Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made a couple small changes to the Cybertruck. Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s what Tesla would have designed if they weren’t trying to make the nest Truck they could. The changes are just trying to fit the product into existing ideas of what a truck should look like.

Yes low bed rails make it easier to reach over the side. In exchange you loose 40% of the lockable storage and massive range.
Lockable storage would only be reduced by about 25% and it would not have a very big impact on range. Flat sides would be a huge benefit.

Too bad. This is what it needs to be. If they can’t get reasonable range with it like this they need to delay it until battery technology is ready.

To the op, I LOVE it. This is exactly what it needs. Range will go down slightly but 100% worth it.
It sounds like you work for a major auto manufacturer. :D

I love it, and I'm sure plenty of other people will too. Someone who doesn't like it can wait for someone else to make a more conventional pickup, or just buy it, chop off the back, and live with worse range.

Too bad. This is what it needs to be. If they can’t get reasonable range with it like this they need to delay it until battery technology is ready.

To the op, I LOVE it. This is exactly what it needs. Range will go down slightly but 100% worth it.

Btw, a more significant consideration is likely the structure needed for towing. Conventional trucks look the way they do because they are built on top of a frame that carries the towing load. Look at the ridge line (uni-body) and the small sail panel rails they did. Think those are there for fun? Tesla is a getting the massive towing capabilities without a frame because of the design.

In other words to have the normal truck look you have to take the body on frame design with the corresponding tradeoffs of significantly smaller cabin, more weight, and poor handling. Tesla designed it to be an entirely new type of truck and the form follows the intended purpose.

Btw, a more significant consideration is likely the structure needed for towing. Conventional trucks look the way they do because they are built on top of a frame that carries the towing load. Look at the ridge line (uni-body) and the small sail panel rails they did. Think those are there for fun? Tesla is a getting the massive towing capabilities without a frame because of the design.

In other words to have the normal truck look you have to take the body on frame design with the corresponding tradeoffs of significantly smaller cabin, more weight, and poor handling. Tesla designed it to be an entirely new type of truck and the form follows the intended purpose.

Show me how the "probability of injury" tests play out before you tout how great this "new" whiz-bang type of truck is. Here's a hint: the fatalities in motor racing sports were astronomical when they had cars that had rigid shells with the only frangible object being the driver. Since then we've learned that an endo-skeleton with frangible exterior panels to dissipate energy around the occupants yields the fewest injuries. Now, all of a sudden, you're going to tell me that a cold-rolled steel "exo-skeleton" design vehicle is the safest fort it's occupants? I'm not buying it. Not only is that style of design a death trap for everyone inside I'm not very hopeful of other occupants of more safe vehicles in the event of a car on car accident especially as speeds increase. That's not even getting into the pedestrian safety standards that are a requirement which there's no way in hell this vehicle would pass.

Yeah, a lot of folks put racks on the side bed rails.

How would you carry a simple ladder? Or anything long.

Maybe Tesla has answers. They often do.

Elon has had years to think about this and adapt his thinking out of the box. We’ve had less than 12 hours....

Maybe this wasn't designed to be an all purpose pickup like many people expected when they heard "Pickup". Rivian's certainly isn't and I see CyberTruck being more useful in some ways to hauling things. Believe it's targeting the casual homeowner who for whatever reason now wants to drive around in a pickup instead of a SUV/crossovere, the off roader who wants no-dent and no-broken glass rugged, and to the business person who can take advantage of the space it allots for their equipment and supplies. It won't meet everyone's needs. Maybe down the road they will go more commercial but first I think they will get out their Semis.

Reactions: QUBO
Their version is a much sturdier structure and will slip through the air more easily.

Yours looks more conventional and will have more room in the back seat and easier access to the front of the bed.

But with a roof overhead, apart like looking like an old-fashioned station wagon or funeral car, you are limited by the height of what you can carry in the back. As designed the roof can retract and their are tie down points to secure items that will protrude above thee side panels of the bed.

Show me how the "probability of injury" tests play out before you tout how great this "new" whiz-bang type of truck is. Here's a hint: the fatalities in motor racing sports were astronomical when they had cars that had rigid shells with the only frangible object being the driver. Since then we've learned that an endo-skeleton with frangible exterior panels to dissipate energy around the occupants yields the fewest injuries. Now, all of a sudden, you're going to tell me that a cold-rolled steel "exo-skeleton" design vehicle is the safest fort it's occupants? I'm not buying it. Not only is that style of design a death trap for everyone inside I'm not very hopeful of other occupants of more safe vehicles in the event of a car on car accident especially as speeds increase. That's not even getting into the pedestrian safety standards that are a requirement which there's no way in hell this vehicle would pass.

Given that Tesla has designed some of the best and safest crash tested vehicles out there, do you really think this isn't designed well to factor in safety, and at least better than some trucks out there. I remember when there was the crash into the center barrier on 101 that I read a report and saw photos of pick up trucks impacting this type of barrier (report might have been done by some highway group or the barrier company), but they did not fair well in this type of crash. Tesla is all about safety as well as the environment and while they haven't addressed the safety aspect during the reveeal suspect there's still more refining of design being done before one will be officially tested but seriously doubt it hasn't been a working concern of theirs.

It’s almost like you haven’t been paying attention to Tesla at all.

TtKx3cu.png
And let me guess...you want the price and range to stay the same?

I see a problem

Given that Tesla has designed some of the best and safest crash tested vehicles out there, do you really think this isn't designed well to factor in safety, and at least better than some trucks out there. I remember when there was the crash into the center barrier on 101 that I read a report and saw photos of pick up trucks impacting this type of barrier (report might have been done by some highway group or the barrier company), but they did not fair well in this type of crash. Tesla is all about safety as well as the environment and while they haven't addressed the safety aspect during the reveeal suspect there's still more refining of design being done before one will be officially tested but seriously doubt it hasn't been a working concern of theirs.

It’s almost like you haven’t been paying attention to Tesla at all.

Thank you for making my point.

We all know that Tesla's #1 mission has been to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy use & #2 in that mission is to build safe cars w/o compromise, right? So why are they building a pickup truck that Elon admitted "isn't for everyone" and who's design elements make massive concessions to driver safety? This whole pickup truck reveal is a massive departure from Tesla's core values and it makes zero sense.

...We all know that Tesla's #1 mission has been to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy use & #2 in that mission is to build safe cars w/o compromise, right? So why are they building a pickup truck that Elon admitted "isn't for everyone" and who's design elements make massive concessions to driver safety? This whole pickup truck reveal is a massive departure from Tesla's core values and it makes zero sense.

I don't think I heard Elon or Franz make any comment about massive concessions to driver safety. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion at all knowing these two and what they continue to bring to Tesla.

Reactions: Yuri_G and PACEMD
You ruin aero this way, maybe just round the top a little but that kills the way they want to manufacture this and increases costs.
If you look at test rides videos you might realize that changes are not necessary. MY needed a taller roofline in the rear but this one is OK as is.

It's not aero the shape is for strength of the exoskeleton and a restriction of the material they're using The alloy they're using can't be stamped and is cost prohibitive to put compound curves into

Reactions: Icer

It's folly to speculate on this. a lot of engineering does go into this in general and you can still build crumple zones and other safety features in with strong materials in a exoskeletal design. It'll require crash testing to see production in a lot of markets so we'll have real metrics on how it compares there before it's on the roads

Reactions: Icer
Now that I would not even consider buying. Precisely what I do not want, a conceptual and functional splice.View attachment 481769

This design is oh so close, but having been a truck "user" (not just owner or driver) for several decades, I know what functionality works for me and what would be annoying. I am pretty sure the professional designers could create something with a less obstructed cargo bed and still keep a uniform "concept" and less "splice".

I didn't save the intermediate version, but when I first chopped off the "sail" sides but still had the original cab roof angle slope, it kept the mars-rover concept look, but was not well balanced. A designer could probably play around with the roof line and c-pillar angle and width to make the concept uniform and still make it more functional.

They could even make the roll top and bed side sails optional to satisfy a wider range of users.

Well, I have long had a diesel F350 dually I use to pull a gooseneck. I don't see the Cybertruck bed working with a gooseneck but slicing off the sails seems only to compromise existing function to appease those who prefer to say, now that looks more like a truck to me........I'm also not a fan of Ford sticking a 6.5' bed on otherwise full trucks like the F250/F350. A compromised bed is a compromised bed. Fix it or don't. Know your purpose and know your vehicle. You can always chop yours up later if you like.......