Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E Thermal System Nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Mach-E fans can start more name calling with the latest from Munro:

Damn. This video should convince every Mach-e owner to buy an extended warranty. The Mach-e is going to be a VERY expensive car to own out of warranty. The Mach-e was one of the cars I would have looked at when I decided to trade in my Y, not any more.

What's funny is the Fan Boy's reactions on the Mach-e forums. "Nothing wrong with this, hoses are cheap." ROFL You have to be blind and ignorant not to understand just how much worse this makes the E over a Tesla. Anyone that has ever done serious work on a car is going to shudder when they see this video. The labor cost to change these hoses as they inevitably start to leak in a few years (cheap fittings) is going to be astronomical.

At least this video solves the question of how Ford got their dealers on board with the Mach-e. Dealers make most of their money from the Service department, and the Mach-e is going to be a gold mine for those dealers who service it. That is just a simple fact.

Reactions: alexgr and WADan
Really interesting video. Also mentions how bad the ID.4's system is.

Ford and VW systems give them a disadvantage on weight, energy usage, potential for leak, increased production cost & complexity vs. Tesla.

MME may be a competitor for the Model Y, just not a very good one.
I'm sorry, but Munro's teardown/review of the ID.4 is the very reason why I would never buy a car based on Munro's opinions. That's not because I'm German or because I might believe that the ID.4 is the best EV that's on offer, but because I believe that Munro - who is ex-Ford - represents some of the worst aspects of the US car industry.
Whatever you may think otherwise about the ID.4, Munro's own teardown shows it to be built like a tank, using metal alloys and being solidly screwed together with massive screws. This may cause a slight weight penality and increased production time, yet in a couple of years there will be plenty of specialized car repair shops, e.g. in Eastern Europe, that will be capable to easily disassemble an ID.4, replace a defective part and reassemble the car back to good condition. When the car finally lands on the scrap heap there will be plenty of metal parts that can be recycled.
Munro on the other hand is a fan of slapping a car together with "snap on" plastic parts. Anyone who wants to do some repair job in a couple of years time will be treated to a symphony of connection joints snapping off because of fatigue of the plastic. Great job. I rather want to have a car that's screwed together, rather than getting screwed as a customer.
Ah yes, and Munro had some consulting job for some Saudi outfit that should show (to VW, to the audience?) that he could save some kg by replacing the battery casing of the ID.4 that's made of some metal alloy with some plastic case. Sure, I'am absolutely confident that the plastic part not only will facilitate repair jobs, but will also be more usable for recycling (not).
Munro's engineering ideas may be suitable for making some cheap household appliances made in the PRC, yet I personally would never buy a car that is based on his recommendations.

Reactions: Bmr4EV
Screws back out, corrode, get stuck, get stripped, ...etc... all the time in vehicles. Thats not even getting into all of the different heads and standards. I think Sandy said he used to have a budget of millions a year at Ford trying to solve fastener issues.

I'm sorry, but Munro's teardown/review of the ID.4 is the very reason why I would never buy a car based on Munro's opinions. That's not because I'm German or because I might believe that the ID.4 is the best EV that's on offer, but because I believe that Munro - who is ex-Ford - represents some of the worst aspects of the US car industry.
Whatever you may think otherwise about the ID.4, Munro's own teardown shows it to be built like a tank, using metal alloys and being solidly screwed together with massive screws. This may cause a slight weight penality and increased production time, yet in a couple of years there will be plenty of specialized car repair shops, e.g. in Eastern Europe, that will be capable to easily disassemble an ID.4, replace a defective part and reassemble the car back to good condition. When the car finally lands on the scrap heap there will be plenty of metal parts that can be recycled.
Munro on the other hand is a fan of slapping a car together with "snap on" plastic parts. Anyone who wants to do some repair job in a couple of years time will be treated to a symphony of connection joints snapping off because of fatigue of the plastic. Great job. I rather want to have a car that's screwed together, rather than getting screwed as a customer.
Ah yes, and Munro had some consulting job for some Saudi outfit that should show (to VW, to the audience?) that he could save some kg by replacing the battery casing of the ID.4 that's made of some metal alloy with some plastic case. Sure, I'am absolutely confident that the plastic part not only will facilitate repair jobs, but will also be more usable for recycling (not).
Munro's engineering ideas may be suitable for making some cheap household appliances made in the PRC, yet I personally would never buy a car that is based on his recommendations.

Reactions: Nakk