Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P or MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello tesla fans!

I know the question has been asked a million times about the difference between the two so i wont go into detail about those. I currently have a 2021 MYLR with 11k miles on it. My wife and I love the car, it has plenty of room is fast and enjoyable. Over time, i have been wanting a faster car, even with the purchase of acceleration boost. So here's my question to all who have a M3P or a general understanding. I got an offer to sell the MYLR for $63K.... great offer as i paid $48,990. If i sold for the $63k i could buy the M3P and have all of the acceleration i could need. The wife on the other hand does not really agree. We have a one year old and a great dane. She wants to keep the car because of its practicality, which is true. But, we also have another SUV. 2018 Honda CRV EX-L with a huge roof rack. I think she has this need or misunderstanding that we must have two large SUV's. We as a coupel are more active in life but do not go off roading or bring kayaks or stuff like that. I keep trying to convince her that it is not needed (2 SUV's) and if we need to road trip with a bunch of stuff and the dog we could use the Honda to accomplish this task. I think she likes the idea now of only riding in the Tesla. A time and a market such as this one that we are currently in will afford me the option to get the dream tesla for no extra cost, besides the hit on the size of vehicle. Now before everyone goes on saying get the MYP i do not want to spend extra to get it. Its only that the market will allow me to do such a "change" that i am willing to do it. So, with all that said and kind of a background, for the people who have children or are more active in life, does the M3P suffice with a child and more active life style. How would you guys recommend i approach this situation to make her see eye to eye with me? Money is not the issue as this is a straight trade per say. On a side note, we make frequent trips (4 ish hours and pack the current model y pretty full) we would have to not take as much or get a smaller stroller... we could use the larger SUV for what it is meant to do. Any opinions would be helpful! Thanks.
-Kaz

This is a pure numbers thing... markets like this we may not see again in our life times. Selling your current car for more than you paid to enable essentially a free MYP upgrade is a no brainer from an investment pov. For some context I just did exactly this... sold my 2020 MYLR and upgraded to 2021 MYP. Have two kids, wife wasn't happy at first but came around after the MYLR sale closed. Good luck!

This is a pure numbers thing... markets like this we may not see again in our life times. Selling your current car for more than you paid to enable essentially a free MYP upgrade is a no brainer from an investment pov. For some context I just did exactly this... sold my 2020 MYLR and upgraded to 2021 MYP. Have two kids, wife wasn't happy at first but came around after the MYLR sale closed. Good luck!
So that's the thing, we would be going for MYLR to M3P.. not MYP.. it will be a downgrade for size but we will have the other larger vehicle....

Hello tesla fans!

I know the question has been asked a million times about the difference between the two so i wont go into detail about those. I currently have a 2021 MYLR with 11k miles on it. My wife and I love the car, it has plenty of room is fast and enjoyable. Over time, i have been wanting a faster car, even with the purchase of acceleration boost. So here's my question to all who have a M3P or a general understanding. I got an offer to sell the MYLR for $63K.... great offer as i paid $48,990. If i sold for the $63k i could buy the M3P and have all of the acceleration i could need. The wife on the other hand does not really agree. We have a one year old and a great dane. She wants to keep the car because of its practicality, which is true. But, we also have another SUV. 2018 Honda CRV EX-L with a huge roof rack. I think she has this need or misunderstanding that we must have two large SUV's. We as a coupel are more active in life but do not go off roading or bring kayaks or stuff like that. I keep trying to convince her that it is not needed (2 SUV's) and if we need to road trip with a bunch of stuff and the dog we could use the Honda to accomplish this task. I think she likes the idea now of only riding in the Tesla. A time and a market such as this one that we are currently in will afford me the option to get the dream tesla for no extra cost, besides the hit on the size of vehicle. Now before everyone goes on saying get the MYP i do not want to spend extra to get it. Its only that the market will allow me to do such a "change" that i am willing to do it. So, with all that said and kind of a background, for the people who have children or are more active in life, does the M3P suffice with a child and more active life style. How would you guys recommend i approach this situation to make her see eye to eye with me? Money is not the issue as this is a straight trade per say. On a side note, we make frequent trips (4 ish hours and pack the current model y pretty full) we would have to not take as much or get a smaller stroller... we could use the larger SUV for what it is meant to do. Any opinions would be helpful! Thanks.
-Kaz

You seem to be trying to convince US that you will be "ok" with a non SUV vehicle, when you need to be convincing your wife of that. The solution (that you said you dont want to do) is to get a Model Y performance. You can get more than you paid for the model Y LR, you get the performance you want, wife still has you in "the practical car".

Model 3s, because they are sedans, handle different, and are faster again than a model Y, but your wife seems to have an issue with your swap to the "smaller less practical" car. Since thats the case, your options are pretty simple:

1. Keep what you have, or
2. Argue with your wife and try to convince her "We dont need 2 SUVs" or
3. Buy the faster version of the car you already have, taking advantage of basically once in a lifetime opportunity (that will likely be in history books, or what passes for history books) for decades. Nip the conversation on not having 2 SUVs in the bud, yet still get "go faster" car. All it costs is money (likely a "few thousand" extra dollars, some of which you are getting back in this once in a lifetime market.

Seems like a fairly easy choice for either 1 or 3, given the spouse feelings on the situation.

@Kaz93 Are you just looking for more straight line speed, or do you want something sportier in terms of handling and feel?

In a straight line I don't think M3P is worth giving up Model Y space for. Maybe get MYP if you really want. Yes M3P accelerates quicker than your MYLR+AB from low speeds, but that's about it. I doubt you'll notice much difference at highway speeds. If this is your priority I would wait for Tesla to give the M3P/MYP a power upgrade, maybe some of the new Model S/X motor tech will trickle down soon.

Now if you want better handling and driving feel, the Model 3 (any version) will absolutely deliver. As similar as the Y and 3 feel, the 3 feels much more nimble and satisfying to toss around in turns. The lower height and lesser weight really show through in how it drives. The stock suspension is still garbage if you push it really hard on challenging roads, but that's why I have Öhlins dampers on order. 😉

As for whether you need 2 crossover size cars...I think you're right that you don't. But you need to keep your wife happy too.

Story time, in case it helps...

My wife and I were shopping for a 2nd car to go with our 2013 S P85 (our only car for many years). We also have 1 kid and 1 dog. She started us off mostly testing crossovers (Model Y, Macan, XC60, etc), and I was thinking in that size range too (though I prefer wagons).

But after driving two fun, sporty cars (Polestar 2 and Model 3) she saw how excited I was to get a car with some nimbleness again. Ultimately we realized we didn't need two big cars, one is enough for us. We're doing a lot of very twisty back road driving these days, and for us it made more sense to maximize handling fun over having two cargo haulers.

That said, if someone smashed into our S today, we would replace it with another large cargo hauler, probably another S or a Y. It's useful to have one car with real room and a lifegate.

Last edited:
Isn’t the MYP a rougher ride in the backseat?

I’d say buy acceleration boost on the Y first.

You should rent a Model 3 on Turo for a weekend to see if it has enough space for you. I feel it has plenty of “space” but the openings aren’t as large as the Y so things take some juggling to fit.

Exactly. I just sold our 21 MYLR (14k miles) yesterday for $63,500! we paid $51,000 for it last November. We just ordered the YP two days ago before the $1000 increase. I was not planning on selling our Y at all but this was an offer I could not sleep on. Do not think we will ever witness a crazy car market like this in the future.

Reactions: caleedubya
Exactly. I just sold our 21 MYLR (14k miles) yesterday for $63,500! we paid $51,000 for it last November. We just ordered the YP two days ago before the $1000 increase. I was not planning on selling our Y at all but this was an offer I could not sleep on. Do not think we will ever witness a crazy car market like this in the future.
Where did you sell your MYLR may I ask? I’m exploring the option myself and moving to a MYP but my offers have been in the $59K range.

Where did you sell your MYLR may I ask? I’m exploring the option myself and moving to a MYP but my offers have been in the $59K range.
It was sold to a local Dealer here in Anchorage, Alaska. I used CARFAX to get an "instant cash deal" and took that to local dealers and one of them paid me a little more than the suggested trade in value.

Reactions: voxel
I just did the opposite. Cashed out of a 2020 M3P Stealth with 22.000 miles for $56,000 and have MYLR on order
I drove a YLR first and yes, it’s not quite as nimble or fast. I may buy boost. But at the end of the day, after two years, I determined I did not need the full acceleration. I never used it except to scare passengers. It wasn’t practical to just stomp it in traffic and totally overkill.
The car is heavy and not something you smoke around twisty back roads like a Lotus. Yes, you can hit it as you smoothly exit a corner.
But I figure goosing a stand LRY maybe with booster would do exactly what the 3P was going in terms of acceleration as I actually used it.
You likely won’t use full gas much at all. It is oddly satisfying knowing you’re in pretty much the fastest thing around but... what you are really looking at here is a trade off -- somewhat more nimble vs somewhat more practical. The MYP as several have pointed out complicates the decision and could be good choice.
But yeah, its a no brainer to take advantage of this market.

You seem to be trying to convince US that you will be "ok" with a non SUV vehicle, when you need to be convincing your wife of that. The solution (that you said you dont want to do) is to get a Model Y performance. You can get more than you paid for the model Y LR, you get the performance you want, wife still has you in "the practical car".

Model 3s, because they are sedans, handle different, and are faster again than a model Y, but your wife seems to have an issue with your swap to the "smaller less practical" car. Since thats the case, your options are pretty simple:

1. Keep what you have, or
2. Argue with your wife and try to convince her "We dont need 2 SUVs" or
3. Buy the faster version of the car you already have, taking advantage of basically once in a lifetime opportunity (that will likely be in history books, or what passes for history books) for decades. Nip the conversation on not having 2 SUVs in the bud, yet still get "go faster" car. All it costs is money (likely a "few thousand" extra dollars, some of which you are getting back in this once in a lifetime market.

Seems like a fairly easy choice for either 1 or 3, given the spouse feelings on the situation.
Option 4 is ignore your wife, get what you want, then pay a lot for a divorce.

Isn’t the MYP a rougher ride in the backseat?

I’d say buy acceleration boost on the Y first.

You should rent a Model 3 on Turo for a weekend to see if it has enough space for you. I feel it has plenty of “space” but the openings aren’t as large as the Y so things take some juggling to fit.
Given the multiple price increases to the LR Y. it doesn’t make any sense to get acceleration boost for $2k . Along with any other cosmetic upgrade (which LR owners end up doing ; painting calipers , buying induction wheels, rear spoiler and what not. At the older price point it made much more sense (49k) Now? not so much. And this is coming from a 2020 LR Y owner

Reactions: mrmtb
Given the multiple price increases to the LR Y. it doesn’t make any sense to get acceleration boost for $2k . Along with any other cosmetic upgrade (which LR owners end up doing ; painting calipers , buying induction wheels, rear spoiler and what not. At the older price point it made much more sense (49k) Now? not so much. And this is coming from a 2020 LR Y owner
The major argument is 7-seats I guess. That's not available in MYP.

21" is a rougher ride and more expensive to replace tires.

UPDATE**

I ordered the M3P after talking to the wife. I explained that we had another large SUV that could suit or needs for the 5% of driving that we do which is long distance. She came around to the idea after i explained that i am the primary driver and there is still plenty of room for her (she's is quite small).

Reactions: tm1v2 and voxel
Hate to say it, but Your wife is right, I've had a Model 3 LRAWD w/ accel boost, and now have the Model Y performance. Honestly you're going to get used to the speed of the Model 3 performance so quickly it's not going to make the difference you probably think it will. My goodness you've got a baby and great dane. I can't think of a more appropriate need for a Model Y.

Reactions: boulder.dude