Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P FANTASTIC in the Snow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I had to commute home from a meeting today in about 3" of snow. Some roads were plowed and others were not. I am running the stock 20" wheels with Michelin A/S 3+ tires. The car was a dream to drive. Planted, predictable and solid -- frankly the best driving car I have ever driven in the snow (including an Audi A4 Quattro). My house has a very steep driveway that was (as yet) uncleared and the M3P went straight up with zero wheel spin of any kind.

The only downside (and it is to be expected in these conditions) was that with the heat on i used 425 Wh/mi during the trip.

Finally, one little "gripe." The fact that someone started a thread here complaining about snow falling into his trunk was a "major issue" with the M3 is just so absurd. The car DRIVES like a dream in the snow. Wipe the snow off of the car BEFORE opening the trunk!!

3" is next to nothing. A report with 6"+ would probably be more useful.
I live in a ski town and we have had a huge winter. AWD Model 3 in snow with Nokian Hakkas is the most fun I’ve had. It’s amazing IMO. Far more fun and competent than a 2013 Subaru WRX, for example. I also own an AWD Model S which is even more stable than the 3, but not as playful. Regardless, IMO, AWD Tesla’s are superior to any other vehicle I’ve owned in the snow. And I’ve owned lots.

The last weekend driving up, in, and back from Tahoe with heavy snowfall just reinforced it. Model X in snow is phenomenal. Only someone who has never experienced it would dispute that assertion. It’s totally sure-footed, and even when it starts to be a bit unature, the car itself resolves the situation. Having my family in the car gives me so much more comfort that we’re in the best vehicle possible.

My experience with Michelin Alpins on my 20 in rims is that the P3D+ understeers more than I'm used to on AWD cars and that it behaves more like a RWD in the corners. I have to be careful to always let up on the accelerator significantly on the tight deep snow turns - or I go more straight than I want.

My current Jeep Grand Cherokee is much more planted. Probably no surprise there. But I'd say my 2012 Audi A6 quattro with performance all seasons (Conti DSW6?) was more planted too. The Audi is 100% AWD all the time. IIRC the Tesla front motor only engages as needed.

I wouldn't say "fantastic" so much as "workable".