Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ Public Charging Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdo,

I'm planning a road trip to the Highlands, when I get my M3SR+, and I've been using Zap-Map to locate public charging points. I can't figure out how long it will take me to charge the car at each charge point though?

In Scotland, we seem to have many fast chargers which I think are 43kW or 50 kW (?) how long would a charge from 20% > 80/90% take?

Should I avoid 7kW / 22kW chargers if I'm short on time? Say I only have 30 mins to stop. How much charge would I get in that time.

Is a 3 pin domestic charge too slow?

I've seen plenty of websites giving varied info. Looking for some real world experience from M3 drivers if possible or point me to a thread / site with reliable info.

Thanks all.

I've found I get 35-45kW from those CPS fast chargers, not sure if it's a battery temperature thing but I think it's the chargers. The older ones just never seem to put out 50kW regardless of my SoC or temperature. Bank on an hour to rapid charge 20-80%, maybe 5-10 mins longer if you have one of the slower ones that only seem to put out about 35kW. In practice I find the car chargers quicker than I can take a comfort break and have coffee/lunch etc.

Make sure you have the CPS RFID card for travelling in the Highlands where 3G/4G coverage might not be the best. £20 well spent.

Reactions: Roy W. and Aye_Watt
20 - 80 i would say around 40mins

That is what i usually charge from and to once a week at a 50kw charger - usual speed is really around 41kw at these chargers

Below is a Charge last week but this was from 28% to 90% (After 80% it tails off - yellow line below)
Charge speed.JPG

Reactions: Aye_Watt
We did a trip to Skye last summer in the Kona, so used many of the CPS rapids. I don’t think I ever got more than 43kW, and the worst one I remember consistently gave only 18kW, but that must have been a bit faulty. Most worked at around 40kW.

So, depending on the charger, I reckon you’re looking at 45ish minutes to go from 20% to 80%.

Plus one for getting the RFID card, mobile signals are quite iffy up there. £20 well spent, although I can’t see for the life of me why it’s an annual charge!

Howdo,

I'm planning a road trip to the Highlands, when I get my M3SR+, and I've been using Zap-Map to locate public charging points. I can't figure out how long it will take me to charge the car at each charge point though?

In Scotland, we seem to have many fast chargers which I think are 43kW or 50 kW (?) how long would a charge from 20% > 80/90% take?

Should I avoid 7kW / 22kW chargers if I'm short on time? Say I only have 30 mins to stop. How much charge would I get in that time.

Is a 3 pin domestic charge too slow?

I've seen plenty of websites giving varied info. Looking for some real world experience from M3 drivers if possible or point me to a thread / site with reliable info.

Thanks all.
Defo try to use the CCS Fast Chargers and try to arrive with a warm Battery and you should get close to 200 M/H Charging, the 22KW's will do 50 M/H the 7KW's 30 M/H the 3 Pin is a strictly overnight thing but can still be useful at 10 M/H.

Reactions: Aye_Watt
I use a network of 50kW CCS chargers (Engie network) 2-3 times a week for my SR+ and I have never recieved over 45kW at any one point and more often or not its arround the 35 mark.

This is my last 10 charges (not at the same charge point)
upload_2020-2-11_21-14-25.png

Reactions: Roy W.