Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford slashes Mach-E prices by up to $5,900... offers refunds to customers that paid higher price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 8.53.02 AM.jpg

Mach-E customers already waiting on their order will be given the adjusted price when their vehicle arrives, and current owners will hear from Ford for "personal offers" designed to refund the difference in price they paid before the cuts, Gjaja said on a phone call with reporters.

The main difference is the sales model with a single price on any given day for all buyers at all locations. If Tesla had some sort of deal where independently owned dealerships all sold/delivered cars that were ordered online with no price negotiation and no dealer-added options, it would be indistinguishable from the customer's perspective.

Back in the day Saturn came close with the pricing model, but the dealerships would still try to sell you undercoating and extended warranties.

I might buy something other than a Tesla for my next car, but I would have to have a very compelling reason to buy it through a negotiation process at a dealership. If I can't just go online and buy it, that's a huge disincentive for me. I really don't care who owns the building or pays the employees where I go to pick it up.

There are a number of dealerships out there that have no haggle pricing. Besides, no one is forced to negotiate at a dealership. Just as with Tesla, anyone can pay the posted retail price if they want to. Also as with Tesla, that price may be a lot lower in a few days, weeks or months but if someone doesn't want to negotiate that’s entirely their choice.

Over night Tesla has discounted several Model Ys in "inventory" in the Denver area by an additional $2500. These are new cars (50 or less miles). Price for a white model Y with the 20" induction wheels is listed at $52,990. As a custom order it is listed as $55,490.

Are they identified as Long Range models? If not, perhaps they are “off menu” Short Range MYs. The $55,490 price (which is actually, $57,130 after destination/doc fee, non-refundable order fee but before sales tax and other fees) is for a Long Range MY.

Reactions: zoomer0056
no one is forced to negotiate at a dealership
There's no ADM (additional dealer markups) at Tesla Service Centers. Direct to customer. No aggressive salesmanship trying to sell undercoating. No negotiation or surprises or fighting over price and extra useless products. It's a business paradigm shift. The same price across all Service Centers to all customers.

The last word, the point has already been made. Some handle change by dearly hanging on to old. 🤪 "back to the regularly scheduled program".

Last edited:
Reactions: starise
Are they identified as Long Range models? If not, perhaps they are “off menu” Short Range MYs. The $55,490 price (which is actually, $57,130 after destination/doc fee, non-refundable order fee but before sales tax and other fees) is for a Long Range MY.
You are correct. Good catch. They are "All Wheel Drive". Looks like Tesla is now offering a standard range Model Y.

There's no ADM (additional dealer markups) at Tesla Service Centers. Direct to customer. No aggressive salesmanship trying to sell undercoating. No negotiation or surprises or fighting over price and extra useless products. It's a business paradigm shift. The same price across all Service Centers to all customers.

Have the last word, the point has already been made. Some handle change by dearly hanging on to old. 🤪 "back to the regularly scheduled program".

Tesla "ADMs" can come via random retail price increases. For example, Tesla just tacked on $500 to the base price of the MY LR about a week ago.

As I've stated before, people can walk into any dealership (Tesla or otherwise) and pay the posted retail price if they want to. The buying experience can be as easy/pleasant or hard/unpleasant as someone wants to make it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
You are correct. Good catch. They are "All Wheel Drive". Looks like Tesla is now offering a standard range Model Y.

They've been offering it for a little while but don't allow you to custom order it on the website yet i.e., it's been an "off menu" item. The salesperson at your local Tesla dealership (store) would've been able to tell you about it and order/locate one for you, however.

I'll bet they will increase the price of the Long Range model Y soon since the Standard Range will allow people to get the Tax credit.

Tesla did increase the base price of the MY LR about a week ago. I'm not sure if more increases are coming. Tesla price increases and decreases can be unpredictable.

I've just noticed that the range is stated as 269. If you custom order a new one with 20 in wheels the range drops to 318. Does this mean a smaller battery or a software change to lower the range? If so it isn't really a real discount.
Yes, that would be a Model Y AWD vs. the Model Y Long Range that you can custom order.

(So, it is a Giga Texas built Model Y with the 4680 pack.)

Inventory in Denver

It looks like they are indeed SR models. Remember to keep in mind that those posted prices ($52,990 and $53,990) don't include the various extra charges and fees e.g., $52,990 ends up being $54,630 and that’s before potential sales tax and other fees.

Also, if you don't see a car you want online it can be worthwhile contacting or visiting your local Tesla store regarding availability of vehicles as Tesla doesn't post all of its inventory online.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
It looks like they are indeed SR models. Remember to keep in mind that those posted prices ($52,990 and $53,990) don't include the various extra charges and fees e.g., $52,990 ends up being $54,630 and that’s before potential sales tax and other fees.

Also, if you don't see a car you want online it can be worthwhile contacting or visiting your local Tesla store regarding availability of vehicles as Tesla doesn't post all of its inventory online.

I want to consider a SR Y 7 seater if they had the unicorn in inventory, but my store says "it's all online"

I guess this is an advantage of the traditional commission driven sales. They want to sell vs TSLA stores are much more "get it online" salaried folks (at least in AZ)