Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made In China Model Y has 15.5 Lithium battery to replace 12V lead-acid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What all does the lithium ion battery power on the model y and what additional things can be plugged into it for power?
The low voltage lithium battery module replaces the 12V lead-acid battery used in earlier Tesla vehicles. The lithium module battery powers essential systems such as the door locks, LTE and Bluetooth modems when the Tesla Model Y is parked, enters sleep mode. The lithium battery module provides the initial power to boot up the Tesla Model Y's computer systems. This is a smaller amp-hour (Ah) capacity battery than the older lead-acid battery and should not be tapped to power any accessories. When the Tesla Model Y is powered the accessory power system (APS) draws power from the high voltage battery, steps this down to low voltage. The APS is capable of providing up to 2 kW of power for the low voltage systems. This includes the low voltage accessory ports located in the center console and rear hatch. The maximum amperage rating for the accessory outlets is 12 amps continuous, 16 amps peak.

Reactions: JeffnReno
The low voltage lithium battery module replaces the 12V lead-acid battery used in earlier Tesla vehicles. The lithium module battery powers essential systems such as the door locks, LTE and Bluetooth modems when the Tesla Model Y is parked, enters sleep mode. The lithium battery module provides the initial power to boot up the Tesla Model Y's computer systems. This is a smaller amp-hour (Ah) capacity battery than the older lead-acid battery and should not be tapped to power any accessories. When the Tesla Model Y is powered the accessory power system (APS) draws power from the high voltage battery, steps this down to low voltage. The APS is capable of providing up to 2 kW of power for the low voltage systems. This includes the low voltage accessory ports located in the center console and rear hatch. The maximum amperage rating for the accessory outlets is 12 amps continuous, 16 amps peak.
thanks for the detailed info. so curious how do folks connect a front 10.5 inch display screen nowadays on the new model y's if the current battery is not enough? i bought a display unit now i am wondering if i should return it.

thanks for the detailed info. so curious how do folks connect a front 10.5 inch display screen nowadays on the new model y's if the current battery is not enough? i bought a display unit now i am wondering if i should return it.
They tap into the low voltage system. If you look for videos on Youtube people hard wire radar detectors, audio amplifiers for subwoofers and other accessories into the Tesla Model Y's low voltage system. Most of these electronics would only need to be powered when the Tesla Model Y is being driven or in standby mode when parked. The Tesla Model Y provides up to 2 kW of low voltage power; more than enough for most purposes when the Tesla Model Y is powered up.

Reactions: JeffnReno