Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV Battery 12V vs 16V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 12V (nominal) Li-Ion battery part number 1598486-00-D
Can I replace with 16V (nominal) Part number 1598486-00-F
The 12V is actually 14.8V the 16V is actually 15.9V

Attachments

• New_12V_Tesla_battery33.jpg
    New_12V_Tesla_battery33.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 686
I have a 12V (nominal) Li-Ion battery part number 1598486-00-D
Can I replace with 16V (nominal) Part number 1598486-00-F
The 12V is actually 14.8V the 16V is actually 15.9V
Even though the sticker says 12V there have never been 12V nominal li-ion from Tesla AFAIK. The lithium batteries that said "12V Li-ion" on the sticker were still 15.5V according to manual:

I'm not sure where you got 14.8V? It would be news if there were two versions.

I think people were confused by your question asking about 12V because all Tesla 12V are lead acid.

Another thread that discussed this:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yes you can. Both batteries are basically the same, just slightly different revision. Not sure where you getting the voltage numbers you posted.

You don’t need any programming to replace the LV lithium battery, but you shouldn’t need to replace it either. Why are you replacing it?

Even though the sticker says 12V there have never been 12V nominal li-ion from Tesla AFAIK. The lithium batteries that said "12V Li-ion" on the sticker were still 15.5V according to manual:

I'm not sure where you got 14.8V? It would be news if there were two versions.

I think people were confused by your question asking about 12V because all Tesla 12V are lead acid.

Another thread that discussed this:
Thanks StopCrazy PP
Yes you can. Both batteries are basically the same, just slightly different revision. Not sure where you getting the voltage numbers you posted.

You don’t need any programming to replace the LV lithium battery, but you shouldn’t need to replace it either. Why are you replacing it?
Thanks for the info
It seemed crazy to think they would come out with a 12V and then switch almost immediately to 16V

link?

I assume the cars with the 16v Lithium have a higher charge voltage, perhaps 18v which might fry equipment you attach to the car's 12v system. Is there a 18v->12v adapter that feeds the lighter plug? How many amps can it handle?

Last edited:
link?

I assume the cars with the 16v Lithium have a higher charge voltage, perhaps 18v which might fry equipment you attach to the car's 12v system. Is there a 18v->12v adapter that feeds the lighter plug? How many amps can it handle?
Ah sorry , at the time of posting I wasn't sure if I could post youtube link or not, but see others have, so here we go.