Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3OC's In-Depth Look Video (1:10hr long, very thorough)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you very much for linking that video. This is by far the best and most in-detail I´ve seen so far.

The more I see of the interior though the more I hope the classic manufacturers hurry up with their EVs. Seriously an LR+PuP version will cost as much as an entry-level e-class or a packed c-class here in europe, let alone awd or P versions.....and the model 3 interior is several leagues below that in every aspect.....

Guess you will pay mainly for the power train in the EV world for another gen or two.....

Tesla doesn't have a choice. It had to come up with a production model fast to get wall street and main street gung ho on its stock price and it did help with the secondary offering and the debt raising.

I wouldn't fault the board to take a little short cut here and there as long as 90% of a cars functionality is present and a few features offered that the incumbents don't. It is sure taking Tesla a lot longer to convert parts into driveable vehicles.

The more choice the better for sure. I'm only going with LR and AWD if I decide on the M3. Like you said, it's really just the battery technology and union that are hindrances for the European car makers to fully adopt BEVs. Barring those those two, why wouldn't they crank up BEV production if margins going to be all that great with a battery versus the engine/transmission. Warranty work on engines and transmissions will no longer be an issue.

Heck, Toyota's solid state battery might even be at the forefront now as per insideevs article today.

If Telsa does pull through with a reliable vehicle and good enough ESA, I may still go for it but I'm skipping PUP because the car can get mighty expensive. X3 in 2020. :)

That model in the video is easily in lower e class territory.....
Examples for me: the incredibly clunky and plain plastic rear vents, the whole "wood sticker" on the dash just looks (and is) incredibly cheap, the whole mid console where everything below the incredibly plain surface looks like straight out of of a do-it-yopurself-shop, the buttons like they`re taken straight out of some entry level car, the chubby plastic look of the steering wheel and its buttons again without any highlights or refinement, the fit seems off on some parts...etc etc etc.

In US, Model 3 starting price is $35000 that is equal to base BMW 320i and A4, Pricing with options on all these car are also close; similar in size too. So I would not compare 3 to the base E class which start at $52k in US.

And I believe the "wood sticker" IS real wood.

Again I do think the design seem too plain and I do agree the steering doesn't look good. But compare material to 3 series A4 C-class I don't think it is too far off.

By the way I just sign up here today and I am no Tesla fanboy, never interested in Tesla until Model 3 and currently own E84 X1 (speaking of cheap interior!!!)

Seeing as TSportline already has a set of wheels on a car, I would trust their measurement. I have not watched the video yet, but had to be off somehow.

Unless the measure device is off it does look like 5x115. I do wish it's 5x114.3, much more choices.

tesla.jpg

In US, Model 3 starting price is $35000 that is equal to base BMW 320i and A4,
The car in the vid is lr + pup. With lr, pup and taxes alone that car is at least 50-55k € in europe! If you take eap and fsd it might even cross the 70k.....
This car doesn`t cost 35k us dollar ANYWHERE on the world, and never will.

I
And I believe the "wood sticker" IS real wood.
Only 1-2 milimeters of it, and that`s visible.......that`s not how it`s supposed to be done.

Again I do think the design seem too plain and I do agree the steering doesn't look good. But compare material to 3 series A4 C-class I don't think it is too far off.
I think it is for the reasons I listed :/ and since that version is in lower e class territory already the comparison gets even worse.....

Last edited:
It is a wood veneer, and that is pretty much how any wood in any car is.
That´s only partially correct. Sometimes yes, sometimes it`s sealed plywood. When it`s done well you don`t see the difference and that in the 3 really looks like a sticker and just overall not well made to my personal taste.
Anyways, kinda comes down to taste, tolerance and what kind of car you come from.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
The car in the vid is lr + pup. With lr, pup and taxes alone that car is at least 50-55k € in europe! If you take eap and fsd it might even cross the 70k.....
This car doesn`t cost 35k us dollar ANYWHERE on the world, and never will.

European pricing is not the same to US pricing so hard to compare. And I didn't said $35k on the car they reviewed I said Model 3 starting at $35k in US which is the same as base 320 and A4, In US we may also getting $7500 tax incentive plus other incentive depend on where you live.

In my option Tesla is targeting entry level luxury vehicle within US market and for this class it compare well enough. If this sell as much as a well equip E-class in Europe then yes it is too expensive. Also I don't like Elon claim this is an affordable car; it is not to most people!

Great video. Very informative. They answered my two biggest questions: can you have the defrost, vent and floor vents on at the same time (or different variations) and information about the rear heated seats. No one has talked about these yet, thanks. I noticed one thing though, do the seats, steering wheel and side mirrors have a memory setting for different drivers?

European pricing is not the same to US pricing so hard to compare. And I didn't said $35k on the car they reviewed I said Model 3 starting at $35k in US which is the same as base 320 and A4, In US we may also getting $7500 tax incentive plus other incentive depend on where you live.

In my option Tesla is targeting entry level luxury vehicle within US market and for this class it compare well enough. If this sell as much as a well equip E-class in Europe then yes it is too expensive. Also I don't like Elon claim this is an affordable car; it is not to most people!

Eh...

Average new car price in the States is $34K.

For early adopters, tax credits will average $10K.

For those thereafter who are price sensitive, relief will be at hand in the form of used Model 3s, which will be available in the $25K -$30K range with great rapidity.

In a few years, the majority of those who want a Model 3 will be able to have one.

Recall as well that in much of the continent, the monthly payment will be less than what the owners previously spent for gas, oil, and routine maintenance for components not present within an EV.

From a TCO perspective, the Model 3 will fare as well or better than the targeted competition (3-series, A4, and even mid-range Hondas).

Great video. Very informative. They answered my two biggest questions: can you have the defrost, vent and floor vents on at the same time (or different variations) and information about the rear heated seats. No one has talked about these yet, thanks. I noticed one thing though, do the seats, steering wheel and side mirrors have a memory setting for different drivers?

That's what this button at the top of the touchscreen is for (they clearly had it set up, although they didn't demonstrate it). I assume it controls all three things.

name.png

Reactions: internalaudit
what price class are you talking about? That model in the video is easily in lower e class territory.....
Examples for me: the incredibly clunky and plain plastic rear vents, the whole "wood sticker" on the dash just looks (and is) incredibly cheap, the whole mid console where everything below the incredibly plain surface looks like straight out of of a do-it-yopurself-shop, the buttons like they`re taken straight out of some entry level car, the chubby plastic look of the steering wheel and its buttons again without any highlights or refinement, the fit seems off on some parts...etc etc etc.

Overall the interior just looks like how to describe it...like they built an entry level car and then slapped some "premium" materials on it to cover it up.
The outside design is really great, but the interior just looks somewhat half finished to me.

That´s just my personal impression, but I´m sure I´ll be getting crucified either way...it is a Tesla forum after all :D
The wood "decal" is pretty cheesy. It looks better than the "woodgrain" appliques that were popular in the 70's but it's in the same peel-away ballpark. OTH, the zebrano on my old E-wagon was polished to a plastic gloss and looked fake, even though it was real wood.
Nobody's perfect. When the Europeans (finally) do a real, long range EV the interior will be nicer. But what will it sell for?
Robin

Reactions: dragonxt
I wonder if the measuring device wasn't exactly in the center of the lug nuts, possible strange angle, etc., and it is 114.3. Its only .7mm off, which could be device error, etc.
They did not center the tool properly. Wheel bolt circle is 4.5"/114.3 mm - bank on it.
It's Frunk 'N Trunk from the T-Shirt forum, they did the best they could, give'em a break. One of them couldn't figure out how to use the roller balls to adjust the steering wheel even after it was explained to him. First time they drove the car and like me, it takes some time to learn how to drive the future and all of its features. I just wouldn't be driving on a public road while I was educating myself though!. I wish they would have done a little better prep before shooting the video. Still, a very detailed review and a lot of useful information in spite of themselves.

Thank you very much for linking that video. This is by far the best and most in-detail I´ve seen so far.

The more I see of the interior though the more I hope the classic manufacturers hurry up with their EVs. Seriously an LR+PuP version will cost as much as an entry-level e-class or a packed c-class here in europe, let alone awd or P versions.....and the model 3 interior is several leagues below that in every aspect.....

Guess you will pay mainly for the power train in the EV world for another gen or two.....
I thought the same thing initially, but after watching the video I think I'm conflating more buttons/dials/chrome trim with "premium", which in retrospect is probably just me being trained to think more crap = higher end and less crap = lower end, something I should reconsider.

4i1s03k.jpg

The seats/doors/interior materials remind me of my wife's Audi A3, which seems to be regarded as high end. I won't have any definite feels until I can actually sit in it/drive it/etc, but nothing I've seen in the video suggest to me the interior is a class below other comparable luxury cars.