Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in New Zealand - Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I'm being told.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 2.08.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 2.08.01 PM.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 233
I would imagine they are simply following New Zealand laws.

7 does indicate manufactured in NZ:

Oceania - VIN Country of Origin​

6Australia
7New Zealand
As seen from the table above, 6 and 7 are the codes representing Australia and New Zealand. Thus, all vehicles with the VIN country of origin were manufactured in Australia or New Zealand, respectively.

Thank you. It just caught me by surprise. With everything going on, especially in the auto industry, I didn't want to have one of New Zealand's versions of The Wagon Queen Family Truckster. Kind of wish it was made in TX, but CA works too. Thank you for giving me some of your time to show me the error of my way.

Last edited:
Thank you. It just caught me by surprise. With everything going on, especially in the auto industry, I didn't want to have one of New Zealand's version of The Wagon Queen Family Truckster. Kind of wish it was made in TX, but CA works too. Thank you for giving me some of your time to show me the error of my way.
Why do so many folks here want to get one of the first vehicles made in a brand new factory instead of one from a more established factory?

Anyway, at least according to Wikipedia Tesla is not the only American manufacturer with a WMI that starts with 7.

Attachments

• 810EF31F-E011-4E99-AC8C-EF08BFF34F7E.jpeg
    810EF31F-E011-4E99-AC8C-EF08BFF34F7E.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 186
....the good news from all of this, is if anyone asks this dumb question ever again, the Google bot has already assimilated it into its search results. This way the next time someone asks they can avoid the shame.

You see in my day the first letter/number of VIN meant the country of origin. Today, the first three letters/numbers represent the manufacturer. I'm not sure when that changed, but starting with a 7, many moons ago, meant the vehicle a vehicle of origin was New Zealand.

Leaftoy, so many folks here want a first vehicle made at a new factory such as TX, because the folks here are buying a Tesla based on cutting edge/advance technology. I want a first experience on the new single piece rear casting, the new 4680 battery, or even the new AMD chip. And they're only coming out of that factory, sooner or later. If anyone here only took chances on established factories, Tesla wouldn't exist. I understand your apprehension and the comfort in safe bets, but you have to bet big to win big. In all fairness though, Elon has kind of established himself as a fairly safe bet. ....but New Zealand...LOL.

Leaftoy, so many folks here want a first vehicle made at a new factory such as TX, because the folks here are buying a Tesla based on cutting edge/advance technology. I want a first experience on the new single piece rear casting, the new 4680 battery, or even the new AMD chip. And they're only coming out of that factory, sooner or later. If anyone here only took chances on established factories, Tesla wouldn't exist. I understand your apprehension and the comfort in safe bets, but you have to bet big to win big. In all fairness though, Elon has kind of established himself as a fairly safe bet. ....but New Zealand...LOL.
I find it hard to believe Tesla would deliver vastly different vehicles into the same country from two factories for the same order configuration. I can understand if they delivered MYLR from Fremont and MYP with upgraded tech from Austin until Fremont assembly line is upgraded. Or introduce a new trim level for the 4680 battery.

Why do so many folks here want to get one of the first vehicles made in a brand new factory instead of one from a more established factory

I ask myself that everytime I visit TMC.

We want a second Tesla MY. Musk said Austin will not hit full production capacity until Q4 '22. Therefore I'm placing my order next December. Best of all worlds.