TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Main Fuse

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by smoothoperator, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Anyone know the location of the Main Fuse for the batteries in a Roadster?

2. clea

clea Member

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I don't think there is a single main fuse - more like dozens of individual fuses for different systems. There are certainly several major fuses inside the PEM and ESS housings. The ESS fuses are only reachable by removing and opening the entire ESS (I learned this the hard way).

There is a service isolation for the ESS at the rear left side of the car.

4. Interesting thanks for the information....

Reason I am asking is because in another thread a poster claimed to have removed the "main line" fuse as "directed by Tesla"

Damaged #1207

I was just wondering if this was bogus or true

5. ernst

ernst 't is een grijze.

I think he took out the "main shutter plug" It is on the left side of the battery pack and can be taken out to disconnect the power from the battery pack.

Attached Files:

6. zack

zack Member

That seems pretty small to carry all of the current from the pack!

7. ernst

ernst 't is een grijze.

They told me to take it out to disconnect the pack. Think it is more or less the control power from the pack and that pack has it own relay that shuts off inside.

8. markwj

The ESS has a set of large relays. You can hear them engage when you open the car.

I believe the "main shutter plug" just controls power to those relays. Without the relays open, no power leaves the pack.

P.S. Tesla don't call them 'relays' but have some fancy name for them. Something like 'contracters'.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

"Contactors" would make more sense.

10. markwj

Yep:

Roadster Technology - Power Control | Tesla Motors

The charge and drive modes are configured using a set of four large relays known as contactors. The contactors allow the semiconductor switches to be used to connect the battery to either the charge port or the motor. When the Roadster is turned on, a series of clicking sounds can be heard as the contactors close the connection to the motor.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

"Contactor" is technical-ese for "big-ass relay".

12. S-2000 Roadster

Perhaps the account of the removal event itself was not bogus, but I would say that removing any such main fuse or relay control is NOT going to "preserve the battery." The only way to preserve the battery is to leave the Roadster plugged in to power, ideally in Storage Mode for maximum preservation.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I suspect it will extend the life quite a bit if the car isn't plugged in. The car draws about 1% power a day to run the VDS etc. I expect pulling the plug will limit the drain to cell self-discharge, which could take a very long time.

14. markwj

This is what I was told. The batteries in the workshop, not connected to a car, drain very slowly (although they do have a special maintenance rig to charge them outside the car, if necessary).

15. GSP

GSP Member

These photos look like the high voltage disconnect used in most, if not all, high voltage batteries to make them safer to service. It would be in series with the cells, and indeed it looks like it is designed for peak currents in the hundreds of amps. It's average or contineous current rating would be much less, about 1/5 of the peak rating or less, thus tricking zack's trained eye, which is probably accustomed to circuits designed to carry 80% of peak current on a contineous basis.

Also, don't forget that the cells will still slowly self discharge, even when completely disconnected.

GSP

16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

In the case of a totaled Roadster, disconnecting the battery pack is probably more of a safety precaution than for preserving the battery.