Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 trailer experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I intend to use my M3 with a small camping trailer for both local and vacation use. I would be interested in hearing any real-life experiences of other M3 owners who have been towing small trailers, for example:
  • Noise
  • Stability
  • Impact on range
  • Impact on performance
Evidence rather than conjecture, please.
I have a 3 with a stealth hitch. No problems at all towing a dinghy yacht (4.2 m sabre) except range is drastically reduced by about 40% at 100kmh. I also tow speedboat and club safety boat which are much heavier, but which I only tow a few hundred yards (metres). ..Has been good for bike rack too. No strain at the boat ramp. No speed nor power issues ( although am very gentle with larger boat)

Attachments

• 20210418_163421.jpg
    20210418_163421.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 42
Also tow a small dinghy (much smaller than snowgums), and it sits super comfortable behind the car. The car is heavy so its really stable.
received_1182854448857059.jpeg

The boat is pretty aero dynamic and tucks in nicely, so I get a decent w/m of about 300ish.

I think the aerodynamics of the trailer are what really matter so far as consumption is concerned. Glider trailers and dingys are fairly streamlined and fit to some degree within the slipstream of the car. I think a caravan or large box trailer would be a different story altogether.

I went to that web site in the background of your pic (saveusnow.org.uk). It’s hilarious ! :)
I only noticed the terrible ad when I went to upload the pic. It was just a quick snap mid conversation with a friend and obviously i didn't pay any attention to to the background :D. Unfortunately conspiracy idiots boil my blood, so I've resisted visiting to see the stupidity.