Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major problem created when tinting front windows of M3 w/ white interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my LR AWD done in 18% Suntek ceramic. Seeing the same issue. The wood dash almost completely obstructs the mirror in high sunlight. I like the look of the car now too much for it to be an issue.
Wow, I thought the wood dash would be much less reflective than the ultra white dash I have! I'm thinking I might just put a black piece of cloth over the outside quarters of the dash.

View attachment 399871

Here's my view. I put Wincos 30 on the front, with 10 on the back windows. Unlike my black LR, even with 10 on the back you can still see in with the white interior. 30 on the front with white interior looks like nearly no tint!
Your 30 is certainly better than my 20. If I had gotten 35, I'm sure I wouldn't object as much. But I do like the darkness and uniformity the 20 on all sides and back window affords. It very much matches my Midnight Silver paint

The reflections are the reason I ALWAYS get a black interior. It doesn't bother some people, but it bugs me to no end. I don't care how clean and awesome a white/light interior looks, I'll never have another one. I guess if you always wear polarized glasses it wouldn't be a problem, but that's another item I can't stand, wearing glasses. And while I'm ranting, I might as well call out the idiot interior designers who think chrome on the dash is a good idea. Don't meet me in a dark alley. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
I don't know if this reflection problem (see picture) is just for certain brands of tint or certain intensities (mine is dark), but as you can see, the white interior casts a major reflection on the driver's (and passenger's) side rear view mirrors when it's sunny. I really like the white interior. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this problem. Any reasonable suggestions?
I certainly noticed these reflections in the path of the side mirrors before I ever had my windows tinted. If anything, I think this reflection has bothered me less since the windows were tinted. However, with more bright sunny days lately, I have been considering getting one of those pre-cut vinyl overlays in black just because the direct glare from that white dashboard trim when looking forward is a bit annoying. (It’s not bothersome with sunglasses on though.)

Let me add though that both my girlfriend and I love the white interior (seats and door panels). Six months of ownership and it still looks really sharp and we’re both still glad we opted for the white interiors in our Model 3’s. I’ll definitely do it again for any future Tesla.

polarized sunglasses will help cut any glare, and is healthy for your eyes too. Best bet is to find some that fit well, and start using them before you develop floaters etc in your eyes.

I haven't noticed this issues on my white interior 3, but I can see it happening when the stars align. I wonder if different tints are more anti reflective than others?

I noticed it right away with the white dash on the chevy bolt. Hard to see out the front window!

polarized sunglasses will help cut any glare, and is healthy for your eyes too. Best bet is to find some that fit well, and start using them before you develop floaters etc in your eyes.

I haven't noticed this issues on my white interior 3, but I can see it happening when the stars align. I wonder if different tints are more anti reflective than others?

I noticed it right away with the white dash on the chevy bolt. Hard to see out the front window!
Polarized sunglasses do not help with my glare. But I think you got it right when you said that some tints may be more reflective than others. And, of course, the darker the worse it is.

Hoping this thread is still active.

Just had my M3, white interior, tinted with Lumar Films Ceramic at 20% (all windows except windshield) and the interior glare / reflection is pretty bad. I don't think it was like this prior to the tint, although it's hard to compare as it's been a lot sunnier outside over the last week.

White dash strip is the biggest offender, but I can also see the rest of the interior (passenger seat, console) and myself (that's the worst!). Is this type of reflection normal with a 20% tint -- I'd expect to see a lot more complaining on these forums if it was.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_132924.jpg
    IMG_20200429_132924.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_20200501_101724.jpg
    IMG_20200501_101724.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20200501_102419.jpg
    IMG_20200501_102419.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 202
Just had my M3, white interior, tinted with Lumar Films Ceramic at 20% (all windows except windshield) and the interior glare / reflection is pretty bad. I don't think it was like this prior to the tint, although it's hard to compare as it's been a lot sunnier outside over the last week.

I have Xpel Prime XR Plus tint and the blue tinted SUMA Performance mirrors and I was getting the same white reflection of the white dash piece that you are. I finally wrapped the white dash piece with a matrix black vinyl. The dash looks very monochromatic now, but at least the reflection is gone.

This is not just a tinted windows and white interior problem. I have a dark grey faux-metallic vinyl wrap covering the wooden dash trim. Even with no additional window tinting, when the angle of the sun is right, I lose all visibility to one or the other of my side view mirrors from the reflection off the wrap. It's worse than the photos above. If it's really critical, I have to roll down the window to see the mirror. Thankfully, it's not often, so I put up with it to get rid of the wood look that I really do not like.
This. I have the same problem with dark interior. I believe it may be due to the design of the dash where there are no displays directly in front of the driver. In other cars the driver displays break up the lines of the dash, avoiding this reflection issue.

I have Xpel Prime XR Plus tint and the blue tinted SUMA Performance mirrors and I was getting the same white reflection of the white dash piece that you are. I finally wrapped the white dash piece with a matrix black vinyl. The dash looks very monochromatic now, but at least the reflection is gone.
Yea, sounds like getting the dash wrapped is mandatory at this point. I'm still wondering how much of it is due to the tint, as almost everything in the driver seat, dash, and passenger seat are being reflected.

Yea, sounds like getting the dash wrapped is mandatory at this point. I'm still wondering how much of it is due to the tint, as almost everything in the driver seat, dash, and passenger seat are being reflected.

Great question. My car was tinted in the spring of 2019 when we were still getting cloudy and wet weather. I didn't notice the reflection until the sunny days of late spring and summer.