Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P+ Close But Not Quite There for Track/Performance Use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It already has Brembo brakes doesn’t it? Needs carbon ceramic brakes. The Alfa has optional carbon ceramic brakes which you can beat on lap after lap. I’m sure Tesla could sell a $10k P++ package.

You are correct P3D already has Brembo brakes. I definitely think Tesla should come out with a P++ package so they can call them OEM's. Some people out there are whining that Tesla changed out the tires and brake pads from stock lol.

Race pads probably only improve consistency and how many laps you can do before the brakes fade. They’re no going to make much difference in the fastest possible time.

It already has Brembo brakes doesn’t it? Needs carbon ceramic brakes. The Alfa has optional carbon ceramic brakes which you can beat on lap after lap. I’m sure Tesla could sell a $10k P++ package.
You mean carbon ceramics to keep callipers and swap disks for iron? This assuming regular brembos don't have enough termal capacity? I think it's similar in the price (maybe more cost effective!) with big brake kits from heavyweights of the industry
I know people that have done that, but I don't know anyone consistently going to track that uses carbon ceramics. Up to few days a year may be ok though...

You are correct P3D already has Brembo brakes. I definitely think Tesla should come out with a P++ package so they can call them OEM's. Some people out there are whining that Tesla changed out the tires and brake pads from stock lol.
Yeah, I think those complaints are stupid. Swapping tires or friggin break pads is not a "modification". You may as well claim that unless the Alfa runs 89 octane that is a modification as well.

Ideally, you'd have the same tires on all the cars to take that factor out of the equation. Tires certainly can have a dramatic effect on lap times.

Agreed, I think tires are absolutely a mod. At the very minimum use the same treadwear tires for each car. In this case I believe the tread wear are at least very close but I haven't compared numbers. But very simply you cant put Tread wear 60 race tires next to any real street tire and compare results.

Agreed, I think tires are absolutely a mod. At the very minimum use the same treadwear tires for each car. In this case I believe the tread wear are at least very close but I haven't compared numbers. But very simply you cant put Tread wear 60 race tires next to any real street tire and compare results.
Are the tires they placed on the M3 that stickier than the Alfa's? They are pretty similar no?

Alfa uses 60 treadwear tires, extra sticky & wider (285/30ZR19 93Y Pirelli P Zero Corsa AR Asimmetrico). This is why it was quite an unfair comparison during their first test review when P3D used stock 300 treadwear tires (235/35R20 92Y Michelin Pilot Sport 4S).

This new test they used 180 treadwear tires for P3D, 10mm wider than stock. So whiles yes it's considered a "mod", it's simply to bring the comparison closer to what Alfa equip as stock. In doing so they improved the time by 2.41 seconds, and beat Alfa by 1.29 seconds. That's quite a lot when driven by Randy Pobst.

You mean carbon ceramics to keep callipers and swap disks for iron? This assuming regular brembos don't have enough termal capacity? I think it's similar in the price (maybe more cost effective!) with big brake kits from heavyweights of the industry
I know people that have done that, but I don't know anyone consistently going to track that uses carbon ceramics. Up to few days a year may be ok though...
Yeah I guess for bench racing and magazine tests it needs carbon ceramic brakes. For people who actually track it and don’t want to go broke iron rotors are the way to go.

Treadwear ratings aren’t standardized at all. It sounds like the 60TW tires are pretty comparable to the 180TW tires that Tesla used for this test. Pilot Cup tires are what come on the BMW M3 competition package. I bet a bunch of the 200TW “cheater” tires are actually stickier though even less practical for street use in terms of noise and ride quality.
It will be interesting to see how competitive the Model 3 is at faster track where it’s going to suffer more high RPM horsepower loss.

Alfa uses 60 treadwear tires, extra sticky & wider (285/30ZR19 93Y Pirelli P Zero Corsa AR Asimmetrico). This is why it was quite an unfair comparison during their first test review when P3D used stock 300 treadwear tires (235/35R20 92Y Michelin Pilot Sport 4S).

This new test they used 180 treadwear tires for P3D, 10mm wider than stock. So whiles yes it's considered a "mod", it's simply to bring the comparison closer to what Alfa equip as stock. In doing so they improved the time by 2.41 seconds, and beat Alfa by 1.29 seconds. That's quite a lot when driven by Randy Pobst.

Wow, holy treadwear batman! I didnt realize that the Alpha was wearing a MUCH stickier tire treadwear 60 vs 180. @Daniel in SD where did you get the data that the Pilot Cup sports are similar stickiness to the P Zero Corsa AR Asymmetrico?

Wow, holy treadwear batman! I didnt realize that the Alpha was wearing a MUCH stickier tire treadwear 60 vs 180. @Daniel in SD where did you get the data that the Pilot Cup sports are similar stickiness to the P Zero Corsa AR Asymmetrico?
Just from the real world tread life people report getting with them, about 10k miles. There's no actual standard for measuring treadwear. Supposedly the numbers are comparable within a manufacturer's line.