Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Doesn't Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes (generally when i'm showing someone how fast this thing is :rolleyes:) from a dead stop - floor the accelerator and it will take off slowly and then after a second or two it accelerates as normal. Stop and try again and it will either do the same thing or take off like a rocket as it should. It's inconsistent.

Any ideas why?

Sometimes (generally when i'm showing someone how fast this thing is :rolleyes:) from a dead stop - floor the accelerator and it will take off slowly and then after a second or two it accelerates as normal. Stop and try again and it will either do the same thing or take off like a rocket as it should. It's inconsistent.

Any ideas why?
“Obstacle aware acceleration” is likely enabled. (it is by default)

Regardless, the M3P is more impressive from a 10mph roll than from a dead stop…

Nah, this happens to me occasionally, including today and and OAA is off. It seems to be whenever the a/c is either kicking on or after I turn it off. It basically feels like the car is in chill mode for the first 5-10 mph then it goes back into Sport with full power.

Do you have Sport mode enabled.
Yes it's enabled.

I would probably schedule a service appointment. If the road traction is the same but it's inconsistent, something is wrong with the vehicle. Was it like this when you first bought it?
Don't think it was like this until first update..

“Obstacle aware acceleration” is likely enabled. (it is by default)

Regardless, the M3P is more impressive from a 10mph roll than from a dead stop…
Will disable this...

Nah, this happens to me occasionally, including today and and OAA is off. It seems to be whenever the a/c is either kicking on or after I turn it off. It basically feels like the car is in chill mode for the first 5-10 mph then it goes back into Sport with full power.
Yep, this describes my experience...

It turning off obstacle aware acceleration doesn't help, I am on a LR RWD so it is a slightly different scenario but on my summer tires on a cool morning (say 7-10C) and I "floor it" I often lose traction momentarily, the traction control kicks in and nerfs the power for perhaps 2 seconds before it "floors it" again and takes off.

Once the tires are warmed up or the temperature is warmer this becomes less an issue.

The work around I have for this is to enable slip start, which allows the tires to spin. Since you are on a performance I don't know if you have this option (or if sport mode allows the slip).

Reactions: Korchva
It turning off obstacle aware acceleration doesn't help, I am on a LR RWD so it is a slightly different scenario but on my summer tires on a cool morning (say 7-10C) and I "floor it" I often lose traction momentarily, the traction control kicks in and nerfs the power for perhaps 2 seconds before it "floors it" again and takes off.

Once the tires are warmed up or the temperature is warmer this becomes less an issue.

The work around I have for this is to enable slip start, which allows the tires to spin. Since you are on a performance I don't know if you have this option (or if sport mode allows the slip).
Looks like you are in Niagara (Canada side or US side?) I am planning a trip there this summer. We will be staying at Hampton Inn by Hilton St. Catharines Niagara. Any experience on that hotel/inn? Also, is supercharging available near by?

Looks like you are in Niagara (Canada side or US side?) I am planning a trip there this summer. We will be staying at Hampton Inn by Hilton St. Catharines Niagara. Any experience on that hotel/inn? Also, is supercharging available near by?

Yes Canada side.

Supercharger are no problem there is a 250KW charger in Niagara Falls right off the highway about 9 miles away. There are also superchargers in the "golden horseshoe", in case you are making a trip to Toronto and need a top up, although you could easily make that trip from your hotel without one.

I don't know anything specific about that hotel, but at a glance it seems like a good one. It is located centrally in the region near the main highway. It is supposed to have EV charging so inquire about that when you check in, you might be able to get away with minimal supercharging once you get here.

If you have any specific questions about the area free free to send me a message and I will try to help you out.

@nate704 - born and raised in Niagara Falls, NY. The falls is great, but the city is a dump (U.S. side).

If spending any time on the U.S. side, don't leave valuables visible in the car and practice situational awareness. Not trying to fear monger, most people don't have any problems. But just like being in NYC, there's enough riff raff around that it's better to be safe than sorry.

@nate704 - born and raised in Niagara Falls, NY. The falls is great, but the city is a dump (U.S. side).

If spending any time on the U.S. side, don't leave valuables visible in the car and practice situational awareness. Not trying to fear monger, most people don't have any problems. But just like being in NYC, there's enough riff raff around that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Haha...he needs to put all valuables in the frunk and leave the rear seats down to show crooks that there is nothing in the trunk to take.

This happens to me as well. But not when flooring it, to have traction issues. Sometimes when I press the "gas", for something like half a second it won`t accelerate, like a hiccup, then it starts going, instead of the usual instant go...is it an issue? Tesla service is 300 miles away.

I had this happen once or twice at the beginning of my ownership. I posted about it here (thread was called something like "accelerator out to lunch?") and got a DM from a Tesla employee asking for my VIN and an approximate timestamp of the event, which I provided. Never happened again. I take the correspondence to imply that this was not normal. Can't know for sure though.

I've experienced this before as well when doing back to back to back 0-60 pulls. Odd... OAA was on by default as mentioned. I can't imagine it was due to anything related to battery temp causing it to cut power? Interesting for sure... would be unfortunate for it to happen at the drag strip. Yikes.