Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main Screen + Cluster Screen - Turns OFF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I had an issue with my X this morning while driving both screens shut off. As a new model X owner, I was really annoyed by this experience.

Does this normally happen? I had to reset the screens but it took a couple of attempts.

How often might this happen and has anyone else experienced this?

I also called Tesla Roadside assistance but they said nothing was wrong and that this might happen time to time. Which i think is unacceptable.

Any feedback? Thank you

I would not call it normal, but it has happened to me before. Maybe twice since i’ve owned the car (late June). I have never been able to *make* it happen. I consider it to be insignificant because it did not affect my ability to drive the car (although the “panel failure” was disconcerting). It cleared by itself with no action from me.

More annoying is the less frequent failure of all things audio, no entertainment, no beeps, bongs, even turn signals silent. This required a system reboot to clear. Which is less convenient while driving. Again, no impact on actually driving the car.

Both I consider minor issues. If they happened more often than a few times a year it would be a bigger deal.

One thing that can be helpful is to note the precise time the incident occurred, and include that with your trouble report. “System crash Tuesday between 14:20 and 14:25” helps out the techs quite a bit.

I've never had my dash screen reboot while driving. I've had the center console reboot (or initiated a reset on my own) a couple of times while driving.

I'm still on 2018.32.2 and have MCU1. I think some firmware releases after that have caused frequent screen reboots, plus the new MCU2 drives both screens. So an MCU2 crash would affect both displays.

Reactions: Bogobec
No problems for the first 9-10 months of ownership, however about 6 weeks ago my center console display started rebooting every 15 mins while driving, had the car in SC a few weeks ago and between them and Fremont they found a bunch of error codes. They thought they fixed it and the valet guy who brought the car back said it didn’t reboot on the 30 minute drive from SC to my house. Sadly, the 1st time I drove it the next day it happened again, and continues to happen. The car was picked up again this morning for them to replace the MCU, hope it fixes it.