updated manual here:

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1324842122193809409?s=19

Suspect you'll need to run a cable from there if no wireless charging which is a bit crap as you'll run a cable up and out of the cubby hole, across the length of the sliding door to your phone that's resting in the wireless charger.