Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major FSD camera suite oversight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would make sense. Accurate 3D point cloud data could be used to improve distance estimation on their vision system or on the Pseudo-Lidar system. That said, the raised pillar cameras makes me think this isn't being developed for any current vehicle's NN.

The Elektrek article speculates that it could be for the Cybertruck. The idea being that the raised pillar cameras could be for a larger vehicle like the Cybertruck. But I am not sure. The locations don't seem to fit with the Cybertruck. Plus, if you were testing sensor locations for the Cybertruck, why not just use a cybertruck and that way you can place the sensors on the real thing? Why place sensors awkwardly on one type of vehicle to test for a completely different vehicle?

The Elektrek article speculates that it could be for the Cybertruck. The idea being that the raised pillar cameras could be for a larger vehicle like the Cybertruck. But I am not sure. The locations don't seem to fit with the Cybertruck. Plus, if you were testing sensor locations for the Cybertruck, why not just use a cybertruck and that way you can place the sensors on the real thing? Why place sensors awkwardly on one type of vehicle to test for a completely different vehicle?
Could it be for the Tesla Semi? I heard Tesla is accelerating Semi development with initial production later this year.

I assume Tesla didn't want to wait for release candidate Tesla Semi trucks to roll out prior to work on AP. Especially since they don't have many prototype trucks running around right now (I haven't seen any spotted publicly other than the original two trucks), maybe they could be using this rig instead?

The height of the fender cams mounted on the Model S rig seem to better fit the Semi compared to the Cybertruck.

tesla-model-s-vs-semi-truck-rocklin-supercharger.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: powertoold
Could it be for the Tesla Semi? I heard Tesla is accelerating Semi development with initial production later this year.
I assume they might not have wanted to wait for release candidate Tesla Semi trucks to roll out prior to getting the AP work going. Especially since they don't have many prototype trucks running around right now (I haven't seen any spotted publicly other than the original two trucks), maybe they could be using this rig instead?

Could be maybe.

I'm thinking that Tesla is counting on inter-car communication. You would need less cameras per car if there are more cars with cameras. In the OP's example picture if there was a car in the oncoming lane turning then it could use it's rear camera to tell the OP's car that the lanes are clear. All Tesla cars have 3g/4g and wifi so they could talk to each other that way.